First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
@MeanMrWolf if I recall correctly there is a TSB for the 8.4 Uconnect when it constantly crashes. I'd look into that. You can also see if you can update the radio firmware. On the Uconnect web page you can put your VIN in and it may have a new version that you can download to a USB key to update your radio.
Sponsored

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

@MeanMrWolf if I recall correctly there is a TSB for the 8.4 Uconnect when it constantly crashes. I'd look into that. You can also see if you can update the radio firmware. On the Uconnect web page you can put your VIN in and it may have a new version that you can download to a USB key to update your radio.
I looked up the TSB, and it seemed only for 2018 models. I'll have the dealer look at it tomorrow while the trackbar is being worked on. I've already checked a few times, and the Uconnect page says my radio is up-to-date for firmware. It's just me venting and documenting at this point. Mostly because I know the dealer will likely report "unable to reproduce".

Damn thing froze on the "accept" page this morning, then rebooted.

Guppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee
Hi!

New to the forum because I can’t seem to get a solid answer from the dealer. I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the “Favorites” portion of my radio has been working intermittent at best. It’s really just started within the last month.

I’ll get the aural alert that one of my saved favorites is “on-air”, but when I go to either click the alert or go to my favorites list, it’s empty. I’ve seen some videos on doing soft resets, and I’ve tried them, but they don’t seem to reset anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

I was running the previous 8.4N (non-car play) Uconnect in my Cherokee and it never had the bugs and gaffs this one has shown in the approximately three weeks I've owned my JLU. Issues observed:

1. Going into reverse I get a blue screen after backup camera comes on. Screen and Uconnect become unresponsive. You have to shutdown and reboot by turning Jeep off and opening/closing door and restarting. It has only occurred three times, but nothing like that occurred with previous 8.4 systems I've used/owned.
  2. Audio drop out/skipping when using SXM radio. Acts like the radio has lost signal briefly but occurs in areas the Cherokee never had issues and isn't reproducible in the same area later. Occurs if the top is open, or closed.
  3. Text messaging alerts have stopped popping up over the last couple of days, again, intermittent. Plugging the phone into Carplay "fixes" issue by transferring functions over to carplay. iPhone running iOS 13 beta
  4. Text messaging alerts don't pop when in Carplay mode - unplugging and replugging in cable fixes issue. Cables have been changed, the same issue. iPhone running iOS 13 beta, unknown version of Uconnect firmware. I can't seem to find the version information in this model.
  5. Uconnect system has rebooted twice while driving along. Screen powers off, and "Jeep" logo appears, bringing the system back online. It may not be a reboot, it may be a kernel panic as route information did not need to be reprogrammed.
  6. Route information alerts for upcoming turnoffs, etc does not lower volume when on a phone call. You can't hear phone calls over the uconnect system.
  7. Favourites for SXM send an alert, but the alert disappears very quickly, and no favourites are showing when you tap browse button. Also intermittent stops working, then starts working again. Occurs even during the same drive (IE not rebooting the system by turning car off/opening doors.)
I feel there are a few other issues, but I can't recall them right now. @JeepCares
Hi
I was running the previous 8.4N (non-car play) Uconnect in my Cherokee and it never had the bugs and gaffs this one has shown in the approximately three weeks I've owned my JLU. Issues observed:

1. Going into reverse I get a blue screen after backup camera comes on. Screen and Uconnect become unresponsive. You have to shutdown and reboot by turning Jeep off and opening/closing door and restarting. It has only occurred three times, but nothing like that occurred with previous 8.4 systems I've used/owned.
  2. Audio drop out/skipping when using SXM radio. Acts like the radio has lost signal briefly but occurs in areas the Cherokee never had issues and isn't reproducible in the same area later. Occurs if the top is open, or closed.
  3. Text messaging alerts have stopped popping up over the last couple of days, again, intermittent. Plugging the phone into Carplay "fixes" issue by transferring functions over to carplay. iPhone running iOS 13 beta
  4. Text messaging alerts don't pop when in Carplay mode - unplugging and replugging in cable fixes issue. Cables have been changed, the same issue. iPhone running iOS 13 beta, unknown version of Uconnect firmware. I can't seem to find the version information in this model.
  5. Uconnect system has rebooted twice while driving along. Screen powers off, and "Jeep" logo appears, bringing the system back online. It may not be a reboot, it may be a kernel panic as route information did not need to be reprogrammed.
  6. Route information alerts for upcoming turnoffs, etc does not lower volume when on a phone call. You can't hear phone calls over the uconnect system.
  7. Favourites for SXM send an alert, but the alert disappears very quickly, and no favourites are showing when you tap browse button. Also intermittent stops working, then starts working again. Occurs even during the same drive (IE not rebooting the system by turning car off/opening doors.)
I feel there are a few other issues, but I can't recall them right now. @JeepCares

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Hi!

New to the forum because I can’t seem to get a solid answer from the dealer. I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the “Favorites” portion of my radio has been working intermittent at best. It’s really just started within the last month.

I’ll get the aural alert that one of my saved favorites is “on-air”, but when I go to either click the alert or go to my favorites list, it’s empty. I’ve seen some videos on doing soft resets, and I’ve tried them, but they don’t seem to reset anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi
While this is a Wrangler JL forum, the issue seems to be across a number of platforms running the 2018+ model year of the UConnect system (I believe it's alternately referred to as Uconnect 8.4 generation 4 and 8.4C) It's been in production since 2017 for the 2018 model year Charger, Challenger, GC, JL, and Cherokees. I've not heard a lot of issues from the KL forums, but have heard some grumbles from the Charger/Challenger and GC forums. There was a TSB for 2018 model years that updated the firmware. You may want to have your dealer check on that.

The favourites issue you're mentioning I get as well. I had thought it might have been related to CarPlay, but it occurs when I have my phone plugged in, or not.

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Dealership says "we aren't replacing the radio, we've got a TSB saying don't replace a fix is coming". I'm going to talk to support and see what they say @JeepCares can you comment/confirm?

Sponsored

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Reboot number... I don't even know anymore. No audio drop symptoms. It just went black and rebooted.

Guppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee
Thank you!

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Yeah, I've stopped counting the reboots. This morning it muted after reading a text message (not in carplay mode) and wouldn't unmute until I turned the Jeep off. Then the volume came back until the auto-off timed out, and it shut down.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Dealership says "we aren't replacing the radio, we've got a TSB saying don't replace a fix is coming". I'm going to talk to support and see what they say @JeepCares can you comment/confirm?
It’s actually very hard to get a radio just slapped in there without a semi PITA process on everyone’s end... and YES 9 out of 10 star cases or bulletins are bold at bottom and state do NOT replace radio as it will not fix condition.
For example....

4D26E793-D35F-43A8-950B-12041D7F7D30.jpeg

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

It’s actually very hard to get a radio just slapped in there without a semi PITA process on everyone’s end... and YES 9 out of 10 star cases or bulletins are bold at bottom and state do NOT replace radio as it will not fix condition.
For example....

4D26E793-D35F-43A8-950B-12041D7F7D30.jpeg
Thanks, all well and good, except I've got nothing installed on the thing yet. I know you're just using this as an example, but JFC, the thing's got cellular data capabilities for OTA updates. Release patches for things. Code the device so when it crashes it dumps the system logs back up to FCA's engineers. Can't to increment patches? Time to re-write the OS os you can. Monolithic firmware updates aren't helping anyone.

Sponsored

Guppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee
UPDATE.....the dealer is doing an update next week that will take about 4 hours. I got an email from FCA that had an update version/number. Oddly the dealer had no clue about this. I’ll update once I know the update worked.

flyingmonkey

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD), RAM 1500 LARAMIE
UPDATE.....the dealer is doing an update next week that will take about 4 hours. I got an email from FCA that had an update version/number. Oddly the dealer had no clue about this. I’ll update once I know the update worked.
Anything with this?
My UConnect/USB is going bonkers...
Thanks.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I found that if the USB connection seems to cut off and on here is the fix! wait a minute and unplug then plug back the connection. I believe the processor that was installed with the 7" radio is slow in comparison to the phones made today. I am using a Samsung S10 and this happens often and just being patient helps.

Guppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee
Anything with this?
My UConnect/USB is going bonkers...
Thanks.
Yeah.....they had it two days in a row for 6 hours each day. My Uconnect system wouldn’t take the update. So now they’ve started the process of ordering a new Uconnect system.

flyingmonkey

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD), RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Yeah.....they had it two days in a row for 6 hours each day. My Uconnect system wouldn’t take the update. So now they’ve started the process of ordering a new Uconnect system.
Just got back from dealer. They said they couldn’t do anything as they’re waiting for an update.
We’ll see...
Good luck with yours.
Sponsored