Sponsored

Cleaning Mud off the engine by spraying water

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Actually doesn’t the jl now have 48, and what about Tesla, leaf, volt, Prius and the rest. Gone are the days where saying it’s a car it’s safe cause it’s just 12V. That was my point. I deal with DC systems that will make you DRT. So I’m just trying to kill the old adage that DC is safe while AC isn’t. Both are extremely dangerous in the right circumstances

Valid point but in the context of spraying water on a 12v battery is a nonissue. The thread got sidetracked about the conductivity of water. I did say DC when I should have been more clear and said 12v which I thought was obvious in the context.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arnusoriano

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
I ended up spraying gently with a garden sprinkler. Like very low water pressure but enough to clean. I took my time too. I just covered the battery and the air intake. So much mud came out of the engine hahha. After that I didn’t get any weird noise or vibrations. It was really dirty too bad I didn’t took pictures of that..luckily most of the mud was not on the battery area so it was just on the opposite side of the battery. I would not use high pressure to wash it. Just low pressure and take ur time cleaning thoroughly...

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
How do you think a dealer cleans all new and used cars? A lot of them just use a pressure washer. I've detailed hundreds of vehicles with a pressure washer and never once have had an issue. Spray as much water on the battery as you want, you'll never short it out. You'd have to have to a single continuous stream of water between each post to short it. So unless you are purposely trying or a complete dork, it's not a problem. But with the intake being so exposed with the hood open, either cover with a plastic bag or just avoid it all together. If you have a pressure washer, check out the Ryobi undercarriage/water broom. Makes cleaning mud off the underside a lot easier. But most of the time, I just stick my sprinkler underneath for 15-20 minutes.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Is that why they put a wet sponge on the head of the perp in the electric chair? Maybe it's just to keep him comfy.
Salt water is used, the presence of salt makes the differance. Water will never complete a 12v circuit. Fill a cup with water and drop 12v positive in the water, conect the negative to a test light ground and touch the light to the water and see what happens. Nothing until you touch the positive wire itself. The water will have no effect because it is such a poor conductor.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Salt water is used, the presence of salt makes the differance. Water will never complete a 12v circuit. Fill a cup with water and drop 12v positive in the water, conect the negative to a test light ground and touch the light to the water and see what happens. Nothing until you touch the positive wire itself. The water will have no effect because it is such a poor conductor.
Reminds me of good ‘ole science experiments at work. Haha

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
What’s the consensus here? Some say not to pressure wash, others say use degreaser or Simple Green with a regular garden hose, others say cover alternator or fuses, and yet others say spray away!

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Totally curious now. Why do you die if you hop in a bath with a plugged in appliance like a hair dryer?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Totally curious now. Why do you die if you hop in a bath with a plugged in appliance like a hair dryer?
Going to run tub and grab toaster. If nothing happens i’ll Post here.

Sponsored

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Buy an engine degreaser/cleaner. Typically in a spray can. Have the engine be warm but not at full temp, like after a quick drive or something. Spray the engine with cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes while the engine is not running. Start up the jeep, get your hose out and spray the engine compartment without overly focusing on one spot. You will be fine. Ive done this countless times over the years.

Resized_20190714_134935.jpeg

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer

ChrisFix has a great video on supercleaning the engine. I skipped all the arguing above.

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Keep a can of spray silicone handy. Apply to engine bay BEFORE wheeling and mud/dirt hoses right off. Dirt track racing trick. Used cooking spray back in the day. The silicone is a good underbody detail finish as well. Keeps wheel wells and frame components looking new.

BrendanMarine

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I say spray away with the caveats mentioned above.

I did a washdown of my engine last night without issue. It's difficult to get to the engine cooling fans (at least from up top) so I don't know if they may still have mud on them (if they ever did). I "think" the engine fan (or fans... anyone know if there's 1 or 2 fans for engine cooling?) is running smoother but not hot enough to spool up to full speed this morning.

I haven't tried accessing the fan from underneath yet so that may be easier. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the cooling fan (2.0T motor)?
You ever figure out how to access this?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This is almost, a three year old Thread…
Sponsored