Sponsored

Help with picking the right Teraflex for me ...

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
I'm looking for some assistance guys. I think I've decided to go with a Teraflex lift for my 2018 JL Sport. I've just heard a lot of good things with them, just like MC and RK, but the cost is much too high for me with them. I enjoy hitting the trails, ripping up some mud and snow, but it's also my DD. There's not a whole lot of rock crawling here so I'm not planning on much of that.

There are so many different sets with so many parts out there. Any recommendations on which set I should go with? Should I go with a set with the adjustable control arms? Or just go with one of their basic springs / shocks sets? I'm leaning toward getting 37's over the 35's if that helps.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
But with a 2.5", you're saying they aren't needed?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
But with a 2.5", you're saying they aren't needed?
I personally would use adjustable control arms for any lift, I don’t like using relocation brackets because they hang down and you can’t dial in more caster if you need to. I just like the ground clearance and adjustability of the adj. arms. I use rk xfactor arms, you can see how they’re designed for clearance.

F239F071-C4E4-4C09-905F-53F4A9766C69.jpeg
484DC768-231B-4EF0-B16C-F43B63180BBB.jpeg

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Nice! So if I went that route, what package would I want? Sorry for all the newb questions, but they have multiple set ups to choose from.

HolyNite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
I'm looking for some assistance guys. I've decided to go with a Teraflex lift for my 2018 JL Sport. Ive just heard a lot of good things with them, not that there aren't other good ones too. I wanted MC, but the cost is much too high for me. I enjoy hitting the trails, ripping up some mud and snow, but it's also my DD. There's not a whole lot of rock crawling here so I'm not planning on much of that.

Any recommendations on which set I should go with? Should I go with a set with the adjustable control arms? Or just go with one of their basic springs / shocks sets? I'm leaning toward getting 37's over the 35's if that helps.

Thanks

Depends on how much money you wanna spend, minimum you'll need front lower control arms to adjust caster angle.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! So if I went that route, what package would I want? Sorry for all the newb questions, but they have multiple set ups to choose from.
AF3C64E3-F6D3-4850-8176-D32F1888BCAE.jpeg

This is the minimum I would do if your going with 37s. You’ll still need to purchase shocks with this set up, but this is just an example of the parts you should get in whichever kit you go with.

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
AF3C64E3-F6D3-4850-8176-D32F1888BCAE.jpeg

This is the minimum I would do if your going with 37s. You’ll still need to purchase shocks with this set up, but this is just an example of the parts you should get in whichever kit you go with.

Thanks so much Roky for all the help! I was just afraid to go over 2.5" because I've heard of axial changes being needed then.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much Roky for all the help! I was just afraid to go over 2.5" because I've heard of axial changes being needed then.
No problem.....the lift is not going to affect the axles, the tire size will. With the Dana 30 and 35 axles you need to be careful with 37s. I wouldn’t do any hard wheeling. Most guys either swap out to Dana 44s or truss ( brace) the axles. Also you may notice a reduction in power if you have the manual transmission so you might consider re gearing to 4.88 or 5.13s . It’s not as noticeable with the automatic.

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
No problem.....the lift is not going to affect the axles, the tire size will. With the Dana 30 and 35 axles you need to be careful with 37s. I wouldn’t do any hard wheeling. Most guys either swap out to Dana 44s or truss ( brace) the axles. Also you may notice a reduction in power if you have the manual transmission so you might consider re gearing to 4.88 or 5.13s . It’s not as noticeable with the automatic.

Last question and I'll leave ya be lol, is a system like the Rock Krawler you recommended something a newb mechanic (but mechanically inclined) could install himself, or probably not a good idea?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Last question and I'll leave ya be lol, is a system like the Rock Krawler you recommended something a newb mechanic (but mechanically inclined) could install himself, or probably not a good idea?
You could install it, you’ll need a couple of floor jacks and some jack stands. You’ll have to get the frame up high enough to droop the axle enough to get the new springs in.

They have very good instructions, plus there’s a ton of install videos. I’d suggest watching one from start to finish first without doing anything so you’ll know how to prepare and what tools you’ll need to gather up.

Once you get everything done make sure the Jeeps on the ground off the jacks before you torque everything to spec. You’ll have to adjust the track bars to center your axles. Just measure from the spring housing to outside of the tire on both sides and make it the same.

Then I would recommend you take it and have an alignment done so you can adjust your caster with the control arms. Around 6 degrees of caster seems to be the sweet spot. I’m running 6.5 degrees on my rig.

And no worries.... you’re not bugging me, happy to help.
Sponsored