Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
I see all sorts of quality, good value kits pop up when I google/search for 4.88's or 5.13's but when I click on them they always end up being for JK's. It actually happens with all sorts of aftermarket stuff and it's really fng annoying. We're going into the 3rd model year of these things - where in the holy F are the parts? I pass 47 new JL's before I even get out my godam driveway. And F all of these paid, sponsored sites that pop up for JK parts when I enter JL in the search bar. It even happens when I put quotes around JL. Even on MOPAR'S SITE!

Anyway, when I put 4.88's in my Silverado a few years ago I was under $500 shipped out the door, not including tax. That was for front and rear Motive Gear ring & pinion, a full axle rebuild kit with Timken bearings for the rear and a new pinion bear for the front IFS. (Didn't go crazy with the front diff.) I can't find anything even remotely close to that kind of price for this stupid JL. I believe both of the axles are somewhat newer versions for the new body, so I dont know what JK stuff works or not and I dont want to find out the hard way. I've got a Sport with posi so have the 44 in the rear BTW.

So anybody have any good places to go to get this stuff? I bought my last stuff from Summit but all they seem to have are Yukon gears for over $300 a pop, then all of the other shit on top of it. I'm not looking to change all of the axle bearings since the thing is still basically new. Seems like I should be able to find a pair of ring & pinions for 400 bucks and then spend a few more dollars on R&P bearings and crush sleeve. I don't feel like I'm crazy for thinking I should be able to spend under $500 to get this done.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the (usually present) rant.

Signed,

Guy who can't wait to start seeing how awful this M6 is when towing.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Dana was the only name in the game for a while. I think my Rubi 5.13s were around 1000-1200. There are not some aftermarket companies making them now and the price is a little lower. Nowhere near $500 though. Might be lucky and get around 800. That’s f/r r&p and master install kits.

Brett

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
A R&P by a decent name really shouldn't be more than a coupe hundred bucks. Not really sure why they would be particularly expensive compared to other differentials. Also dont need a master install kit. IMO anyway. I havent ever been inside a 44, but how much different can it be than a comparable GM axles?

Yukon, Richmond, Motive - all have JK 30's & 44's for under 2 bills. Basic install kits well under $100.

Last edited:

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Last week, I just bought Dana 5:13 gears off Amazon for about 205 each front and rear (normal retail seems to be 299/ea), and the minor rebuild kit for about 87/108ish each. The gears were listed as "1 only available" but I don't necessarily believe in that.

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
How do you know they were the correct ones? Have a link?

OP
OP
anotherWS6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
  • Banned
Nine hundred and the rest are fro older Jeeps. What is your point?
Sponsored