Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@tcinlex ... Test drive each... take the Pepsi Challenge & let that determine your decision. Sure, stick/manual each has their own pros/cons. The JL clutch isn't quite the same as the older models.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I got the impression that the main benefit to the manual is because you like driving / the feel of manual better.
Correct.

No question the ZF-based 850RE is the best automatic ever put in a Wrangler, but I feel like you lose part of the driving experience in an automatic Jeep.

OP
OP

tcinlex

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru outback
Manual, for the win. Smooth, fun, and not boring.
I'm an old Grateful Dead fan and also a big Packer fan (go to Green Bay most every year for a game). Being as you're a Dead fan from Appleton Wisconsin, I think I'll take that as good Karma and a sign that the manual is the way to go! :)

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
...Cold Weather Group...Plan to ride country gravel and dirt back roads but not serious off road stuff....Any reason or benefits that would make you say we should go with either the regular automatic or Turbo automatic over the manual?...
May be obvious, but easy to overlook. The Manual does not have remote start as part of the Cold Weather Group, and there is no way to control the heated seat auto settings in the menu system if you have a manual and the CWG. The manual also is easier to control the ESS, and doesn't have Auto Park.

For the conditions you mention, the manual is great. I personally enjoy the manual over rocks, you get a lower crawl ratio and the jeep just walks up most of the rocks, but doesn't sound like that's your use.

Auto: Biggest reason to get v6 auto is remote start (given your situation imo)
Turbo: Better umpf off the line, likely better gas mileage, but newer with more complicated parts that can go wrong.

All in all I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but there are a few trade-offs.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an old Grateful Dead fan and also a big Packer fan (go to Green Bay most every year for a game)....
Well, that should make the decision all the more easier. Isn't Aaron Rodgers..."clutch"?

cost_01.gif

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Wait... you won a Jeep?
thats what he said. we need details.

as to this topic i have the automatic and love it. smooth and helps out on the fuel economy. also as mentioned. it you are getting the cold weather group, the manual is out.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I'm an old Grateful Dead fan and also a big Packer fan (go to Green Bay most every year for a game). Being as you're a Dead fan from Appleton Wisconsin, I think I'll take that as good Karma and a sign that the manual is the way to go! :)
Yes! My biggest worry about manual is that I've driven manual Jettas for the last 10 years and that the Jeep shifting would be too clunky. But I was amazed at how much it shifts like a car. It took a little bit for it to feel broken in, so I had some initial worries. But I'm now 7K miles in and am 100% happy I went manual.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a custom grille like this one...

upload_2019-9-11_7-57-56.jpeg

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
May be obvious, but easy to overlook. The Manual does not have remote start as part of the Cold Weather Group, and there is no way to control the heated seat auto settings in the menu system if you have a manual and the CWG. The manual also is easier to control the ESS, and doesn't have Auto Park.

For the conditions you mention, the manual is great. I personally enjoy the manual over rocks, you get a lower crawl ratio and the jeep just walks up most of the rocks, but doesn't sound like that's your use.

Auto: Biggest reason to get v6 auto is remote start (given your situation imo)
Turbo: Better umpf off the line, likely better gas mileage, but newer with more complicated parts that can go wrong.

All in all I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but there are a few trade-offs.
It was tough to go with my manual and give up, what would have been, my first ever remote-starting vehicle. My wife claims hers is really nice here in Wisconsin. I wouldn't know, but I do recall the days of scraping my windshield every morning when I didn't have a garage to park in. Those days are gone, but it reminds me it could always be worse!

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Well, that should make the decision all the more easier. Isn't Aaron Rodgers..."clutch"?

cost_01.gif
Lol, that was a good one. Well done (and true).

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just joined the site and about to buy our 1st Wrangler. Great site, have learned much, thanks! We are planning to order a 2020 Sahara with options we want (8.4 Infotainment, Cold Weather Group, Tow Package). Live in SW Virginia, it will be my primary car but am retired so not a commuter and live in a rural area so not much traffic. Plan to ride country gravel and dirt back roads but not serious off road stuff. Thinking of buying a manual, haven’t had one in years but have always enjoyed (other than when sitting in traffic) and figure heck if I’m getting a Jeep, manual seems to be the way to go. Any reason or benefits that would make you say we should go with either the regular automatic or Turbo automatic over the manual? Any other options you think we should get (and why)? Thanks!
Get the Auto, it's a Chrysler built ZF 8-speed tranny, probably one of the best tranny's available today. You won't be disappointed with it.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Frankly I think modern automatic transmissions make manuals obsolete. Manual shifting was a thing because automatics were so slow, sluggish, unreliable and taxing the already emissions-choked horsepower.

Sure it's more expensive to repair, no doubt about it.

As for the "driving experience", I never hear those same people bemoaning their power steering and power brakes both of which all but eliminate the feel of what's happening beneath their tires.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well Tom, being retired also I look at it this way. If the manual is what you want, that's the one you should get. When you retire, it's time to play. ;):)

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
In my past cars I greatly preferred stick (BMW 135i, Audi A3) unless the auto trans was something special, like my Audi S5 was. Audi's DSG transmissions are a blast. With the Jeep, I found that I loved the 8 speed auto with the V6 - lots of fun to drive and you even get a bit of fuel cut "fart" on upshift under power like the Audi. It's a really responsive box that doesn't take the fun out of driving and is an absolute godsend on difficult obstacles on the trail.
Sponsored