Are paddle shifters too much to ask?

NWGN515

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F Type R
its just a paddle shifting is not any safer than a full auto nor manual trans when you have teenagers and adults that think they can text and drive safely. Plus jeeps are not really meant to be driving 100 mph where you need to have both hands on the wheel at every second they are not sports cars by any means.. but as you can see. manual transmission is the only way to get a jeep in my book. more control and less electronics the better!
For the record a GTI isnt a sports car either.
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
It may be Matt. I learned it under the premise of reducing the distance to the left or right one could move the vehicle when avoiding an emergent bad situation, and risk tipping it.:)

Thanks for the color commentary.
Interesting concept and it makes sense. Could be that I just learned something new:surprised:

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
My wife’s Outback has paddle shifters. She had no idea what they are. She accidentally downshifted once, thought she broke car. I like the Outback, but it’s not a WRX. Not needed in an Outback, nor In a Wrangler. At least not for me.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
just an fyi, not sure if you know it, but you can control your speed in downhill descent. it starts off like at 2mph but you can bump the speed up in increments. 2mpg is great for sketchy downhill terrain. if not so sketchy, bump it up quite a bit. cant recall off hand but i believe you bump the stick up to increase the speed. it is an amazing piece of technology in our jeeps. though purists prefer the challenge of just doing it themselves.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
just an fyi, not sure if you know it, but you can control your speed in downhill descent. it starts off like at 2mph but you can bump the speed up in increments. 2mpg is great for sketchy downhill terrain. if not so sketchy, bump it up quite a bit. cant recall off hand but i believe you bump the stick up to increase the speed. it is an amazing piece of technology in our jeeps. though purists prefer the challenge of just doing it themselves.
I had it bumped up. It would not go to the selected speed. I think pitch and roll also keep the speed down. Driving it myself is just more fun.

Sponsored

SunStormJLU

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Jl Rubicon
Occupation
Electrican
Vehicle Showcase
Found the millennial...
Haha I’m a millennial and I would never ruin a Jeep with paddle shifters haha!! Mine even have the 2.0l which is quite the engine, In my opinion. Plenty of acceleration, before the 38’s! With them it’s still quicker then the 3.6 but I prefer the ability to crawl over anything. It’s the wife’s daily driver but I’ve spent more time in it on the trails then the pavement. This guy just doesn’t know how to use his jeep

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Grand Cherokees have (or had) paddle shifters. So I dont see a wrangler having them completely out of the realm of possibility. It's no different than the manual shifting the autos have just a different place.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I found this post to be so funny I had to chime in. So don't take my response too seriously. Paddle shifters on a Jeep....cant even imagine the need. I have had cars with paddle shifters and well...great if you are trying to get the most speed/performance out of your sports car. But a JEEP....no thanks. You won't find me trying to accelerate into an apex, braking hard and shifting while I drift my Jeep around an asphalt corner. I cant even think of a point while driving the JEEP on or off road where that would have been needed, dirt, snow or sand. Off road... going slow....On the freeway...umm going just above the requested speed limit...but oh my...taking a turn and trying to shift up or down as needed....WHY? I much rather chill and have the radio controls on the steering wheel. If a mistake is made I change the channel or volume goes up. At least I wont break something,. I hate that more than not having paddle shifters. Then again, some people lower their Jeeps, put low profile tires on and add nitros...why not. If thats your thing...paddle shifters...all the way.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Well...
Paddle shifters are fun, I have enjoyed them in my daughter's CrossTrek, but they are on the wheel, bleh. The 911 GT4 was quite fun too, drove it during a autocross course I was instructing, they were properly mounted on the column. Have more fun with a manual though, I guess I'm just old school. But, I can see where, for some, paddles would be fun in a Wrangler. Just not for me, I certainly wouldn't pay more for them. But, I can appreciate what other people like.

Also, Grey Fox is not one of the boys to me. She is a lady & I will always treat her like a lady.

Now about 2 hands on the wheel. It is the only way I drive, it's what I'm used to. Even when shifting a manual, my hand is off the wheel for a split second. But, I am used to Autocross, time trials, & EVOC. So, I guess I'm just an old fart, or just driving fast all the time. ;)

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
If you guys like to shift so much why not get a manual? I think you're going to kill your trans early shifting like a madman. I am currently renting a Challenger Scat Pack with paddle shifters and its pretty cool but if I owned it I'd refrain from shifting around.

Sponsored

MarkBehr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL
So now people cant post their opinions and preferences on here without getting trashed? So what if he would like paddle shifters on a jeep. I wouldnt mind the option either. I like using the manual mode myself but the shifter sits too low.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Unfortunately, this is what most manufactures get wrong. Paddle sifters should be mounted to the steering column, not the wheel.
Truly spoken like someone who only drives on straight roads.

Try driving any curvy or windy mountain road, highway, or dare I say freeway. And then imagine as you are driving 50-80mph (depending) and holding the wheel 10-20 degrees either that you are trying to reach your fingers back to where the paddle shifters are stationary on the control column because they are not mounted in a fixed position on the steering wheel where your fingers are usually located.

I have driven a LOT with paddle shifters and I love using them. But I do not think they really have a place on a Jeep. Just not the style/feel/vehicle whatever you want to call it.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I am sorry but this post is silly. If you want paddle shifters you definitely bought the wrong vehicle. I drove manuals for a very long time and using the stick to shift was not unsafe at all, I mean I was driving normal not like a maniac.

You need a Bronco.

Or a prius.

MarkBehr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL
I am sorry but this post is silly. If you want paddle shifters you definitely bought the wrong vehicle. I drove manuals for a very long time and using the stick to shift was not unsafe at all, I mean I was driving normal not like a maniac.

You need a Bronco.

Or a prius.
What does paddle shifters have to do with driving like a maniac? Why cant a Wrangler have paddle shifters? Why is that a problem wanting paddle shifters or a jeep?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
What does paddle shifters have to do with driving like a maniac? Why cant a Wrangler have paddle shifters? Why is that a problem wanting paddle shifters or a jeep?
I think most owners would say they are unnecessary. You have a different view so please tell us what the advantages would be.
Sponsored