Sponsored

What are my options for locker / LS front Dana 30?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Finally was able to go off-roading. Went to Moab and the TORQ locker did amazing. Out of the 30 Jeeps on our ride, I was the third least built and did exceptionally well. I had no hassles the locker and my rear LSD pulled my over all obstacles. We did all 6/10 difficulty.
Great to hear man, mines sitting in the garage waiting for my rcv shafts and motobilt diff cover so i can install it all. If i could get my hands on some better ball joints id like to do that while its all apart too but cant find any haha. Cant wait! Im with @rcpeters curious on gas mileage drop
Sponsored

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 JKU Sahara
Any updates here on gas mileage at all? Or other updates overall of how it's performing after having been installed for this length of time?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates here on gas mileage at all? Or other updates overall of how it's performing after having been installed for this length of time?
No issues with mine so far. I lost maybe 1mpg between the locker and the full one piece axles. Its really not noticeable. And the added benefit way out weighs the negligible mpg loss

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
How does this affect winter driving with the FAD?

I was told in the past, it makes winter conditions worse as the front wheels will pull etc.

Edit
@stil2low how was it in the winter?

You going to put one in your JL?

Last edited:

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 JKU Sahara
How does this affect winter driving with the FAD?

I was told in the past, it makes winter conditions worse as the front wheels will pull etc.

Edit
@stil2low how was it in the winter?

You going to put one in your JL?
I'm Curious about winter driving as well. Was always told being locked out in the snow is a big no go?

Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Oh ok...I researched the True Trac and watched several YouTube videos showing it offroad with JK's. Looks like a low maintenance more economical mod for daily drivers who want a unique version of limited slip/almost locker. It doesnt look as effective as a locker and requires feathering the brakes while giving it gas at times to slow a spinning wheel and apply more power to wheel with traction. Feathering the brake while giving some gas with a 6 speed sounds not ideal offroad and could result in stalling. Thoughts?
Obv an old post but..... I have a trutrac in the rear of my silverado. It works very well on pavement and dry dirt. In snow and slippery mud it can be very frustrating because it will often not do shit. It requires a certain amount of resistance in order to engage and sometimes there isnt enough traction - BOTH WHEELS NEED SOOOOME TRACTION - to make it engage. That's why they say feather the brakes when a wheel is off of the ground. Fuck all that noise. I've gotten mildly stuck in snow and watching the $500 posi unit doing nothing, one wheel not even thinking about moving while one spins, sucks.

Having lived with it for several years I would NEVER put one in a 4wd vehicle again. I would not hesitate to put one in a street car, as long as I'm under about 500fwhp and/or don't plan on drag racing with slicks. They are not weak, but on the small end of the strength scale.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I'm Curious about winter driving as well. Was always told being locked out in the snow is a big no go?
Lockers are not meant for on road snow driving. (or any on road driving really) They will make the front end of your vehicle do strange things when engaged. And when talking about mechanical lockers that engage and disengage themselves you get the added bonus of them doing so suddenly while mid-turn.

Curious if the guy who got one has tried it in adverse weather conditions.

The factory Rubi e-locker or air lockers are really the best bet for the front axle. There when you need it, open diff when you don't.

Trust me, you do NOT want both of your front tires turning at the exact same speed while the wheel is turned.

rcpeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2019
Abso-fucking-lutely zero. Jesus man. :facepalm:
I've installed one. It's at least 1 MPG. @anotherWS6 loves to speculate but he is clearly biased to the dramatic.

The jeep handling does change the torq locker installed. I find it predictable and I'm just more intentional about being in 2wd or 4wd. The same aurgument used against front auto locker can be used for AWD over 4WD on snow(i.e. trust me you don't want front and back locked in a turn). Clearly it's ok to have some on road traction trade offs for better/simpler off road traction.

For me it's been great. If have a sport and do your own wrenching it's price to performance and simplicity is worth consideration.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Ridiculous. Prove it there honcho.

A-huh.