Sponsored

Goose Gear Plate System for the JL

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
42C8A5A5-7791-4B91-9724-20A73AD38990.jpeg
I did this. It’s not a raised platform with storage, but it took a half-hour, cost me nothing, and allows me to sleep in the Jeep, which was my objective. 50 cal ammo cans in the floorboards are the perfect height to support the front. All my tools and recovery gear, including axe, saw, shovel and Hi-lift fit underneath.
I’m going to paint it black and call it good.
I have thought about doing something like this for our next project (out of sheetmetal)....simple and relatively inexpensive. I don't think most people really care about the rear cargo portion that much. Sadly, I think the shipping would kill the whole "relatively inexpensive" part.

Would you mind posting the general dimensions of your platform?

Doc
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
It’s 35” front to back. That allows the front seats full rearward travel. 68” platform, but with front seats run forward, there’s 76” available, with an 8” crack up front.
If I was going to manufacture it, I’d hinge an 8” piece across the front so one could have the full 76” platform for sleeping.
Mine is 40.5” wide at back, flaring to 48” in front of the wheelwells.
Could be wider up front, but would take a full sheet, and I just had a half-sheet handy.
A hinge across the back would also be handy for access to the stuff in the floorboards.
I just whipped this one out to test the concept. I’ll probably make a more refined version sometime. That might take 2 hours.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
It’s 35” front to back. That allows the front seats full rearward travel. 68” platform, but with front seats run forward, there’s 76” available, with an 8” crack up front.
If I was going to manufacture it, I’d hinge an 8” piece across the front so one could have the full 76” platform for sleeping.
Mine is 40.5” wide at back, flaring to 48” in front of the wheelwells.
Could be wider up front, but would take a full sheet, and I just had a half-sheet handy.
A hinge across the back would also be handy for access to the stuff in the floorboards.
I just whipped this one out to test the concept. I’ll probably make a more refined version sometime. That might take 2 hours.
Thanks for the input and the measurements. Were the seats as big of a PITA to take out as in the JKU?

Doc

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Thanks for the input and the measurements. Were the seats as big of a PITA to take out as in the JKU?

Don’t know. Never had one. Took about a half-hour with hand tools. Bolts are red-loctited in, so come out hard, but nothing tricky about it. A little cramped, short strokes with ratchet. 18mm deep socket. I needed a cheater pipe on my 3/8” ratchet to break them loose.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC

Sponsored

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rescue Green, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
42C8A5A5-7791-4B91-9724-20A73AD38990.jpeg
I did this. It’s not a raised platform with storage, but it took a half-hour, cost me nothing, and allows me to sleep in the Jeep, which was my objective. 50 cal ammo cans in the floorboards are the perfect height to support the front. All my tools and recovery gear, including axe, saw, shovel and Hi-lift fit underneath.
I’m going to paint it black and call it good.
Exactly what I'm thinking I need. :) What did you do for support underneath? I need storage space, and a level spot for my girl's kennel. I like the wood idea.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Exactly what I'm thinking I need. :) What did you do for support underneath? I need storage space, and a level spot for my girl's kennel. I like the wood idea.
For those interested in the DIY idea of doing a platform. We will be offering just the mounts from our Rear Seat Delete. Should make the project way easier and cut the price by a couple of hundred bucks.

Doc

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
My bracket was delivered today, installed it albeit with some hiccups.

The bracket directions were alright? Just an outline of the finished product. One of the nuts they sent was the wrong size. The bigger nut is supposed to be a 1/2 - 20 but I was sent a 1/2 -13 and I was about ready to mess up my bolt before I decided to just go try and find a replacement bolt. Ended up having to order it off Amazon.

Didn't purchase the actually goosegear plate system, but I'm going to diy platform this weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL Goose Gear Plate System for the JL 8BAAE811-210C-42E9-8AEE-58777EF35CC1_zps7vyfsrsy
Jeep Wrangler JL Goose Gear Plate System for the JL 8BAAE811-210C-42E9-8AEE-58777EF35CC1_zps7vyfsrsy
Man that looks good. I have a Tuffy Security deck on the way. I may remove the 60 split seats like you've done in the photo. That extra space doesn't look bad and it's a nice amount of extra space when on a trip! Leaving the single rear seat for a 'just in case' 3rd seat.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I did my own with help from a friend who has an awesome wood cutting machine!! He can certainly design one with the folded seats in mind.
Matt at https://www.nomi.design/

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
good stuff here! I want the goose gear stuff but having a REAL hard time with the price tag. What is so special about them that would command such a high price?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
good stuff here! I want the goose gear stuff but having a REAL hard time with the price tag. What is so special about them that would command such a high price?
nothing. It’s just they do all the computer cuts for you. It’s just wood. I always thought their systems were like a composite board material. If it were then ic old see it costing that much. But almost 1k for plywood. No thanks.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
nothing. It’s just they do all the computer cuts for you. It’s just wood. I always thought their systems were like a composite board material. If it were then ic old see it costing that much. But almost 1k for plywood. No thanks.
I was hoping you would give me all kinds of reasons so I could support buying it. LOL Looks like I'll be heading to home depot.

Looks like goose uses birch 1/2 inch with some bolstering of 1/2 strips of some type of wood on the bottom. Then some linex on the top.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I was hoping you would give me all kinds of reasons so I could support buying it. LOL Looks like I'll be heading to home depot.

Looks like goose uses birch 1/2 inch with some bolstering of 1/2 strips of some type of wood on the bottom. Then some linex on the top.
Here's my writeup on the stuff and install.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...all-full-rear-seat-delete.52098/#post-1200989

If I were to do it over, I might not... but I do not have tools, did not want to buy tools to make something, and would have ended up with a subpar POS that I would likely hate (because I suck at that kind of stuff, having no practice and no patience to build it multiple times ;)).

More than likely I would have settled for the Springtail option at 1/3 of the price (I did not see it until after I was 3 or 4 weeks into a non-refundable order):
http://store.springtailsolutions.com/Jeep-JL-Unlimited-4-Door-Rear-Seat-Delete_p_84.html

The Goose Gear is really nice and fit my need, but it is at heart just nicely-done CNC-cut coated plywood.

I was also bored AF during early COVID and needed something to look forward to! :beer:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I used the google machine along with calling goose gear. They use birch which is a hard wood plus it's expensive. They also use an "enhanced" LineX.

So that and along with precision cuts, threaded inserts, options for storage/fridge, ease of install it's probably worth it. But what killed goose gear for me was the wait time for it. 6-8 weeks.

So thinking home depot plywood and some herculiner is my path.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Here's my writeup on the stuff and install.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...all-full-rear-seat-delete.52098/#post-1200989

If I were to do it over, I might not... but I do not have tools, did not want to buy tools to make something, and would have ended up with a subpar POS that I would likely hate (because I suck at that kind of stuff, having no practice and no patience to build it multiple times ;)).

More than likely I would have settled for the Springtail option at 1/3 of the price (I did not see it until after I was 3 or 4 weeks into a non-refundable order):
http://store.springtailsolutions.com/Jeep-JL-Unlimited-4-Door-Rear-Seat-Delete_p_84.html

The Goose Gear is really nice and fit my need, but it is at heart just nicely-done CNC-cut coated plywood.

I was also bored AF during early COVID and needed something to look forward to! :beer:
I have some skills but would rather spend my time doing other things so I am with you. Since they cant build it for up to two months I have to do it. Start to finish and working on it sporadically I'll have it done in two weeks, with another two weeks for another platform on top of it to sleep on. This will give me another 9 inches of storage space above the platform and 17 inches where the seat was.
Sponsored