simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
Hey Folks
I am reading in here since a couple weeks and am in the process of buying a MY2019 JLUR.

It shall be a 2.2 eco Diesel AT8.

In EU/Germany we do not have a 3.0 diesel.

Further differences are all plastic bumpers at Rubicon models - I am in search of Original US Rubicon steel bumpers.
Further we do not have high clearance fenders on Rubicons and these ones are always unpainted on Rubicons.

If some of you are aware of further differences, please let me know.

The other thought is getting a 3.6 AT8 import, as these are same price but have bumpers and higher clearance fenders already.

If not it will receive the following:
2.5 JKS Lift
Rock crawler arms
17inch fuel wheels
US bumpers
37x12.5 tires
Potentially a winch and some smaller upgrades.
Further it shall be wrapped in tan matt....

If you have any suggestions let me know, I try to order all parts in US, but due to shipping cost want to get all into one place that can securely pack it on a pallet

Cheers guys!!
Simon
Sponsored

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Welcome aboard! You should get good feedback here. Cheers

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
There are many more differences...
US Rubicon has a Rocktrac transfer case which is chain driven and only part time 4wd in high and low mode which can only be used in gravel roads. It comes with a 4:1 gearing.

EU Rubicon has a rocktrac “package”. It is basically Sahara Selectrac transfer case with the auto 4wd option (useable always and great for slippery road conditions in general). It comes with the 4:01 gearing instead of the 2,72:1 normally found in the Selectrac.
The EU Rubicon transfer case is probably not as strong as the US one in very extreme rock crawling conditions. But it is a more daily use friendlier one.

And than there is a difference in flanges (U-joint style vs CV) on how it connects to the driveshafts.

A 2019 US Rubicon can be specked out with adaptive cruise control+emergency braking, as far I know still not available in EU.
AUX buttons still not available in EU I believe.
On LED lights, the halo ring does not work in EU.
EU mirrors do have side markers, US don’t.
EU has plastic front steering protection vs steel on US...
Probably more differences.

OP
OP

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
Hey Euro Jeep

wow, the transfer case seems to be able to create some hassle - but I am not really sure, the EU Rubicon has a real 4 low and locking diffs - I will dive into this.
Heavy rock crawling in EU may be a problem at all... there are far less trails as far as I know, and maybe none on US level like Rubicon or others....

In regards of spec of the car:
You can have the AUX buttons since MY19, and the adaptive cruise is available as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
You’re welcome “simrokkzz”
All Rubicons come with locking diffs and sway bar disconnects, US and Export. Just the transfer case is different.

Good to know options are finally available on MY19 as previously it was not. Is that selectable through the dealer or on the website?

OP
OP

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
Just call me Simon.

Yes it’s options through configuration (website and dealer).

There are some Canada Export cars at German dealers with the 3.6 V6 engine, these shall be with 4:1 as well and not 2.72:1
So CAN cars are different as well, however have high fenders and optional steel bumpers.

I will then source a EU 2.2 Diesel JLUR with AT and change bumpers and fenders.
It’s just different front fenders?

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Hi Simon, I am Stefan ;)
You are right, I did not specify enough: US Jeeps have the same configurations for USA + Canada. Like always, that is just the North American market.

I know of the Canadian imports in Germany. The price is better due to the currency with the Canadian Dollar over the US Dollar against the Euro.

You have to request all new fenders, as the rear ones are different too for US style Rubicon.

OP
OP

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
Well ok Stefan....
potentially it can be cheaper to buy a US/Canada market import, but then I would have to deal with the 3.6V6 fuel drinker instead of the Diesel - which I like a lot due to low down torque.

If I spec a JLUR on Jeep.com I am ending with 55.400 USD, which is 50.000€, but with import fees I am ending quite above 65.000€.

Well, now lets see that 911 and then I have plenty of space in the garage :)

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
One difference that wasn't mentioned here is about the axles themselves on the Rubicon models.

Yes they are the same US & EU spec, but the US gets the "Wide" version of them.

US Spec: Dana M210 Front Axle - Wide
Dana M220 Rear Axle - Wide

EU Spec: Dana M210 Front Axle
Dana M220 Rear Axle

This info was pulled from my build sheet (EU Spec / Middle East Spec ) and my friends US-Spec
both are JLUR.

Note: This does not Affect the type of lift kit you want to install. all lifts can fit on both versions, i asked multiple lift manufacturers "Teraflex & AEV"
Coilover kits that require custom brackets on the axle could not confirm if they fit on EU Spec Non-wide Axles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
ok, thanks for this info as well

I would like to go long arm and coilovers, but this would be absolutly overdone with what we can do here....

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Well ok Stefan....
potentially it can be cheaper to buy a US/Canada market import, but then I would have to deal with the 3.6V6 fuel drinker instead of the Diesel - which I like a lot due to low down torque.
Hi Simon,
I have the JLUR with the 2.2 diesel. I have been driving the Jeep for a little over 2 months and can attest to the fact, that combined with the 8 speed auto, it is a great package. I have done just over 5000km and achieved 8.9 l/100km on my last fill (mostly suburban driving). On a trip bush a few weeks back, the diesel returned 7.6 l/100km.
We have the option of the 3.6 petrol or 2.2 diesel on the Rubicon in Australia, and for my part I am sure I made the right choice.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Hi Simon,
welcome to the board.
What part of Germany are you from?
Are you sure you can get TÜV for the below?
2.5 JKS Lift
US bumpers
37x12.5 tires
Normally, in Germany you can only increase the tire size by 6% while being legal. Definitely you would need to replace the fenders as 12.5s would stick out past the EU ones, which are lower and more narrow than the US spec.
There is a one member who got a Chinese steal bumper knock-off which has the parking sensor cut outs, but it definitely is not legal in Germany. I think he lives in France.
Keep in mind that the US spec does not have front parking sensors. so the mopar bumper (you can order from Italy) would need to be modified should you wish to retain them.
You can order the Sicherheits-Paket (Adaptive Cruise Control und Forward Collision Warning Plus) now. This was not available when I got mine a few months back, unfortunately.

OP
OP

simrokkzz

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat + Focus ST
Well, talking about TÜV may be twisty - but if its not too wild (long arm and coilovers with frame welding) - a lot is still possible.
I know for sure that for the JKS 2.5 and 3.5 there is TÜV available.
Further for wheels I have to order 1 in addition and get a destructive load report, and then special TÜV shall be possible.
in regards of 37s: 1. yes 12.5 wide. There are quite some already having 315-70-17 TÜV approved, this is already more than 5% I guess, so why not? Sure I will do a Tazer fix for the wheels. and then see it.

steel bumper & parking sensors front: Its not possible to remount these to a steel bumper? Even if I add the holes for it?

I am not sure if I want to order a new one and wait for months.
currently I am checking 2019 JLUR's with tow package, leather, heated seats, tech package (LED, keyless) and a freedom hard top instead of soft top - this lists at 61.760€ (without the front collision and ACC)

I am living in 78606 Seitingen - in 80 km south of Stuttgart.
Sponsored