www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2018 JLU Premium soft top on CL for $550 for my 2019. It fit like a glove. the seller stated the "wife" didn't care for the wind noise.
Anyways. I've been trying to figure out where these two pieces go. They were in the bag with the various smaller parts. I didn't see it on the parts list and watched all the install videos. I'm thinking it didn't belong to the top or the seller had taking them off which didn't need to be taken off. There were four loose screws also. Thanks.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
On the topic of soft tops...and instead of starting a new thread...Anyone experiencing any rattles of the soft top bow right above your head? It's the second one back and it seems that the top material is attached to a dowel that sits in the cross bow is loose inside it and rattles. I can tap the underside of the roof near it and cause it to rattle. Make sense? Anyone experience that will on bumpy roads?
I have a rattle that sounds like a loose screw rattling around in the roll bar but I think it is actually coming from the front of the track that the top slides in. Been too lazy to take off the door surround to check it out further.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I bought a 2018 JLU Premium soft top on CL for $550 for my 2019. It fit like a glove. the seller stated the "wife" didn't care for the wind noise.
Anyways. I've been trying to figure out where these two pieces go. They were in the bag with the various smaller parts. I didn't see it on the parts list and watched all the install videos. I'm thinking it didn't belong to the top or the seller had taking them off which didn't need to be taken off. There were four loose screws also. Thanks.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg
They are trim pieces overhead at the top of the windshield. That are removed when you install the metal brackets for the hard top. If you have those brackets installed, you don't need them.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
They are trim pieces overhead at the top of the windshield. That are removed when you install the metal brackets for the hard top. If you have those brackets installed, you don't need them.
Thanks. I can't find the location you're referring to. My hardtop came off with just the bolts in the rear and sound bar. I don't see any metal brackets on top of the windshield. It does not leak or make funny noises, so I'll leave them off. Thanks again.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thanks. I can't find the location you're referring to. My hardtop came off with just the bolts in the rear and sound bar. I don't see any metal brackets on top of the windshield. It does not leak or make funny noises, so I'll leave them off. Thanks again.
They go here. They are only installed on Jeeps that did not come with the hard top.
20190906_193604.jpg

Sponsored

WilliamstownLakeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Porsche Macan & 2018 Punk'n JL Sahara
Mine was so difficult I had to stand on my hood hinges (to not dent the paper hood) and pull it towards me while someone else latched it.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
it really wasn’t that bad. warmer day is best but just plan to take some time. easier with two people but not necessary.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They go here. They are only installed on Jeeps that did not come with the hard top.
20190906_193604.jpg
Odd yes those are for the latches, but mine came as hard top only and had those installed.. just went and checked my window sticker and it was NOT dual top optioned from factory. Lol I was gonna pissed if dealer sold as an spare to someone.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Odd yes those are for the latches, but mine came as hard top only and had those installed.. just went and checked my window sticker and it was NOT dual top optioned from factory. Lol I was gonna pissed if dealer sold as an spare to someone.
@digitalbliss Sorry re read your comment you said came without a hardtop.:facepalm:

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
My wife's JL has the dual-top group, and my son and I installed the soft top the day after it picking up in May '18. We let it sit out in the sun for a few hours to soften up. Ours had no trouble with the front latches, but stretching the rear window enough to clip into the side channels was really tough the first time. Just keep pulling, and eventually it'll clip in :whew:. We put the hardtop back on last October, then installed the soft top again this spring. This time around, there was no issue with the window as it had been "pre-stretched" from last season.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As a current JK owner, and soon to be JL owner, I'm curious if I'm going to have the same struggles with the initial installation of the soft top on the JL.
With the JK, it was a real pain when I did the initial swap from hard top to soft top. Had to make sure it was a sunny day and the fabric was exposed to sunlight to allow some stretch. And even then, it was a struggle to get it latched in the front.
With the revised engineering on the JL soft tops, will I be experiencing the same struggles?
  • You may not experience this.
  • If you do experience this it will probably be only initially.
  • The latches, made of thick metal, have excellent abilities, given their leverage based design, to facilitate such fabric stretching initial closures.

A relevant quick anecdote: After I installed the soft top and it worked fine a tree branch fell on to the rear most cross member and cracked it. I bought a new cross member and installed it on the soft top in place of the cracked one and experienced for a while the stiffness in closure you describe even though the top wasn't new.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I’m considering buying a used hard top for the winter. For those who have both, is the noise in the cabin noticeably less with the hard top than with a closed soft top? Thanks!

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I’m considering buying a used hard top for the winter. For those who have both, is the noise in the cabin noticeably less with the hard top than with a closed soft top? Thanks!
Mine came with a hard top plus the factory headliners, and then I bought a soft top later on. Although the soft top is definitely louder than the hard top, I was surprised how minor the difference between the two was. I don't personally feel the difference in sound alone would justify buying the hard top. I do however appreciate having the rear wiper and easier access to the cargo area with the hardtop. To me those are more meaningful benefits than the noise reduction.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Mine came with a hard top plus the factory headliners, and then I bought a soft top later on. Although the soft top is definitely louder than the hard top, I was surprised how minor the difference between the two was. I don't personally feel the difference in sound alone would justify buying the hard top. I do however appreciate having the rear wiper and easier access to the cargo area with the hardtop. To me those are more meaningful benefits than the noise reduction.
Thank you. I’ve done some research and since mine was spec’d for only the soft top, and not hard top or dual top, I understand that there is some work involved if I want the wiper and sprayer to work. I believe that there’s a kit that one can get from Mopar that has the wiring and the new control stalk with the control for the rear wiper.
Sponsored