Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Sorry if this has been posted already- I checked in search and couldn't find anything. Has anyone had issues with the plastic OEM tailgate panel coming off? I noticed a rattling last week and the lower passenger side corner seemed to free itself. I was working on some stuff so I'm not sure if it just wasn't locked back in place, or if it worked itself free again.

Just asking to see if anyone has had these issues yet? I know it's held on by those little clips, and some screws. I removed it to put some Molle bags with lighter stuff (recovery gear, gloves, goggles, and headlamps, and my mechanics Gloves/ deflator/ tire gauge/ and Jeep tool kit. I made sure it's all locked back in and the Molle bags are woven as tight as they can go, but I just want to get in front of any issues. I planned on getting something a little more beefy (likely Springtail's tailgate table) When i upgrade the spare tire carrier, but just trying to see if i should get in front of it now. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The entire upper line of clips on mine has been popping out since the first day I brought it home from the dealer. I've pretty much ignored it but it's annoying

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Sorry if this has been posted already- I checked in search and couldn't find anything. Has anyone had issues with the plastic OEM tailgate panel coming off? I noticed a rattling last week and the lower passenger side corner seemed to free itself. I was working on some stuff so I'm not sure if it just wasn't locked back in place, or if it worked itself free again.

Just asking to see if anyone has had these issues yet? I know it's held on by those little clips, and some screws. I removed it to put some Molle bags with lighter stuff (recovery gear, gloves, goggles, and headlamps, and my mechanics Gloves/ deflator/ tire gauge/ and Jeep tool kit. I made sure it's all locked back in and the Molle bags are woven as tight as they can go, but I just want to get in front of any issues. I planned on getting something a little more beefy (likely Springtail's tailgate table) When i upgrade the spare tire carrier, but just trying to see if i should get in front of it now. Thanks in advance!
It's possible that when you took off the panel, you may have broken some of the clips (happens to the best of us).

The fix would be either....

1) To go to the dealer (or any auto supply store) and get new clips

OR

2) Install a table (Ours would be a great choice....but it can be any table) that applies pressure/stability to the panel or replaces the panel altogether.

I don't think that Jeep really thought the whole "MOLLE" system on the plastic panel through very well.

Doc

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I thought the Mopar table would cure it for me, too, but it doesn't. The plastic floats on the Al spacers enough that the entire line top line of clips still pops out.

As I type this I suppose I could put washers between the table framework and the plastic panel to force it back, but it's not really a big deal for me

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It's possible that when you took off the panel, you may have broken some of the clips (happens to the best of us).

The fix would be either....

1) To go to the dealer (or any auto supply store) and get new clips

OR

2) Install a table (Ours would be a great choice....but it can be any table) that applies pressure/stability to the panel or replaces the panel altogether.

I don't think that Jeep really thought the whole "MOLLE" system on the plastic panel through very well.

Doc
Hey Doc! I'm considering it- not just for this fix, but also because I saw someone in one of the posts about tables said you can store a few items in there when it's folded up and locked. Any idea how much space there is in that position? Would be a great alternative to secure my 4 way lug wrench.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I thought the Mopar table would cure it for me, too, but it doesn't. The plastic floats on the Al spacers enough that the entire line top line of clips still pops out.

As I type this I suppose I could put washers between the table framework and the plastic panel to force it back, but it's not really a big deal for me
When I drilled my holes for the spacers in the plastic, I used a 1/2 bit instead of the recommended 13 mm bit. The fit is pretty tight...tight enough that I used a small plastic mallet to knock them into the holes. This is probably why mine has not moved or rattled.

As I recall, the panel is actually kind of inexpensive....might be worth it just to buy a new one rather than look for clips.

You could also use a little silicone and temporarily bond the door to the spacers.

Hey Doc! I'm considering it- not just for this fix, but also because I saw someone in one of the posts about tables said you can store a few items in there when it's folded up and locked. Any idea how much space there is in that position? Would be a great alternative to secure my 4 way lug wrench.
There is a little over 1.5 inches to work with in there.

One caveat is that, if you drill and mount items to the back plate....you will have to shim the spacers a bit to make room for the nuts on the backside of the panel as we mounted it pretty close to the plastic panel.

Here is my personal set up.

Doc

JLRD-FT%20Loaded%20Up_zpsy5sztyzk.jpg

JLRD-FT%20Loaded%20Back%20Plate%202_zpsbx0jrewz.jpg
Sponsored