Verifying Part #

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I bought a 8.4 stereo to replace my 7 radio and the part # on the Radio is 68429173AB and I can’t find that listed anywhere. I’m trying to get a software update for it and I tried from a 2018 JL and it said it wasn’t compatible with this model and on the 2019 JL says there is no updates
Sponsored

djssonic01

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Part Number 68429173AB is out of a 2020 Wrangler with the 8.4. How much did you pay for the radio?

djssonic01

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I bought a 8.4 stereo to replace my 7 radio and the part # on the Radio is 68429173AB and I can’t find that listed anywhere. I’m trying to get a software update for it and I tried from a 2018 JL and it said it wasn’t compatible with this model and on the 2019 JL says there is no updates
Where did you purchase the radio from?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I've tried this and no local dealers will unlock it (buying used) because FCA won't let them for fear it might be stolen. I can upgrade only if I purchase from dealer (7" is $1000, 8.4" is $1499) or thru Infotainment for same price.

Sponsored

djssonic01

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I've tried this and no local dealers will unlock it (buying used) because FCA won't let them for fear it might be stolen. I can upgrade only if I purchase from dealer (7" is $1000, 8.4" is $1499) or thru Infotainment for same price.
That is not true. I have in the past swap radios in my 2013 and 2017 Ram 1500 with no issue at all for them. The radio will receive the data from the BCM and automatically activate the functions needed. The only downside is you will not be able to receive software updates unless you have the VIN from the donor vehicle.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
That is not true. I have in the past swap radios in my 2013 and 2017 Ram 1500 with no issue at all for them. The radio will receive the data from the BCM and automatically activate the functions needed. The only downside is you will not be able to receive software updates unless you have the VIN from the donor vehicle.
From what I've been told, once the used radio is removed it locks and you need a code to unlock it. I can only tell you what every dealer I called in a 100 mile radius said. I even had the donor VIN and no one would touch it.

djssonic01

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
From what I've been told, once the used radio is removed it locks and you need a code to unlock it. I can only tell you what every dealer I called in a 100 mile radius said. I even had the donor VIN and no one would touch it.
They are just being lazy. I was able to receive the unlock codes with no issue. Granted I work for an auto group that has Chrysler but it is possible to be done.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
They are just being lazy. I was able to receive the unlock codes with no issue. Granted I work for an auto group that has Chrysler but it is possible to be done.
Yeah I thought so. But, unfortunately, I'm at their mercy :crying: so I probably won't upgrade my 5" radio.

Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
When I owned my Cherokee Trailhawk....there was a company that you could get a code to activate the navigation ( if you had a 8.4 that was nav compatible)... There was a cost involved, but cheaper than the dealer by a couple hundred bucks...
Not sure if they could get you an activation code due to security issues ( theft etc.)

OP
OP
johnparjr

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe