Sponsored

Willys and Freedom Edition Return to Wrangler (JL) for 2020

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I thought I read the Willys had heavy duty brakes also? Does that mean the larger Rubicon and Sahara brakes?
I tried looking for you, but I dont think heavy duty brakes are included
Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I'm pretty sure calling it Freedom is somehow offending somebody. We're supposed to virtue signal by feigning guilt for the freedoms we have and only talk about those who are somehow oppressed.
Wow, seriously?!

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Every time we get a light dusting of snow on the roads, I see at least three 4x4s in the ditch, and usually when I drive past it looks like they had MT tires (you can tell by the absence of siping in the tread blocks). The only reason no one knows it's a big deal is that no one collects statistics about type of tire equipped in winter car accidents.

Summer tires and M/T tires are both terrifying in light snow. Which is why manufacturers of these types of tires explicitly warn you not to drive in light snow (or any snow, in the case of summer tires).
When I was a Trooper I used to pull up at wrecks in a RWD sedan with no chains to call a wrecker for a FWD in the ditch/median etc. it really didn’t matter what tires were on it, but rather the operator thought the FWD controls were an invincibility button that would allow them to drive the way they normally did (badly) regardless of the weather.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard β€œbut Trooper... I had it in FWD” I’d own my Rubi... the Willys... Black and Tan... MOAB... GC Trackhawk... etc...

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Well, no. You have to be proper British and say Jag-U-wah
It’s almost as bad as β€œal-you-min-e-um” for aluminum....

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I thought I read the Willys had heavy duty brakes also? Does that mean the larger Rubicon and Sahara brakes?
I am waiting for the order guide to come out to really evaluate this package. The description is a little ambiguous.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I am waiting for the order guide to come out to really evaluate this package. The description is a little ambiguous.
Same, I almost bought a Willy's in 2015 and 2017.

If it is just a sport S with 32s, a willy's sticker, LSD rear and black grill, I will just get a 2dr sport with LSD rear, put on my 33s, make the grill black, swap in a front 44 with selectable locker, lift it and put a WIlly Goat sticker on the Hood lol

I remember the JK willy came with 3:73 gears? or the option of.

We will have to dissect the JL willy package when more info becomes available.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Same, I almost bought a Willy's in 2015 and 2017.

If it is just a sport S with 32s, a willy's sticker, LSD rear and black grill, I will just get a 2dr sport with LSD rear, put on my 33s, make the grill black, swap in a front 44 with selectable locker, lift it and put a WIlly Goat sticker on the Hood lol

I remember the JK willy came with 3:73 gears? or the option of.

We will have to dissect the JL willy package when more info becomes available.
All JK with LSD had 3.73. Base was 3.21

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
the operator thought the FWD controls were an invincibility button that would allow them to drive the way they normally did (badly) regardless of the weather.
I'm not denying that poor driving skills are the #1 reason for winter accidents, but everyone would agree that the right tires make good drivers better drivers. Right in this thread, folks are complaining about the lack of bigger brakes on the Willys Edition, a feature that reduces stopping distance by at most 10%. M/T tires in light snow have like +50% stopping distance vs. proper A/T or A/S tires with siping; even the best drivers are more likely to get in an accident when they don't have grip.

Last year I watched a pickup in 4WD unable to ascend a mild grade with a light dusting of snow on the road. Sure enough, he had huge/wide mud terrain tires equipped. My little FWD hatchback with all-seasons went up without a hiccup.

M/T tires have terrible grip in light snow, period. That's why M/T tire manufacturers all have disclaimers like this:

While Off-Road Maximum Traction tires, which are often called mud tires, are branded with the M+S symbol and able to churn through deep snow, their typical oversize applications and the absence of snow-biting sipes in their large smooth lugs can challenge their on-road wintertime traction on packed snow and icy surfaces.
Link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain T/A KM2&partnum=06QR8KM2RWL

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Close enough

I'm American, not English, don't take a life, go to the lou and I don't call cigarettes fags now
It
It’s almost as bad as β€œal-you-min-e-um” for aluminum....
In fairness, the British actually spell it aluminium. That doesn't begin to explain how they pronounce so many words while pretending half of the letters don't even exist though :giggle:

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It

In fairness, the British actually spell it aluminium. That doesn't begin to explain how they pronounce so many words while pretending half of the letters don't even exist though :giggle:
Have you ever been to the NE? :giggle:

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Lol! Triggered!
Apparently! I’d like to know how a thread about special edition JLs turned into that mess he was spewing. He must have gotten his political forum mixed up with the JL forum.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I watched a video from Extreme Terrain yesterday and they indeed said the Willys will come with heavy duty brakes (not sure if rubicon, but better than sport), and ALSO Rubicon suspension.