Sponsored

Willys and Freedom Edition Return to Wrangler (JL) for 2020

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
In this day and age when you can get a custom burrito delivered to you by drone, it's crazy that we still mostly can't pick what tires we want to have a new vehicle delivered with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TXRubicon

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
The economies of scale for custom burritos and custom automobiles are slightly different.

In this day and age when you can get a custom burrito delivered to you by drone, it's crazy that we still mostly can't pick what tires we want to have a new vehicle delivered with.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The economies of scale for custom burritos and custom automobiles are slightly different.
No doubt, but shipping a volume model with only M/T tires is a potential liability nightmare for FCA. M/T tires are worthless in light snow/ice, and I would never equip them on any road-legal vehicle north of GA.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
On the Rubicon you can pick Brigestone AT or Falken MT tires. You can select bw or ww with the AT K02s also. You get a choice of AT tires with Sports if you select the anti-spin diff too. I do get what you are saying though. It would be great to select tires on every model but that would probably induce additional cost due to logistics and supplier commitments.

Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks. I was browsing it at a work meeting that I had nothing to do in except look interested in the presentation.
I am guilty of skimming when I am supposed to be doing something else pretty often. :angel:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No doubt, but shipping a volume model with only M/T tires is a potential liability nightmare for FCA. M/T tires are worthless in light snow/ice, and I would never equip them on any road-legal vehicle north of GA.
They’ve been doing it for 17 years now, so it must not be too big of an issue.

The BFG MT is better than the Rubicon’s original Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
They’ve been doing it for 17 years now, so it must not be too big of an issue.

The BFG MT is better than the Rubicon’s original Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires.
Every time we get a light dusting of snow on the roads, I see at least three 4x4s in the ditch, and usually when I drive past it looks like they had MT tires (you can tell by the absence of siping in the tread blocks). The only reason no one knows it's a big deal is that no one collects statistics about type of tire equipped in winter car accidents.

Summer tires and M/T tires are both terrifying in light snow. Which is why manufacturers of these types of tires explicitly warn you not to drive in light snow (or any snow, in the case of summer tires).

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yea yea, nobody collects the stats but your anecdotal evidence is god’s word. Couldn’t possibly be that 4WD vehicles are attractive to young dumb men who become cocky on snowy roads.

On topic, didn’t the freedom edition in the JK have a graphite or chrome grille?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yea yea, nobody collects the stats but your anecdotal evidence is god’s word. Couldn’t possibly be that 4WD vehicles are attractive to young dumb men who become cocky on snowy roads.

On topic, didn’t the freedom edition in the JK have a graphite or chrome grille?
Exactly:like: most people on the side of the road during snow are driving too fast and think that just because they have 4WD they can go the speed limit or faster:headbang:. Tires help tremendously, but knowing HOW to drive in ice and snow will win you the battle;)
Sponsored