OEM tow hooks vs. D Rings

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thank you. Found it. That's a pretty good chunk out of the bottom of the bumper. The instructions didn't mention the lower skid plate so I'll look at the Jeep and see. Thx!
I almost installed the Warn D Ring. I have the steel Mopar Rubicon bumper with the skid pan. I found that I'd need to cut out two places on the bottom of the bumper that also held two of the bolt points for the skid pan, and felt that it made re-installation of the skid pan problematical, but it compromised the structure of the bumper.

I'm looking now at the maxims 3. Did you, or anybody instal them? On a molar rubicon bumper?
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I almost installed the Warn D Ring. I have the steel Mopar Rubicon bumper with the skid pan. I found that I'd need to cut out two places on the bottom of the bumper that also held two of the bolt points for the skid pan, and felt that it made re-installation of the skid pan problematical, but it compromised the structure of the bumper.

I'm looking now at the maxims 3. Did you, or anybody instal them? On a molar rubicon bumper?
Which Maximus-3 D-rings are you referring to? They have two different styles. I have the Tow loops, but have not installed them yet.

Also, you might have luck asking your question here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/maximus-3-jl-winch-plate-accessories.17149/

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I hadn't realised that there were two kinds, but JL1025TL TOW LLOS as they don't need the winch mount. I'm worried about cutting the bumper.

Which Maximus-3 D-rings are you referring to? They have two different styles. I have the Tow loops, but have not installed them yet.

Also, you might have luck asking your question here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/maximus-3-jl-winch-plate-accessories.17149/

Dr. O)lllll(O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Yo Jeepixel, the stock front JL bumper tow hooks have SHARP EDGES and any tow ropes/nylon/poly, will FRAY/TEAR when Loaded/using just the hooks-

If a "D" ring is used with the hooks, the tow/recovery rope will only load against the 'ROUND" "D" ring-

JIMBO
And if the d ring disengages from the open hook (not out of the realm of possibility), it becomes a potentially deadly projectile. Very unsafe and unsound advice. I’d rather have a bit more wear on my strap than a dangerous situation.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just decided to change bumpers because I do not trust two hooks

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@Maximus-3 now has these for the rear. Might be a nice addition also.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
And if the d ring disengages from the open hook (not out of the realm of possibility), it becomes a potentially deadly projectile. Very unsafe and unsound advice. I’d rather have a bit more wear on my strap than a dangerous situation.
Couldn’t you just use 1/2” Soft Shackles?

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
couple thoughts here.....

if you have a winch on the front of the jeep, you have a pretty good attachment point on
the end of the winch line, assuming you use something like a factor 55 rope end.

it also has the advantage of not needing the tow vehicle to actually do anything. as the
100' of rope on the spool helps things out a bit.