Sponsored

JL for a roadtrip??

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Must have made a wrong turn or something. Next thing I know I’m on Fins and Things.

C8CC9277-3315-4B0F-87E4-C4DE17F249C0.jpeg
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Very comfortable and fun to drive in every way...except the steering is horrible on the expressway. Downright dangerous in heavy traffic.

The faster I go...the harder it is to stay in my lane. 70+ MPH could get down right scary...especially in windy conditions, heavy traffic, rough roads, etc.
Have you read about the steering issues? There are some recalls and new parts available.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've done a few ~350 mile (each way) trips in my JK and enjoyed it every time. I imagine the JL is even better! I have a feeling that messing with the suspension or tires too much will deteriorate things though.

One thing that gives me pause is the steering issue in the JL lol. You can easily do 85 in the JK without realizing it (going with the flow of traffic on a really fast road?) That's how good the steering is by comparison.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I've done several 8 hour trips in the jeep. Very surprised how comfortable the ride was with these firm seats. Never uncomfortable, or restless. It's not as comfortable as my f150 but still pretty darn good. I got around 20mpg with a little off roading mixed in. 4 inch lift, and 35s.

I retire next year and plan to do either a trip to alaska or just from MX to Canadian border towing a small off road trailer. If that goes well I am considering a journey to Chile and back. Then who knows, this thing makes a half decent overlander, might even ship it over seas for a jaunt here and there.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
So....bad parts. Joined cracked windshield club. Also, had a fog light go out (warranty fixing that). Sleeping in back seat of soft top sucks bad.

Good, was pretty comfortable! Was as good as any car really. For the first time, I am glad I have a sport not a Rubicon (but will likely change that thought in a few weeks) as the suspension was comfortable, fairly quiet (except when by a semi or heavy rain). At one point was at 25 mpg plus. Went back down with wind and ethanol blend, but finished around 22. Didn't speed excessively but did keep it at about 78.

Truth be told, can't complain at all, except with the damn windshield (likely a $500 bill so living with it for now). Total trip was about 2800 miles

Sponsored

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Glad to see some longer mileage trips here. Took my 2018 JL Sport S to Florida from NY in July only 2800 miles round trip but in Sept the wife and I are driving from NY to Denver to Yosemite to Reno and back. Looking at about 6000 miles. Very happy with handling, ride and gas mileage but the noise level could be improved especially at higher speeds or windy conditions. No problem with steering but I do have it scheduled for the steering damper fix before I leave....First jeep and I am loving it...

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
My wife and I recently did a swing through the western Berkshires, and crossed the summit on the Mohawk Trail going from Deerfield to Williamstown. The Sahara was quite comfortable, handled the roads very well, and I can report that the Jeep Wave is alive and well in Western Massachusetts.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So....bad parts. Joined cracked windshield club. Also, had a fog light go out (warranty fixing that). Sleeping in back seat of soft top sucks bad.

Good, was pretty comfortable! Was as good as any car really. For the first time, I am glad I have a sport not a Rubicon (but will likely change that thought in a few weeks) as the suspension was comfortable, fairly quiet (except when by a semi or heavy rain). At one point was at 25 mpg plus. Went back down with wind and ethanol blend, but finished around 22. Didn't speed excessively but did keep it at about 78.

Truth be told, can't complain at all, except with the damn windshield (likely a $500 bill so living with it for now). Total trip was about 2800 miles

Matt, call your insurance company. The windshield may just be covered by your policy.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just did a 1800 mile round trip to louisville ky in a 2 door hardtop. mpg ranged from 25.6 to 29.6 with air full blast and doing 70-75 mph. smooth and comfortable ride.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Matt, call your insurance company. The windshield may just be covered by your policy.
I did. They offer free repair, replacement only if more than deductible. The glass company couldn't repair as the chip before the crack was to low to allow the machine to get suction on it to inject the resin. Might try an at home one just to see, likely will just live with it for now.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I did. They offer free repair, replacement only if more than deductible. The glass company couldn't repair as the chip before the crack was to low to allow the machine to get suction on it to inject the resin. Might try an at home one just to see, likely will just live with it for now.
Well crap, Insurance Companies have all the angle's. Hopefully it will be OK for awhile.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
get the glass coverage. its like $3.00 and it doesnt matter how many time it get replaced. well worth it.

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
We did a 600 mile round trip to Western NY over the weekend. The drive was quite comfortable; Jeep handled well on the rain with wet pavement; no steering issues.

However, with lots of hill climbs and mountain passes on I-81 and I-84, and 315 tires on stock gear, the lagging was quite a struggle! had to do a lot of downshifting!

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 DOOR Rubi
Occupation
CSM, (Chief Sawdust Maker)
So... Everyone post off-road road trips, but what about just a good ol cross country jaunt? Tomorrow I head out on a 20 hour drive in a soft top sport S.

Curious for those of us that use this as our daily vehicle, longest roadtrip? How did it go? Long-term comfort?

Either way, Florida here I come!
Just completed 3.5k road trip plus x2 jeep jamborre and Moab over the last few weeks Gas Miles suck, but everthing else great, no issues, In fact the trip before last was 2k road trip, all just great no issues whatever,

Gordon
Sponsored