RC 2.5" Budget Boost Install Question

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
I'm going to be installing this lift on my own, which will be my first venture into anything remotely suspension related. I'm watching a lot of videos to get more familiar with the parts, which I feel ok with, but one thing I don't really see addressed is just the overall set up. I'm going to be installing on the ground since I don't have access to a lift. I get that I'm going to chock the wheels on the axle not in play, and I'm going to use a floor jack to raise the jeep and set it on jack stands, but my question is more tied to the axle specifically.

Once I disconnect the parts, and I have to lower the axle to get the springs out, am I just best to use just the floor jack to hold it and lower it? That doesn't feel like a lot of support for it. Am I better off getting a second set of jack stands? The raising and lowering of the axle is the one area I'm not sure on, so if there is guidance, pictures, or videos, please share!
Thanks!
Sponsored

Nbshelton729

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
I just installed this lift kit a few days ago, so it's fresh in my mind.

First, I'd make sure your jack stands for the frame are tall enough to let you lower the axle enough to get the springs out. Using the jack stand to support the axle should be sufficient, I've seen that done before in some videos. I was lucky enough to borrow a friends garage with a lift, then put the axle on jack stands, then raised and lowered the jeep as needed. With all the right tools, it took about 3 hours to complete. RC did send me 2 nuts that were the wrong thread which added 30 minutes for a hardware store run. If you use the Extreme Terrain step by step video, it's pretty straight forward.

Jeep Wrangler JL RC 2.5" Budget Boost Install Question {filename}

OP
OP
STLYoungblood

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed this lift kit a few days ago, so it's fresh in my mind.

First, I'd make sure your jack stands for the frame are tall enough to let you lower the axle enough to get the springs out. Using the jack stand to support the axle should be sufficient, I've seen that done before in some videos. I was lucky enough to borrow a friends garage with a lift, then put the axle on jack stands, then raised and lowered the jeep as needed. With all the right tools, it took about 3 hours to complete. RC did send me 2 nuts that were the wrong thread which added 30 minutes for a hardware store run. If you use the Extreme Terrain step by step video, it's pretty straight forward.

Jeep Wrangler JL RC 2.5" Budget Boost Install Question {filename}
Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have a ballpark for how much the axle needs to drop to make that happen? I have 4 jackstands but I need to test their max extension height.

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed my Dynatrac lift a couple weeks ago, I used jack stands for the frame and the floor jack for the axle. I placed a 2"x4" block between the jack and the diff and realized that I needed more sag to remove the springs. I had to jack back up, crib up to the axle, lower the jack and remove the block of wood, jack back up and remove the cribbing. Basically what I am saying is to anticipate a lot more sag than what you initially think you'll need. I used a couple 6 ton stands from Tractor Supply and I think I had 2-3 teeth showing on them with the tires being a good 4" off the ground before removing them. Not to mention I was slightly downhill due to my driveway being slanted down (had 3/4 of the jeep in the flat garage and was working outside on the driveway). I still had to push down on the rotors to get the springs in/out. Other than that, it was a pretty straightforward install. I am assuming you're going to use your rear swaybar end links on your front, I removed mine from the rear first when the Jeep was on the ground that way I wouldn't need to mess with the front twice. Good luck. You will be fine.

PS. Just looked, the jack stands I used start out at 15-9/16" high and like I said I had them a good 2 or 3 teeth up, so probably 18-20" maybe? I'd go higher if I were you.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You’re going to need 6 ton Jack stands to get enough droop for the axles. You can use the floor jack to lower and raise the axle after supporting the frame with the stands. Two stands are enough. It is really simple. Take your time and enjoy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
STLYoungblood

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am assuming you're going to use your rear swaybar end links on your front, I removed mine from the rear first when the Jeep was on the ground that way I wouldn't need to mess with the front twice. Good luck. You will be fine.

PS. Just looked, the jack stands I used start out at 15-9/16" high and like I said I had them a good 2 or 3 teeth up, so probably 18-20" maybe? I'd go higher if I were you.
Can you clarify what you mean by using the rear swaybar end links on the front? I don't see that mentioned in the install instructions. I'm not quite following. Either way, thanks for measuring for me, that's a big help!

OP
OP
STLYoungblood

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You’re going to need 6 ton Jack stands to get enough droop for the axles. You can use the floor jack to lower and raise the axle after supporting the frame with the stands. Two stands are enough. It is really simple. Take your time and enjoy.
Thanks man, I know I have 2 3 ton stands, need to check on the others that I'm borrowing.

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Can you clarify what you mean by using the rear swaybar end links on the front? I don't see that mentioned in the install instructions. I'm not quite following. Either way, thanks for measuring for me, that's a big help!
Ah, your’s may not use the rear end links for the front since they’re longer. Mine did. Disregard that then. Definitely follow your directions. Post up in here with your install!
Sponsored