Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Brant, yes they are very similar to the Sport/Sport S. Realistically they, and the Sport(S), are similar to the Rubicon. That's kinda the joke behind this thread. I honestly wanted to see people taking the "fancy" JL off the beaten path but it's also funny. Obviously all stock Wranglers are capable off road but the joke is that the Sahara is a mall crawler. Most people who opt for the Sahara are more interested in the light off-roading, creature comforts and appearance than extreme off-roading. Don't get me wrong there are some people who get pretty extreme with a Sahara too, but generally Sahara owners don't replace everything like a Sport or Rubicon owner will, and a mild trail makes us happy. Honestly I think if you're going to get really heavy into replacing stuff you should buy the Sport instead of the Rubicon anyway, but that's a matter of opinion. Anyway, I digress. The idea is that the Sahara is generally stock or only lightly modded, and I like to see them off road proving that we go somewhere other than the mall with them.

Kinda new here, please help me learn about the Badge of Honor Program. Tried to search, with no success.

Thanks,

Don

edit: Think I found the Badge of Honor section in the forums section. D
On Jeep's main page there is a tab "Jeep life". Click it, and from there go to the Badge of Honor page. Here's a link directly to it → https://www.jeep.com/badge-of-honor.html

Basically the program is: You take you Jeep to designated locations, and check in with your phone (they have a Android and Apple version of the app). Once you've logged in on the trail you can request a free badge to put on your Jeep. Pretty fun program.

All these are photoshopped. Everyone knows that only Rubicons can go offroad.
:LOL: That was great. I seriously laughed out loud at that. :clap:
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
This discussion kind of reminds me of a disagreement years ago when I owned an Avalanche and belonged to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Forum. The big thing there was "Is a non-cladded Avy a REAL Avy?"

Disclosure: I bought a Sahara: To me, a Wrangler is a Wrangler is a Wrangler (well, there are HEEPS) and whatever "base" you start out with you will make it your own. I just answered another thread and said the same thing.

I really don't get the "discrimination" of the different Wrangler models. Rubi is the best? What about Altitude? Or how about MOAB? Or Sport? Sport -S? What about Gladiator? Oh, wait, not a true Wrangler. lol. And if you don't have size x tires you are a mall crawler. And if you don't have x axles you are a strip-mall crawler. Lift kit? OMG don't go with Mopar, or Synergy, only go with XXX.

I just don't get it..

beammmer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL two-door, 2017 X5, 1973 2002
On Jeep's main page there is a tab "Jeep life". Click it, and from there go to the Badge of Honor page. Here's a link directly to it → https://www.jeep.com/badge-of-honor.html

Basically the program is: You take you Jeep to designated locations, and check in with your phone (they have a Android and Apple version of the app). Once you've logged in on the trail you can request a free badge to put on your Jeep. Pretty fun program.

Thank you!!

Don

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
A bit late to this post but I've taken the Sahara to soo many places. At first, I felt like I wasn't going to offroad at all, just a nice car to take the family to the beach and camp. Was I wrong I've taken this car to hell and back and it still looks like new. I am heading up to Coyote Flats this weekend with the wife and kids. Going to see if I can tackle some obstacles and from there maybe mod it. So far, my stock Sahara has been excellent.

When we did some Joshua Tree exploring Berdoo Canyon didn't stand a chance... just had to be a bit careful with placement and of course, airing down. After getting into the park, we enjoyed this beautiful view and then just went to the normal tourist locations.
Untitled design (1).png

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Sahara owners have to be realistic that lockers, gears, axles, extra clearance, and swaybar disco will do things in the Rubicon that cannot be done with the Sahara LSD and Selec-trac.

Rubicon owners need to understand that Sahara owners generally do not care about the above because they are fine not pushing it to those limits.

Just changing wheels and tires on a Sahara to a better 17" A/T or M/T set-up will open up so many more avenues of offroading.

I have both. They are both beasts but there are things I would do in the Rubicon that I would not do in the Sahara but that does not mean that the Sahara, if equipped well, cannot be a beast off on trails.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Sahara owners have to be realistic that lockers, gears, axles, extra clearance, and swaybar disco will do things in the Rubicon that cannot be done with the Sahara LSD and Selec-trac.

Rubicon owners need to understand that Sahara owners generally do not care about the above because they are fine not pushing it to those limits.

Just changing wheels and tires on a Sahara to a better 17" A/T or M/T set-up will open up so many more avenues of offroading.

I have both. They are both beasts but there are things I would do in the Rubicon that I would not do in the Sahara but that does not mean that the Sahara, if equipped well, cannot be a beast off on trails.
Completely agree with all of it. I think most people here get that too. The Rubicon is purpose built and that is great for some people. The Sahara has another purpose and for those people it's great.

.....I really don't get the "discrimination" of the different Wrangler models. Rubi is the best? What about Altitude? Or how about MOAB? Or Sport? Sport -S? What about Gladiator? Oh, wait, not a true Wrangler. lol. And if you don't have size x tires you are a mall crawler. And if you don't have x axles you are a strip-mall crawler. Lift kit? OMG don't go with Mopar, or Synergy, only go with XXX.

I just don't get it..
Yeah me either. I completely agree that a Wrangler is a Wrangler. Fortunately, around here it seems that most people agree There's some good natured ribbing, but at the end of the day it seems that most members feel the same way. I was briefly on another forum that was very partisan and hostile. If you didn't have a Rubicon with very specific mods (such as brand "A" lift, or brand "B" tires) they were quick to be dismissive of any of your posts, and often times ganging up on anyone with a different opinion.
This forum is very refreshing. We don't have that garbage here.

So now that the conversation has bumped the thread to the top, lets see some more Saharas off road. And keep chatting so it says up top for more photos.

Last edited:

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Mechanically a Sahara is equivalent to a sport? Right?

I
Unless the buyer chose the full time all wheel drive option. So I expected much more built, (lifted/big tire etc), Jeeps I’m here...
Suspension is different.

JL Sport: Gas charged twin tube shock absorbers with full displacement Multi-Tuned Valve (MTV) technology
JL Sahara: High pressure gas charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology
JL Rubicon: High pressure gas charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology and hydraulic rebound stop

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I guess if we're being specific, I think the springs are a little different between trims too. Neither stock springs or shocks matter if you're replacing them with a lift though. ;)

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoying where a Jeep can take us...

wonderful trip to berdoo in Joshua tree and the red canyon Jeep trail near the salton sea.

C65AC4F6-DC0F-4E00-AB5C-77E709103081.jpeg

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Enjoying where a Jeep can take us...

wonderful trip to berdoo in Joshua tree and the red canyon Jeep trail near the salton sea.

C65AC4F6-DC0F-4E00-AB5C-77E709103081.jpeg
Cool! Thanks for the tips on the trails. I'm making a list.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep currently in the shop getting lift and shoes installed. Can’t wait to take it off-roading once it’s done. :rock:

26F4E0C5-CEC2-4E26-ACBB-BF5D9986A0FE.jpeg

8609C8D5-610A-4599-B4C3-5C140A6C933F.jpeg

5E41A842-BEFE-4E22-856A-E369D5BA6490.jpeg

5C1672D7-5FDB-415B-91A6-D88F981AA3A8.jpeg

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
The Bighorn mountains in Wyoming.
612B9255-C116-42DE-BF46-D653061AABC9.jpeg
1D868AC4-AB4D-41C1-9AAE-32D49F51687D.jpeg
261562D5-27FA-4780-8EB5-38BE1D29D4A4.jpeg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, yeah- the SAHARA is just a RUBICON CADILLAC--

Well at least they get the same shocks--they just ain't RED !

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Mick, Jorge, it looks like you guys have been having some fun. It's about time I head back into the woods.
Sponsored