Sponsored

How to keep mice out of my stored jeep...

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Have used dryer sheets in my pop up and other vehicles with great success. I put them everywhere, in the engine bay too. Parked my truck with out intending to have it sit for a long time so never put sheets in it. 6 months later the mice destroyed the wiring. So the sheets work.
Sponsored

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I’ve heard that steel wool and moth balls are very effective. Moth balls stink like shit so I would place them around the perimeter outside of your JEEP. Steel wool tucked underneath the frame especially around the engine should keep them out. Jacking up your rig would be good to avoid flat spots on the tires. This is all info obtained from my father in law with a 5th wheel camper.
Wow. So much wrong here. You father in law didnt have steelbelted tires. Old tires would get flat spots. New ones, not so much so. Dont bother jacking. Dont take tires off. They can run up jack stands too. Steel wool in tail pipe. Prevents them from nesting in exhaust. I've had luck with dryer sheets and this potpourri the camping store sells

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Victor+Scent+Away+bags&ref=nb_sb_noss use these. they work

Altitude

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Ul
I know that some of you probably store your jeeps for extended time. How do you keep mice from getting in? I heard about drier sheets, moth balls etc. Also heard that if I put the jeep up on jack stands with the wheels off that will work. True?.. And does it hurt at all to have the jeep sitting up on jack stands for 4 months? Thanks for any help.
They sell electronic, battery powered rodent repellants. I have been using them in my boat and shop for two years now and they work really well.Batterys last 6-8 months and it makes a noise only rodents can hear and they don't like it. Ace hardware and Home hardware sell them. Well worth the investment.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
“Fresh Cab” is a product sold to repel rodents. It’s a mixture of natural ingredients housed in small bags you place in the area you want to protect from mice. Farmers use it to keep mice out of their farm equipment in the fields. Look for it at Tractor Supply stores or on Amazon. I always hang a couple bags in the engine compartment of my vehicles.

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Dryer sheets and mothballs kept them out of my Capri for 30+ years of winter storage.

Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I use ammonia soaked rages to keep rodents out of my garage. Put one in each corner. Works pretty good.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
One fall i had drained some antifreeze into a 2 gallon bucket and forgotten about it until Spring. When I found it, it was filled up to the fluid line with about 20 dead mice in it. So one of those placed near the Jeep would work if you don't have any pets around.

Usually I just do dryer sheets. Those are cheap and work pretty well.

metallicpea

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I've had good luck with mousetraps at each inner corner where the tire meats the ground. 8 in total. I have also used crushed peppermint. Stored a few years in barn/shed with many, many mice and no problem yet. Lots of dead mice though. I try to check the traps once a month or more often if I can.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Mothballs, you will be good with those. I used them for years with no issues. Be careful though as they will stain anything they touch. I would wrap them up in aluminum foil and place them around the exterior of the Jeep, in the engine bay, etc

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Get the first American Dog Breed - A Rat Terrier! These dogs can be a real terror. Mine was so good it kept my wife away from me!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Get the first American Dog Breed - A Rat Terrier! These dogs can be a real terror. Mine was so good it kept my wife away from me!
Dan Jenkins..."Next time, instead of getting married, I'll just find a woman I hate and buy her a house."

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I could use one of those dogs to keep critters away. While out of town, my kids let raccoons into the garage. The raccoons tried to chew their way out through the door. We found one dead on the garage floor - but I think another one died somewhere in there - because now the garage stinks to high heaven!

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Or a hungry cat. This might not be an all encompassing solution...
Just rubbing a cat all over the Jeep and on the interior would be effective. The smell of cats is actually enough to keep mice at bay. Cat piss would be even more effective but not a solution.
Sponsored