Sport S vs Rubi - with a lease twist

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
You're right on about the lease residual values vs trim levels. Opposite of what you would think, the RV drops as you go up in trim level from Sport to Rubi. That said however, it not a really big spread in RV, but since the MSRP drops quite a bit, yes the payment lowers a lot if you pick the lower trim level (since the RV is highest there). For my Rubi, the RV is 32K in 3 yrs, but here in AZ, Jeeps really hold their value and 3 year old JK Rubis are hight than 32K. I really like my Rubi, so I'm leaning toward purchasing it at the end, so if the market for a 3 year old Rubi is higher than 32K, I could conceivably make money if I buy it, then sell it privately for more.
Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Good point. My understanding was that US Bank has an MRM, but FCA doesn't - but could be wrong.
When I looked at lease vs buy for my 19 sport s the MRM drove up the payment quite a bit with FCA. So, I ended up buying.

What does mrm stand for?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Super - thanks! Yep that was my logic.
No prob. Yea, I mean, you just gotta be honest with yourself. Yea, it's arguably "cooler" to have the rubi, but if you're not gonna be rock crawling, you're wasting a lot of money on functionality you'll never use. Personally, I'm not a fan of the look of the rubi, either - I don't like those hood vents and logos, I prefer just the classic hood with nothing on it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Serious question.... Why would you lease a vehicle, then do all this to it and take it wheeling? Why would you risk damaging a vehicle that isn't yours? I never leased so just asking.

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
When I looked at lease vs buy for my 19 sport s the MRM drove up the payment quite a bit with FCA. So, I ended up buying.

What does mrm stand for?
I think is Maximum Residualizable MSRP.

Basically, they cap how much of the MSRP that the residual can be applied to. If you go over that amount, it gets expensive quick (you don’t want to do it). For that part above the MRM you are financing the full amount, without the benefit of just financing the residualized (smaller) amount. Does that make sense?

Sponsored

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Serious question.... Why would you lease a vehicle, then do all this to it and take it wheeling? Why would you risk damaging a vehicle that isn't yours? I never leased so just asking.
I’d probably agree if you were going to use it hard core off-road. Being realistic with myself I don’t think I’d be at that level.

It’s also my entry into this fine brotherhood, so I expect I’ll learn what I really want to do from this one, then buy one next time. Did that over the last 10 years with some high performance cars. Leased one first, figured I got it all wrong - bought one next and then really caught the speed bug and tracked the crap out of a few cars. Damn expensive hobby though - time for a new and comparatively safer one.

I could probably turn the question around and say, why would you buy any new truck at all and take it wheeling? Buy used and really beat the thing up - save on the depreciation hit and basically get any mods the former owner did for free!

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
You're right on about the lease residual values vs trim levels. Opposite of what you would think, the RV drops as you go up in trim level from Sport to Rubi. That said however, it not a really big spread in RV, but since the MSRP drops quite a bit, yes the payment lowers a lot if you pick the lower trim level (since the RV is highest there). For my Rubi, the RV is 32K in 3 yrs, but here in AZ, Jeeps really hold their value and 3 year old JK Rubis are hight than 32K. I really like my Rubi, so I'm leaning toward purchasing it at the end, so if the market for a 3 year old Rubi is higher than 32K, I could conceivably make money if I buy it, then sell it privately for more.
Yep - that’s why I view the higher interest rate as buying an option - the option to walk away at the end or buy it.

Not sure of the sales tax implications as it varies state by state. Not getting a trade in allowance on sales tax makes it tough here in CA. As well as swallowing an almost 9% sales tax on purchase if you buy, versus paying only the tax on the residual over time when you lease.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Sport S makes the most sense in your situation.

Research the anti-spin diff there are major failures happening with them. I was deadset on getting one until I read some of the failure threads. For light to moderate off-roading, if you have 33’s and a minor lift you should be more than fine with open diffs.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Sport S makes the most sense in your situation.

Research the anti-spin diff there are major failures happening with them. I was deadset on getting one until I read some of the failure threads. For light to moderate off-roading, if you have 33’s and a minor lift you should be more than fine with open diffs.
That’s what warranties are for. Like most things the forums amplify whatever issues there are.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
That’s what warranties are for. Like most things the forums amplify whatever issues there are.
Agreed on forums and Facebook groups amplifying issues.

In my case I had two concerns.

Jeep doesn’t have a fix. The fix is to install a rear diff with the same unrevised part number as the old one. Some people are resorting to just making it an open diff to fix the issue. Perhaps this is addressed in the 2020’s.

The second concern I had is that I will be adding aftermarket wheels and tires (larger/heavier) along with takeoff Rubicon suspension. If the rear diff fails Jeep could deny my warranty claim due to aftermarket parts that put stress on the rear diff. Not saying they will but it’s s concern.

To clarify, I would just say respect the rear slip before you buy and weigh the pros vs cons.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I looked at leases with Jeep two months ago. The only way they make financial sense is if you can get the business write off. Otherwise, you are better off buying. Leases are a nice money maker for FCA. Run the numbers against buying and selling, and see where you end up.

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I looked at leases with Jeep two months ago. The only way they make financial sense is if you can get the business write off. Otherwise, you are better off buying. Leases are a nice money maker for FCA. Run the numbers against buying and selling, and see where you end up.
Yes - you pay a lot more in interest on a lease, but there are other considerations. You mentioned one of them, not paying all the sales tax up front is another, an inflated residual etc.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Yes - you pay a lot more in interest on a lease, but there are other considerations. You mentioned one of them, not paying all the sales tax up front is another, an inflated residual etc.
I look at the numbers strictly from a dollars in vs dollars out perspective. The lease is more expensive. If you can right it off on your business, that may make sense for you. If you find the lease cheaper, I would argue you are missing some numbers.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding rock crawling in a stock Sport. There is a video online, in Australia, of someone doing some light to moderate rock crawling - even with the stock A/Ts, and it looks like he didn’t even do the disconnect. It does just fine; you can see the BLD at work. One thing I noted though. The driver seems exceptionally skilled at picking and driving his lines, without a spotter. FWIW.
Sponsored