Adding proximity locks retroactively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I would be curious if somehow the Tazer JL can eventually enable this with perhaps an update from ZAutomotive considering it has the ability to activate, blind spot monitoring, Aux switches. I am going to reach out to them to see.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A thought. I 100% respect anyone to add to this thread. Who am I to say!

(Humor)

And yet, when I see someone doing so, and the thread rising to the top of posts cue I tend to say to myself, "Yes!!!! Someone has figured out a way to add this feature post purchase," only to be let down when I click on it.

I think I have to lower my expectations!;)

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I would be curious if somehow the Tazer JL can eventually enable this with perhaps an update from ZAutomotive considering it has the ability to activate, blind spot monitoring, Aux switches. I am going to reach out to them to see.
Already been done. They cannot do it. Also, they do NOT have the ability to activate blind spot monitoring. They sent me a beta firmware version to test blind spot. No go. Blind spot is not plug and play. In addition to the radar modules. mirrors, taillight harnesses, one would need wires (with appropriate connectors) need to be run to the star hub AND to the doors, as these are not present on the main body harness. Sure Tazer JL can turn off/turn on Blind spot - IF you already have the feature installed.

there is another person on this thread who was able to add proximity post-sale, but he works at an FCA dealer. It's more than just enabling the feature. It is a flash of the BCM and the RF hub. The RF hub was the piece Tazer JL could not update.

lotaguts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Already been done. They cannot do it. Also, they do NOT have the ability to activate blind spot monitoring. They sent me a beta firmware version to test blind spot. No go. Blind spot is not plug and play. In addition to the radar modules. mirrors, taillight harnesses, one would need wires (with appropriate connectors) need to be run to the star hub AND to the doors, as these are not present on the main body harness. Sure Tazer JL can turn off/turn on Blind spot - IF you already have the feature installed.

there is another person on this thread who was able to add proximity post-sale, but he works at an FCA dealer. It's more than just enabling the feature. It is a flash of the BCM and the RF hub. The RF hub was the piece Tazer JL could not update.
So sorry for my ignorance on all of this I guess I want it so bad like the rest of you.

dmarsh

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Electric Roof
Do you have the part number for the new harness?

Ok, I strongly suggest anyone interested in performing an upgrade like this (or similar technically involved changes) spend the $30 and get a 3 day FCA Tech Authority subscription. Everything you need is there - removal/installation processes for everything. Diagrams. Operational descriptions. Locations of systems. Includes PDFs, SVG diagrarms. Can be filtered by VIN. Has more comprehensive list of parts numbers than can be found on any dealer parts web site.

If you are going to spend hundred of dollars on parts, what is $30 more? There is just so much information there. If you are going to be doing a lot, or think you may go back more than the 3 days, buy the DVD. I think it is $120. Armed with the information at this site you will be on par with most dealer techs.

site: TechAuthority.com

That being said:

Handles:

Rear and tail gate door handles are similar. The rear has a grommet covering an access hole. The fronts have a round black sticker. Remove the grommet or sticker. Inside that hole is a torx screw/bolt. T20 I think. You need a thin screwdriver with a torx driver head to insert in that hole. You gradually loosen while at the SAME TIME gently pulling on the end cap of handle (separate piece). DO NOT remove the screw entirely, or you are, well, screwed. I suggest turning just a very small amount then pulling on the cap. Until it comes out. It will easily come out once the screw is backed out enough. Once the cap is out you can remove the handle.

Front door harnesses:

You will need to remove the door card to install new harnesses. There are screws behind the handle (need to pry open a small access panel), under the armrest and at bottom of door. All torx. Then there are a bunch of clips around perimeter. Gently pry these out with a nylon panel removal tool. Be gentle but firm, you don't want to break any. Unplug harness for power door locks/mirror. Remove cables for door handle pull. Set card aside where it won't get damaged. Inner "insulation panel" is where door harness is mounted and door window regulator mounts to. This is glued to door, and held in place with hex-head bolts. In my experience removing this entirely is a bad idea. Best to loosen as many hex head bolts that will allow you to contort your hand behind it. The window regulator is mounted to this panel. You don't want to deal with that. Look at how the cable is mounted, and where the clips are. Look at your new harness, hold it up to the old one. The new harness will have all needed clips. The only difference will be the pigtail connection for the proximity handle. You will need to snake your hand behind panel and unplug the power lock connector. You need to unplug the mirror jumper and the power window connection. And, of course, the main door harness needs to be unplugged at the body. Carefully remove the harness by prying clips loose. Do the opposite to install the new harness. To connect the proximity connector you may be able to fish the connector through the handle opening (after removing the handle), else you will need to contort your hand behind the panel to reconnect the power lock and proximity connector. It won't be easy, but it can be done.

Tail gate jumper:

Remove rear trim panel on tail gate - the whole panel. Use nylon panel remover. You will now be able to contort your hand to the power lock mechanism and unplug the power lock jumper at the lock. Unplug the power lock jumper at the tailgate harness. Replace with new jumper which has power lock and proximity connections. Proximity connector connects to the bottom of door handle.

Put everything back together.

After this you will need to complete three more actions. Right now, only a willing dealer can perform these.

1) Sales code for Proximity Locks (GXD, I believe) needs to be added to your VIN in the magical FCA database.
2) The RF Hub (located in left rear quarter, behind trim), needs to re-programmed to allow the proximity features to work. There is a very nice description of how the system works - called "Passive Entry" on the FCA site.
3) Uconnect "feature" needs to be "flashed/enabled" in your vehicle's uconnect system.

In a perfect world, it would be nice if all you needed the dealer to do was have FCA add the sales code. Steps 2 and 3 could be done by an aftermarket programmer. Step 3 DEFINITELY can be done, Step 2 seems to be a problem. I don't know if that's because of the sales code issue.

Note adding the sales code is done when you have the dealer install the AUX wiring or tow kit. So it can be done, just getting a dealer to do it for a "non-standard" install...that seems to be the problem.

I would get a firm price and clear indication of what the dealer will do and how far they will go to help you. Having them do everything above is probably cost-prohibitive. Doing steps 1,2,3 should be what, $100 or $200? Maybe even free? At any rate, if you did the install yourself, I doubt any dealer will be willing to troubleshoot beyond 1,2,3. In other words you may be on your own at that point...

By far the most difficult part is removal and install of door harnesses. This could be 2-3 hours EACH door, depending on how good of a contortionist you are!

Sponsored

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
Just curious if anyone is still working on this. I would love to hear that someone has figured out how to make this work. Proximity locks is what I miss the most from my last vehicle to my jl!!

Xpack109

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just curious if anyone is still working on this. I would love to hear that someone has figured out how to make this work. Proximity locks is what I miss the most from my last vehicle to my jl!!
It is possible yes but not everyone is able to do it. Where do you live at? My best advice to give to you is go to your dealer and ask for the service manager. Tell him you want to add the proximity entry tell him it’s not possible to add the sales code and that the area engineer has to do so. So far there is nothing aftermarket to my knowledge few have succeeded in adding me and one other person cost less than 500 dollars for myself others not sure but like before started in today’s age anything is possible with the correct amount of money. There is also a place in Texas that has created the same thing for Ram trucks last time I checked which was last year they had not make a kit for the wrangler. The Ram kit they produce is actually better in my opinion they have figured out how to wire in all 4 doors for the proximity feature. The company in Texas is called Auto Tech Electric great people and great customer service

MissJane225

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JLU
I did a little more research on this. If Jeep is like any other manufacturer, the handle IS the antenna. So it really comes down to

1. Are the doors pre-wired for this feature. Might be trim level dependent, always, or not at all.
2. What must be done to enable once installed? Dealer config? Something that could be added to the Taser feature set?

I'll pull my tail gate trim this weekend see what wiring is there and if it matches the passive entry wiring diagram.

I spoke with a dealer in my area. They are doing this to a Jeep JLU on Monday. From my understanding it’s extremely costly for Sport and Sport S. If you have a Rubicon or Sahara the module and wires are already built in the car. You would just have to purchase the handles and once installed they call FCA and have them put this feature into the build code of your Jeep. They said right now a rough estimate is going to be $750. But that could change. After market builds are always more than when it was factory installed.

Sponsored

Xpack109

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I spoke with a dealer in my area. They are doing this to a Jeep JLU on Monday. From my understanding it’s extremely costly for Sport and Sport S. If you have a Rubicon or Sahara the module and wires are already built in the car. You would just have to purchase the handles and once installed they call FCA and have them put this feature into the build code of your Jeep. They said right now a rough estimate is going to be $750. But that could change. After market builds are always more than when it was factory installed.
They are going to have to re wire the doors new handle and caps and in the rear it needs a jumper harness along with all the handles and then have FCA or local engineer to program, is it going to cost the dealer 750 dollars not at all customer maybe I did it for under 500

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
They are going to have to re wire the doors new handle and caps and in the rear it needs a jumper harness along with all the handles and then have FCA or local engineer to program, is it going to cost the dealer 750 dollars not at all customer maybe I did it for under 500
So, reading through all the posts I see some say proximity locks can be added and others say it cannot be added. The gist that I'm getting though is that adding the proximity locks IS possible but totally dependant on the dealer. Would that be a safe assumption then?

Graceme123

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
I spoke with my dealer on Friday and they seem to think that they can get the area engineer to do what is needed to make them work. However they are also telling me that I will need to pay them the regular labor rate for the time of phone calls and such that they will need to make in order make this happen and that is on top of the cost to install all the parts. So at this point I am waiting to talk to them further before I move forward. If I do choose to move forward I plan on doing as much of the work as possible myself.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
TBH. I didn’t order it on my build. Didn’t see the point. I have it on my P Car and it’s very useful. But, the key actually fits in my pocket. And it also allows me to open the frunk without take the key out. However the Jeep fob is thinker than my iPhone. I need to take it out of my pocket as soon as I enter. As long as I have remote start I’m good to go.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I spoke with my dealer on Friday and they seem to think that they can get the area engineer to do what is needed to make them work. However they are also telling me that I will need to pay them the regular labor rate for the time of phone calls and such that they will need to make in order make this happen and that is on top of the cost to install all the parts. So at this point I am waiting to talk to them further before I move forward. If I do choose to move forward I plan on doing as much of the work as possible myself.
Do let us know Heather how this turns out for you. : - )
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.