Sponsored

Whoops. Don’t mention 7% until after the test drive.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
If you don't mind me asking, what was the MSRP and what was the final negotiated price. I have seen some great deals but this would be the greatest of all. I appreciate the info on monthly payments but monthly payments rarely tell the story of sales price. Depending on length of finance and interest rate the monthly payment for the same vehicle being sold at the same price to 2 different people could vary a couple hundred a month.

I couldn't agree more on the importance of patience and the willingness to walk out without buying at your price are probably the 2 most important factors in your ability to get any vehicle at the price that makes you happy.
Not sure we have heard of 21% off true MSRP. Sure hope it wasn't off the price with etching and market adjustments...and that they weren't burned playing the "payment game"
Sponsored

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
My goal is a
Punkn rubicon JLU.
6spd.
All options except the steel bumpers.
Sky one touch.

I have searched and searched and even if I’m okay with the 2.0 or the 8spd I cannot find a fully loaded punkn JLUR with the sky one touch on any lots.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
7% is child's play if you buying off the lot, I don't even visit a dealership, I look at online inventory and just email them, see what they come back with, I don't give my phone number until a price is agreed to by email, last JL Sahara I got 11k off was looking for zero options, ended up with almost fully loaded for the base price. Deal with high volume auto malls for best price.
Yup, can agree here. I got my jeep about 15% off sport jl 38, for 32

I told them how much I wanted for trade in and how much i was willing to pay, told them to take off the extra charge for ocean blue paint and what my monthly payment had to be.

Talked to the guy for a bit, waited and waited until some special region sales guy called me. Finally went in just to see and he did better than what i had planned out.

I wasn’t ready to buy but for the deal i got, couldn’t say no (traded in a zr2 and they gave me 4000 less than what i paid a year before)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't mind me asking, what was the MSRP and what was the final negotiated price. I have seen some great deals but this would be the greatest of all. I appreciate the info on monthly payments but monthly payments rarely tell the story of sales price. Depending on length of finance and interest rate the monthly payment for the same vehicle being sold at the same price to 2 different people could vary a couple hundred a month.

I couldn't agree more on the importance of patience and the willingness to walk out without buying at your price are probably the 2 most important factors in your ability to get any vehicle at the price that makes you happy.
I don’t mind at all, and you are right. I have attached an email showing MSRP with $8,000 discount. I also got $19,000 for my trade, which is the other piece of this. They wanted to give me 14K, I wanted 20K. We settled on 19k.

B5538ED2-5A9D-4EF7-A21C-60F741CB189E.jpeg

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Oh by the way, it did help that I am a totally disabled veteran, and I have an over 800 credit score, and debt to income ratio is good. In spite of that, one bank turned me down. That always seems to happen on every vehicle purchase.

Sponsored

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t mind at all, and you are right. I have attached an email showing MSRP with $8,000 discount. I also got $19,000 for my trade, which is the other piece of this. They wanted to give me 14K, I wanted 20K. We settled on 19k.

Thanks for the quick response. That is awesome. Also thank you for your service and your sacrifice

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Many dealers post on here 7-8% under invoice on orders. Criswell in Maryland being one of the most popular.

It’s a weird scenario where I know I’m likely not going to buy local. If they can’t match at least 7% (brown in VA is doing 8% with tread lightly) there’s no way I’m buying there. Road trip with the buddies is worth a few grand. Around here about invoice is the norm.

That said I’m not driving to Maryland to test drive so I still need the dealers here to drive. I’ve driven a 3.6 rubicon with the 8 speed. I’d like to drive a manual and a 2.0. Is also like to drive a Gladiator. There are many other dealers around here so I’ll go to another and not mention anything until after my drives. I’d love to buy local, but I’m not paying more to do so.

I get he doesn’t want me to waste his time. I offered to try to set up a group buy on here but they aren’t interested. Which is totally fine. They sell enough at the prices they set. That said they do have the engine/transmissions I am looking for, not the exact build and options so they do have what I want to test drive. Not my fault their prices suck. I though maybe since I was a loyal customer with a work discount I could be up front. I’m pretty honest. Nope.

I just thought it was a funny story.
If you want to do a test drive local but don't want to have to play the game, rent a Jeep from Enterprise or some other rental company. My wife wanted to do an extended test drive so I went to one, told them what I wanted and that I wanted it as a test drive for my wife so dates weren't an issue. The guy called me two days later and I went with her to pick it up for a two day test drive. There was no pressure and we got to drive it for a couple of days of real-world driving, doing what we normally do to see if it would work for her instead of once around the block.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure we have heard of 21% off true MSRP. Sure hope it wasn't off the price with etching and market adjustments...and that they weren't burned playing the "payment game"
No, not burned as you can see in the embedded email in my previous response.

Many “experts” advise against negotiating based upon payment. But if you know the math ahead of time, know what interest rate is acceptable to you, know how monthly payment affects negotiated price and trade-in value, it can certainly be used as leverage in negotiation, as noted in the proof of my success. You have it in front of you. I achieved 20.6% (which I rounded up to 21) off of MSRP.

Another factor. I bought it as a new 2018 halfway through 2019, right before 2020s hit the market. In Florida, if a new vehicle sits on the lot for 400 days, it has to be sold as a “pre-owned” vehicle. I let them know that I knew that. I specifically targeted this Jeep because of that. I was just really lucky it had the options I wanted and was one of my acceptable colors (black is the top of that list, actually).

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner

True, I can give you 84 months and you can pay $150. A month

Skullfreak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Jeep Sahara
Am not having much luck on finding a good price on what I want.
For new 2020 here to order MSRP is 52k all I can get it to is 50kOTD
I called fitzpatrick jeep twice no one calls back lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Where ya at. I had no issues getting Criswell to reply.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I received 21% off of MSRP. Here is my winning strategy; I have done this for three vehicles. IT TAKES PATIENCE AND RESOLVE!!!

Pick any close dealership, test-drive ANY Jeep - doesn’t matter if you want it or not. Give them an impossibly low offer; they will come back with high numbers. Give them the same impossibly low offer. When they come back too high, thank them for their time and leave. If you have a trade, give them an impossibly high value on your trade too.

You WILL receive tons of offers from your area of the state after that visit. I did. It took about two weeks. A manager - not a sales manager - contacted me personally with info on the Jeep I ended up buying. I waited two days and then called her. I told her the truth - I didn’t NEED a new vehicle, I WANTED a Jeep but my wife was totally against it. I told her that the local dealership couldn’t even come close. She said “But you haven’t dealt with ME!” Game on. I drove an hour south and met with her.

I kept giving them the same impossibly low numbers throughout the process, after the test-drive. The lowest the sales manager could get was in the high-300’s for a monthly payment. I thanked him and the salesman, and as I started to leave the original manager came to me and said “Where are you going?” I told her that sadly, in spite of her people’s BEST EFFORTS, they couldn’t meet my wife’s requirements. She asked for those requirements. I said “Two hundred a month,” $50 BELOW my wife’s requirements. Fifteen minutes later she comes back with new figures - down from almost $400 a month to - and you won’t believe this - $249 a month.

My wife was rather shocked, needless to say. The process at the dealership took 3-4 hours.
I am a tad confused by this. it sounds like you were negotiating either lease or finance terms rather than the out the door price of the vehicle. That strategy can have its own set of dangers.

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

That's an incredible deal! I missed out on the group buy at Fitzpatrick in CT. If someone offered me 21% under MSRP for the Rubicon I'm looking for, my ass would be on the way there tonight.

Thank you for your service!

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Don't call Fitzpatrick. Email Mark at [email protected] with your build and he will bet back to you. You will have much more success, but bear in mind that he is in the process of delivering many of the group buy units in the next 2 weeks, so he will be busy.