Using an electric polisher

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So I bought a new polisher on Amazon, the Porter-Cable variable speed and have been playing around with it. However, it seems weird that the spindle would spin freely and separate from the housing that the motor spins. If I put any pressure at all, even the slightest, the pad doesn't spin regardless of the speed. Is that normal? It seems like the spindle needs to spin freely to use the wrench to tighten the pad but then it should spin as fast as the motor, right?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I bought a new polisher on Amazon, the Porter-Cable variable speed and have been playing around with it. However, it seems weird that the spindle would spin freely and separate from the housing that the motor spins. If I put any pressure at all, even the slightest, the pad doesn't spin regardless of the speed. Is that normal? It seems like the spindle needs to spin freely to use the wrench to tighten the pad but then it should spin as fast as the motor, right?
Tighten your spindle via a slot with wrench provided first... this is mostly a user error issue..

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm absolutely sure it's user error but the spindle looks to be attached to bearings and I don't see a slot to tighten it. Should the pad be down far enough to rest against the counterweight to spin it, maybe?

20190808_113007.jpg

View attachment 212547

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm absolutely sure it's user error but the spindle looks to be attached to bearings and I don't see a slot to tighten it. Should the pad be down far enough to rest against the counterweight to spin it, maybe?

20190808_113007.jpg

View attachment 212547
So basically you take a thin provided wrench and hold that nut in place (with one hand) while screwing on the spindle pads to tighten. (With other hand)
Easier if there was a slot/notch so your wrench would make it act like a flag nut.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So basically you take a thin provided wrench and hold that nut in place (with one hand) while screwing on the spindle pads to tighten. (With other hand)
Easier if there was a slot/notch so your wrench would make it act like a flag nut.
Oh, I get that part, but there's still a gap between the pad and the counterweight and the pad spins freely on the spindle. So if I turn it on, I can just hold the pad and it won't spin even if the rest of the housing is spinning.

20190808_115517.jpg

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Oh, I get that part, but there's still a gap between the pad and the counterweight and the pad spins freely on the spindle. So if I turn it on, I can just hold the pad and it won't spin even if the rest of the housing is spinning.

20190808_115517.jpg
Gap is normal. As long as you make sure the pads are screwed on tight.
did you play with the speed/power adjuster knob/dial at the other end if there is one?

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I did turn it up but I can still put just a little pressure on the pad and it won't spin. Only the motor and counterweight spin

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yeah, I did turn it up but I can still put just a little pressure on the pad and it won't spin. Only the motor and counterweight spin
You may be using too much pressure.
I mean, I want to say that it’s normal and part of the design since it does spin slower if you put pressure on it and too much pressure prevents it from spinning at all. Refer to this video to make sure your pad is in-fact spinning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help. I'm going to just look for a different one and send this one back.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks for the help. I'm going to just look for a different one and send this one back.
Start watching at 10:30 mark

It’s quite normal for it to stop spinning with too much pressure.
I don’t think exchanging another one will make any difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Start watching at 10:30 mark

It’s quite normal for it to stop spinning with too much pressure.
I don’t think exchanging another one will make any difference.
Huh, good video. Maybe I'm just using it incorrectly and expecting it to spin faster. I guess the couterweight helps polish it more than what I was thinking?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
It's a good thing. Too much pressure stops it and keeps your from burning through your clear coat.

It takes a lot more finesse to use a rotary (doesnt stop like your da polisher does).

I believe this guy uses your polisher and has some great instructional videos.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The pad is supposed to spin freely. It's OK for the pad to stop moving when applied to the surface. The polishing comes for the orbital motion of the hub assembly, not the rotating of the pad. It's not a grinder where the pad is hard connected to the shaft. It's working perfectly normally, don't send it back.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
First - it's a random orbital machine (huh) that means it does NOT spin like a rotary. You showed a wool pad attached - that ain't going to work. The wool fibers will just mash flat and not move, use a foam pad. Check out autogeek forum for videos and tips. You have a good machine, I started with one years ago, it died - had it fixed and it's still running today. If you get a forced rotation machine like a Flex, Rupes, Griots Garage, it will work faster - but you will need to pay closer attention or you'll have an oh shit moment (been there- done that).

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I don't want to sound insensitive or like an a$$hole but have you ever used one before? If you haven't, I don't want to see you burn the paint on your Jeep practicing. It seems like the paint is just getting thinner and thinner on new cars over the years which leaves little room for error. My suggestion is to find an old door or tailgate at a scrap yard to practice on before using it on your Jeep.
Sponsored