Sponsored

Rubicon vs Moab

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at the Rubicon as my next vehicle. But then I see the Moab version. Is a Moab a high optioned Rubicon? Or is it more than that
Unless you plan on doing aggressive off-roading, don't waste your money on a Rubicon. The other models will do just fine otherwise, including general off-roading and winter driving.

The only real differences between the other models are the options available, otherwise mechanically, they're all pretty much the same, outside of the Selec-Trac III Full-Time Four-Wheel-Drive System offered on the Sahara and Moab models. The Moab is essentially a Sahara w/the Rubicon's heavier duty suspension. The Moab also comes w/just the 8-Speed Automatic Transmission, while w/the other models, the 6-Speed Manual is also offered. Approximately $43K, w/leather seats and an automatic transmission, for the Sahara, vs. $51K for the Moab. ;) You can always later upgrade the Sahara's suspension w/that of a Rubicon's, for very little money, and you'll essentially then have a Moab.

With the other models, I do recommend getting an Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, and if you plan to do some light towing, like a tent trailer for example, getting the trailer towing package as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Buy what you want, but again the Moab is pretty much a Gimick just a name and stickers.
I'll keep my Rubicon.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I think you will be happy with either. I bought the Rubicon basically for the looks (special order with pretty much all the options checked). Loved the Moab but couldn’t get a soft top only so that was the final deciding factor for me. Wranglers are the only true Jeeps (ok I’ll throw the Gladiator in there too) so regardless what you buy you’ll have a great vehicle!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
It's obvious Jeep makes all their money on the $20K worth of options on the Sahara/Moab/Rubicon trims. As a Sport owner, I just stepped in here to thank you suckers.....er, I mean fine folks.... for subsidizing my Jeep! Thank you! :beer:
1.png

OP
OP
mtnbikeracer76

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
Unless you plan on doing aggressive off-roading, don't waste your money on a Rubicon. The other models will do just fine otherwise, including general off-roading and winter driving.

The only real differences between the other models are the options available, otherwise mechanically, they're all pretty much the same, outside of the Selec-Trac III Full-Time Four-Wheel-Drive System offered on the Sahara and Moab models. The Moab is essentially a Sahara w/the Rubicon's heavier duty suspension. The Moab also comes w/just the 8-Speed Automatic Transmission, while w/the other models, the 6-Speed Manual is also offered. Approximately $43K, w/leather seats and an automatic transmission, for the Sahara, vs. $51K for the Moab. ;) You can always later upgrade the Sahara's suspension w/that of a Rubicon's, for very little money, and you'll essentially then have a Moab.

With the other models, I do recommend getting an Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, and if you plan to do some light towing, like a tent trailer for example, getting the trailer towing package as well.
I want to get into more than just general off-road trails. I'm only a 2 hours away from Rausch Creek. Even want to do some of the Jeep Honor trails. So the Rubicon will be the better fit than a Sahara.

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I want to get into more than just general off-road trails. I'm only a 2 hours away from Rausch Creek. Even want to do some of the Jeep Honor trails. So the Rubicon will be the better fit than a Sahara.
I only pointed out the Sahara when it came to your mentioning the Moab. Once again, they're pretty much the same, except for suspensions as well as cost differences.

If you plan to do some aggressive off-roading vs. highway, then yes, go w/the Rubicon. That's what it was built for.

On the other hand, if you plan to do mostly highway, w/some occasional off-roading and winter snow, then the Sahara. That's what it was designed for. Its got a softer, quieter ride, and has more comfortable seating.

As for the Sport models, they're a combination of both ends of the spectrum, both general off-roading and highway.

I guess the only thing I highly recommend getting for your Rubicon, is a winch. Get a Rubicon w/the steel winch bumper. It only takes one incident for a winch to pay for itself. Jeeps do get stuck. :( Don't forget an off-road kit like Jeep's Trail Rated Kit w/at least a 22-foot, 18,000-lb tensile strength tow strap, gloves, and 2x 3/4" D-Rings. Jeep use to offer it free w/the purchase of a new Jeep. I kept mine from a 2013 Jeep JKU I once owned..

Anyway, it's your money of course, to spend as you wish.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Those black Moab wheels are the best stock wheels available in the Jeep line up. :beer:

Full-time 4WD is a real nice thing, too. My Land Cruiser has it, and my Range Rover had it too.

You can always add lockers and whatnot. I chose to get all from the factory, because I did a custom order and got exactly what I wanted. If I could have gotten a descent prices lift from Toledo I would have done that too. :rock:

Some good natured ribbing here and there, but if the hardcore MOAB haters keep it up this thread gonna get locked too. :mad:

Bottom line...red stitching and a red dash, along with all-terrain tires really tie it all together and are obviously the reason we all picked our Rubicons. :muscle:

So go on with your bad self and your fancy schmancy full time 4WD and your real off road tires. We didn't want em anyway! :brokenhearted:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I just don't understand why you would get a Moab when for like $7 more you can get a real Rubicon.

Anyone?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't understand why you would get a Moab when for like $7 more you can get a real Rubicon.

Anyone?
Folks buy vehicles for any number of reasons, appearance packages being one of those (very legitimate) reasons. As I've stated before I really LIKE the MOAB... it checks a lot of boxes I wanted on my Jeep and it has some unique features. Folks do that all the time... buying packages for what they look like. Nuthin... and I mean NUTHIN... wrong with that. If you want some of the looks of the Rubi but your intended usage doesn't include rough and rumble trails I think the MOAB is a great way to go.

MOABs are just as real as Rubicons or Sports or Saharas. I subscribe to only 2 rules in this regard... well actually more like guidelines than rules... but "buy what you want" and "love what you drive". If ANY Jeep meets those 2 criteria who am I to second guess?

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t need lockers and I am fine with a quick disconnect, the Dana 30 front end is still solid axle and tougher than any other front end in a mass production vehicle you can buy in the states.. I hate the red dash and red stitching, also the giant red rubicon sticker is Blahh, I like the black trim against the sting gray color looks great.. and I am pricing out about 4K less... I am going Moab for the win.. especially since I wheel with my wife, 7 year old and 5 year old, and am not trying to make a YouTube highlight rock climbing video when I go off highway.. and I am in SoCal with tons of sandy washboard riverbed where the all time 4wheel drive with limited slip differential will probably be more useful that a higher gear ratio

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I like the black trim against the sting gray color looks great.. and I am pricing out about 4K less... I am going Moab for the win
The Sting Gray MOAB is really sharp! Love all the blacked out trim and badging! I can understand your angst with the red dash, seems to be a love it or hate it feature. My Punk'n JLUR came with a grey dash (though I do like the red stitching and accents).

Enjoy your Jeep!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Sting Gray MOAB is really sharp! Love all the blacked out trim and badging! I can understand your angst with the red dash, seems to be a love it or hate it feature. My Punk'n JLUR came with a grey dash (though I do like the red stitching and accents).

Enjoy your Jeep!
Thanks really like your pumpkin, my business partner has the same set up as you.. the orange and black really pop together.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Thanks really like your pumpkin, my business partner has the same set up as you.. the orange and black really pop together.
O.K., first of all, @MallCrusher949 , it's Punk'n, not pumpkin. Second, well I guess there's no second, just, you know, the first thing.
Although, I guess you'll have to find a Moab in stock, as they just ain't makin' um anymore.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
O.K., first of all, @MallCrusher949 , it's Punk'n, not pumpkin. Second, well I guess there's no second, just, you know, the first thing.
Although, I guess you'll have to find a Moab in stock, as they just ain't makin' um anymore.
ya, I found like 5 in stock within 500 miles, so the dealer I like to work with is working on a trade to bring one in. If not, i will have to road trip to get one.

Also my apologies on the Punk'n thing no disrespect intended.. lol
Sponsored