Sponsored

Differential cover advice?

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Looking at a better looking version and these seem to be my first pick. I guess this one uses a gasket? Most are siliconed on.

Also, these D2’s look like they just come with silver bolts. Customer service said they’re stainless. Comes with a gasket and no silicone required.

Thoughts? Any other options to consider?

So the JL Rubicon is the 44 with a specific front and rear? 210 and 220? (Geez, forgot to ask customer service).

Thanks

http://g2axle.com/pages/view/jl_offerings#play

CB38575C-79E4-4589-94B0-EB32E5280D04.jpeg

30E08491-8E6A-484A-9447-B41F55165DE4.jpeg

BCF342F6-FA08-478E-8C5F-FE55A9314419.png

FBBA605B-3386-41C7-8613-4A6356126E06.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
There is a great YT series from Banks Power "Do Diff Covers Work or Are they Just Bling". Gale Banks tests aftermarket diff covers and most perform very poorly compared with stock diff covers.
Except he did not "prove" anything--never released any test results, went on and on about aeration of oil (which happens with all covers including OEM) and how it heats the oil excessively and reduces viscosity AND in the end became a glorified sales pitch for his new line of differential covers. I ran a Mag-Hytec on a F150 towing between 8K and 9K pounds for about 45% of the 160K miles I put on it and nothing detrimental happened and the oil ran cooler. YMMV!

Last edited:

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Except he did not "prove" anything--never released any test results, went on and on about aeration of oil (which happens with all covers including OEM) and how it heats the oil excessively and reduces viscosity AND in the end became a glorified sales pitch for his new line of differential covers. I ran a Mag-Hytec on a F150 towing between 8K and 9K pounds for about 45% of the 160K Mike's I put on it and nothing detrimental happened and the oil ran cooler. YMMV!
Exactly. Great salesman and plenty of people on truck forums believed him. Zero test results proved to me that there wasn’t any statistically different changes to the gear oil.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Except he did not "prove" anything--never released any test results, went on and on about aeration of oil (which happens with all covers including OEM) and how it heats the oil excessively and reduces viscosity AND in the end became a glorified sales pitch for his new line of differential covers. I ran a Mag-Hytec on a F150 towing between 8K and 9K pounds for about 45% of the 160K Mike's I put on it and nothing detrimental happened and the oil ran cooler. YMMV!
True. But what I took away from the videos is that not all diff covers are created equal. There may diff covers that perform just like OEM, and there are probably some that perform worse. But, it's probably safe to say that most aftermarket companies who make a diff cover, don't conduct the same level of research as the OEM would. Alot of them probably take a 3D scan, make a prototype, slap it on for some cool pictures, and market it.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True. But what I took away from the videos is that not all diff covers are created equal. There may diff covers that perform just like OEM, and there are probably some that perform worse. But, it's probably safe to say that most aftermarket companies who make a diff cover, don't conduct the same level of research as the OEM would. Alot of them probably take a 3D scan, make a prototype, slap it on for some cool pictures, and market it.
I would agree with you, though Banks simply went after the "flat back" models like Mag-Hytec, G2, and so on. He stated (with zero empirical evidence) that flat back covers and the extra oil capacity they provide generally give no gains. My axle ran cooler and my UOAs showed no excessive loss of viscosity and though I am one guy, my "test results" are more convincing (to me) than any YouTube video hawking a "new and improved" differential cover.

OP
OP

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I would agree with you, though Banks simply went after the "flat back" models like Mag-Hytec, G2, and so on. He stated (with zero empirical evidence) that flat back covers and the extra oil capacity they provide generally give no gains. My axle ran cooler and my UOAs showed no excessive loss of viscosity and though I am one guy, my "test results" are more convincing (to me) than any YouTube video hawking a "new and improved" differential cover.

Do you have one on your JL now? Of so, which?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have one on your JL now? If so, which?
I am researching them now. The AFE Power "front and back" kit looks pretty nice. I am thinking about buying them in raw finish and having them powder coated in Mojito Green.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I think ive decided on dana diff covers, nodular iron like most etc.

And they make the axles so kind of gives piece of mind. Plus they come in that nice silver/grey already painted

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Help me understand too.

The mechanical engineer in me totally understands a front diff cover.
You’re going through water or mud, where you can’t see what’s underneath. So it’s very possible to strike something solid that could easily damage the thin steel front diff cover.

And it’s not like you’re in 4WD all of the time anyway..

But for the rear...

The rear is ALWAYS working to move the vehicle. Sometimes in very hot temps, and for hours at a time.

One thing iron is extremely good at is retaining heat, and heat will eventually destroy gears.

An aluminium rear cover makes more sense to me, as aluminum is great at shedding heat, and it’s not like you’re backing through water crossings, so impact can me mostly mitigated.

Sure, you can scrape over the top of a rock and peel the rear diff cover off, but this too can be mitigated by a thicker aluminum cover or rear diff skid.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If you’re wanting armor for the diff, motobilt has it figured out. They have a great set for the Rubis 44s or the sport/Sahara/Moab. People (we) buy them to replace the flimsy stock cover that can get peeled back on a trail and leave you in a bad spot

Brett

T76turbo

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
@STG01 It may come with a gasket but you do not have to use it. I have a very good buddy who builds differentials for a living. Mostly race cars, jeeps, and lifted trucks. He uses silicone on every cover he installs. But some do use the gaskets. I have just heard way more than one person say that silicone is what they use. I have heard them say they use Ultra Gray by permatex iirc.

OP
OP

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I am researching them now. The AFE Power "front and back" kit looks pretty nice. I am thinking about buying them in raw finish and having them powder coated in Mojito Green.
Keep us posted. The AFE logo is pretty obnoxious though. LOL. I’m looking for something that looks good too. Plan on powder coating them as well.

FA23EA22-D9B3-4E5C-BAEC-C986276A68CA.jpeg

OP
OP

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
@STG01 It may come with a gasket but you do not have to use it. I have a very good buddy who builds differentials for a living. Mostly race cars, jeeps, and lifted trucks. He uses silicone on every cover he installs. But some do use the gaskets. I have just heard way more than one person say that silicone is what they use. I have heard them say they use Ultra Gray by permatex iirc.

Thanks for the info ..

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us posted. The AFE logo is pretty obnoxious though. LOL. I’m looking for something that looks good too. Plan on powder coating them as well.
Agreed. I like the front one, the rear not so much. I am looking for drain plug (must have) and dip stick (nice to have) to make the maintenance a breeze.
Sponsored