Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks to be the shell only. Read the description.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I still wouldn't get it. I wouldn't put the Mopar rear steel bumper on if someone gave it to me for free. People have reported body damage to the pinch welds after coming down on the corner of the steel bumper. Right now I have the OEM plastic bumper and I'm glad I do. 2 weeks ago in colorado I came off a small ledge and slammed the corner of my bumper on a rock. (There was no other way because you were driving through a cut the width of a Jeep and there's only one line to take) My buddies JK with 3.5 inch lift and 35s even hit his bumper. Destroyed the plastic bumper but I'm certain that if I had the steel, the mount would have crushed the pinch weld.

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
That definitely appears to be it, however people with a sport would need the whole kit as this looks to be just the metal bumper which is all the people who are upgrading need.

OP
OP
Robs JL

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
That definitely appears to be it, however people with a sport would need the whole kit as this looks to be just the metal bumper which is all the people who are upgrading need.
Ive got a sahara. would I need all the hardware parts?

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I still wouldn't get it. I wouldn't put the Mopar rear steel bumper on if someone gave it to me for free. People have reported body damage to the pinch welds after coming down on the corner of the steel bumper. Right now I have the OEM plastic bumper and I'm glad I do. 2 weeks ago in colorado I came off a small ledge and slammed the corner of my bumper on a rock. (There was no other way because you were driving through a cut the width of a Jeep and there's only one line to take) My buddies JK with 3.5 inch lift and 35s even hit his bumper. Destroyed the plastic bumper but I'm certain that if I had the steel, the mount would have crushed the pinch weld.
Is there any disadvantage to doing a steel front bumper (for winch, etc) and a plastic rear? I've been thinking of finding a takeoff Rubicon steel front bumper but didn't really have any plans to do the same for the rear.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Is there any disadvantage to doing a steel front bumper (for winch, etc) and a plastic rear? I've been thinking of finding a takeoff Rubicon steel front bumper but didn't really have any plans to do the same for the rear.
That's the set up I'm currently running. Ordered plastic bumpers and found a front steel take off. I haven't heard of any downfalls with the factory steel front bumper. I guess the only disadvantage to the factory front steel bumper is that you have to buy a winch plate, whereas most aftermarket bumpers already have provisions for a winch. But it's the only bumper that I like the looks of that met my criteria of a recessed winch and fog lights. I wish it had a bit thicker gauge steel but it does the job fine. I'm running my broken plastic rear bumper until my custom ACE Engineering bumper shows up.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
As long as we are talking replacing plastic with steel, does anyone know if our factory plastic bumper Rubi's have a different spring rate than steel bumper Rubi's? I just bought a front steel from a guy and have not put it on yet. Has winch loop, lights etc. Will our front ends be lower with steel? It's around 80lbs.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
The steel Rubicon front bumper is only slightly stronger than the plastic standard bumper. Cosmetically it has a better appearance and you can mount a winch in it.....but make NO mistake it is NOT nearly as strong as an aftermarket steel bumper for the JL. I would save the $ $ and buy a good aftermarket steel / aluminum bumper.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
As long as we are talking replacing plastic with steel, does anyone know if our factory plastic bumper Rubi's have a different spring rate than steel bumper Rubi's? I just bought a front steel from a guy and have not put it on yet. Has winch loop, lights etc. Will our front ends be lower with steel? It's around 80lbs.
Yeah, you lose like a half inch.