DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
In the Top Tier fuel thread, I mentioned I would get an ethanol test kit. Well, it came, so I filled a gas can with some Shell regular 87 octane gas and tested it tonight.

I had heard that it is now typical for fuel not to have the advertised level of ethanol in it because gasoline is cheaper. I had even heard of E85 being more like E70, or 70% ethanol instead of the advertised 85%. The funny thing was seeing someone say they felt cheated, not realizing that they were getting the better end of the bargain with more gasoline in the mix, which has more btu's, and thus, more power and fuel economy.

Anyway, I tested the Shell gas from a station that I frequent about 30% of the time when I fill up my Jeeps. I chose it over the one I use mostly because prices rose today and this station was $2.37 per gallon while my favorite was at $2.69.

So, I first put water up to the water fill line...

3ubQzl9.jpg

I then filled it precisely to the proper line with the Shell gasoline, shook it up, and then let it sit for a few minutes. The water mixes with the ethanol, and then the gasoline floats on top of it. The raised level can then be read as a percentage. Of course you have to really eyeball it.

Dh0p3Oz.jpg

As you can see, it is well below 10%, which is a very good thing. I'll call it 6%. That really makes it hard to justify seeking out and paying more for ethanol free gas. It also might explain why my JK 3.8 runs a little better the last year to 18 months, assuming the ethanol content is less.

I'll test it again from another Shell station and then maybe one more brand, like BP or 66. While the additive package is different for the brands, the gasoline comes from the same refinery, so I will expect the ethanol content to be the same, unless it varies by batch. I will also do it again when we get to the changeover to winter formulation. I might also do a test on V-power, just for kicks. It will be interesting to see what we find.

vZrQgr5.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Nice job Dan! Could you do Sunoco too? That’s the other brand I use when I’m not using shell.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol! Here is another shot with different lighting. I'm thinking 6%. Maybe 5.5, but definitely more than 5.

uZ1p56f.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job Dan! Could you do Sunoco too? That’s the other brand I use when I’m not using shell.
Sure! I'll also do their ethanol free, just to be sure we're not getting ripped off. I don't think we are, though, because my JK runs significantly better on it. It is just too much $$$ to run all the time.

It may be a bit before I get up there, but I'll be sure to do it. I do need to gas up my boat anyway, so that gives me an excuse to go up there.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Sure! I'll also do their ethanol free, just to be sure we're not getting ripped off. I don't think we are, though, because my JK runs significantly better on it. It is just too much $$$ to run all the time.

It may be a bit before I get up there, but I'll be sure to do it. I do need to gas up my boat anyway, so that gives me an excuse to go up there.
Thanks Dan!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Much appreciated!

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Very cool topic! Always wondered how legitimate the fuel to ethanol ratios are especially “winter blends”. Can’t wait to see your follow up experiment on that.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good postings Dan!
Our Infiniti seems to have gotten better mpg lately w/ Ethanol, it used to get about 10% worse mpg vs ethanol-free, but now gets closer to 5%.
Don't have an Ethanol-free baseline mpg for our JL, but mpg has been decent w/ our 3.6 w/ the standard 87 octane ethanol blend (about 24mpg hwy).

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well....I had no idea it was that easy to test the ethanol content.

3cVrAf2z0oNaLftTfK.gif
What's great is that I'm actually as much a scientist as that guy! (I slept at a Holiday Inn Express!) :LOL:

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good postings Dan!
Our Infiniti seems to have gotten better mpg lately w/ Ethanol, it used to get about 10% worse mpg vs ethanol-free, but now gets closer to 5%.
Don't have an Ethanol-free baseline mpg for our JL, but mpg has been decent w/ our 3.6 w/ the standard 87 octane ethanol blend (about 24mpg hwy).
That adds up! I certainly can feel a difference in power in the JK and can see it also slightly affects MPG. I ran 1 tank of 91 octane ethanol free in the JL and I couldn't tell a difference. If the ethanol content creeps back up to 10% in the winter blend, I'll run another tankful or two through it and see if it changes things.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That adds up! I certainly can feel a difference in power in the JK and can see it also slightly affects MPG. I ran 1 tank of 91 octane ethanol free in the JL and I couldn't tell a difference. If the ethanol content creeps back up to 10% in the winter blend, I'll run another tankful or two through it and see if it changes things.
Good topic. This was a thread yesterday. Please check out Shell V-Power. I filled up yesterday cause I read that V-Power might not have Ethanol in it. I couldn't confirm that at that pump. This was after a 16-mile trip to work this AM. Halfway city and halfway 75 MPH Freeway.

Jeep.jpg

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Soooo explain like I'm 5:
Ethanol-free = (possibly) better MPG and overall performance but more $ ?

Higher octane = more $ and better MPG but not ethanol free?

Or am I completely missing the mark here
Sponsored