Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Hi all,

I took delivery of my JL Rubicon Diesel a few weeks back . (My first Jeep). So far very happy with my purchase. The diesel performance is improving as expected and fuel economy gets better with each fill. Now averaging 9.1 l/100kms.

One thing I did experience was at the delivery of my vehicle. Upon leaving the dealers on a Saturday morning (service department closed), the DPF warning came up saying it was 100% full. Of course, this meant the vehicle was in limp mode and performance was restricted. I revisited the dealer on the Monday, and they corrected the issue by performing a reset of the DPF sensor parameters. Since then, running strong and no further issues.

I note there has not been much discussion, if any, on the 2.2l, so just wanting to see what other owners thought of the diesel. Granted the popular choice seems to be the petrol version, but I just like the low down, effortless torque of the diesel. Aside from the initial hiccup, I am not disappointed.

All the best.
Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Congratulations. I saw a rubicon diesel at Parramatta Jeep. I should have had a test drive.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rubi went for it's 3,000km freebie check today. All good, no problems. The 2.2 diesel is running sweetly. Smooth at idle and almost silent with the windows up. Yes, I turn off ESS. Wish that could be a default.
Fuel economy improving with each fill. Now reportedly getting 8.7 l/100km

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
The Rubi went for it's 3,000km freebie check today. All good, no problems. The 2.2 diesel is running sweetly. Smooth at idle and almost silent with the windows up. Yes, I turn off ESS. Wish that could be a default.
Fuel economy improving with each fill. Now reportedly getting 8.7 l/100km
The fuel economy is quite nice..For 36 petrol, should I be expecting around 13L/100km?

AndysJL

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2.2 Sahara MY18
Drove all 3 versions available here in Germany (3.6, 2.0 and 2.2)..
Went for the Diesel finally (Sahara) .. mainly for two reasons.. we like to go within low rpm range.. and fuel economy (gas price here is abt double of that in California)..
After 6000km we're at 8.1 l/100km (29 mpg)..

And we're still more than happy with our choice..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had to do a little math there.
Not even broken in yet and getting 27mpg, nice!
Any plans on tuning down the line?
The thought has crossed my mind, but it may be a while. Not much aftermarket here in Australia for the JL yet, and with the 2.2 diesel not available in the USA, options and discussion are a little on the lean side. Hoping that may change in the future.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fuel economy is quite nice..For 36 petrol, should I be expecting around 13L/100km?
Best that someone with the 3.6 can confirm, but around 13 l/100km is also my understanding.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I did a trip to Newcastle and back. On the highway i got 7.5 litre per 100k Thats the petrol Pentastar

Sponsored

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
I'm based in the UK, but I do have the 2.2 diesel version. I'm very pleased with it so far.

I bought the vehicle with just over 2000 miles on it and I am now approaching 5000 miles.
No issues or problems whatsoever with the engine.
Sure, its no sports car, but fast enough for the roads around Yorkshire and OK on the motorway at 80 mph. The acceleration is positively brisk compared to my previous 4x4 which was a Defender 2.2 litre Puma diesel. The Jeep has noticeably more torque and acceleration and the auto box and smooth drivetrain are a joy compared to the Defender's manual and clunky transmission.

I went for the 2.2 diesel over the 2 litre petrol for a couple of reasons.
Improved fuel economy.
Longer service intervals.

I drove both, and whilst the petrol felt more powerful, I decided the diesel was more than adequate for my needs.

I've only towed a small twin axle 750kg fully loaded trailer so far, but the Wrangler towed it really well over some steep passes in the Lake District with no drama or struggles.

I am having some issues with the dealer in Leeds in getting a few warranty issues sorted out and have had to get Jeep involved in the case.
One of the issues is the ESS which hardly ever works at all. (Perhaps a blessing in disguise!!)
The front park assist system has never worked since I collected the vehicle and the alarm keeps going off for no reason.
I think the alarm issue is UK specific as I understand the UK spec vehicles have a 3rd party alarm fitted on import to meet UK Thatcham security levels.
I will be returning the Wrangler to the dealer for a third time at the end of this month. Hopefully they will get it sorted this time, although I have little confidence in them.

Using the vehicle mileage and checking between fill ups I'm getting around 28 to 29 mpg on average.
On longer motorway journeys, if I keep below 70 mph (difficult) then I can get close to 40mpg which I think is very reasonable.

AussieMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Overland 2019
I have just notched 6,000 km in my 3.6 JLU, almost no freeway driving, and around 15% of off road driving. Currently sitting at 12.8 L/100.

Also, not a single issue whatsoever (so far :)) . I just need to manage my impatience whilst waiting for the after market to catch up.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just need to manage my impatience whilst waiting for the after market to catch up.
Totally get it. ETA dates of various products keep getting moved back. Really frustrating.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completed a round trip to Kanangra Walls and a couple of fire trails on Sunday. Nothing too difficult, but fuel stats came in at 7.6 l/100kms. Just passed 4000km on the clock.
Pretty happy with the diesel so far.
IMG_2554b.JPG
Sponsored