First Oil Change (Jeep Wave)

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
After reading all the horror stories posted by forum members, crank case overfill, wheels falling off, failure to drain old oil before adding new, ect. I opted out of the free stuff and do my own oil changes keeping all receipts. Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Sponsored

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
I lease, so I don't really care what they do to this appliance. They own it at the end of the lease. LOL

I just make sure it gets the oil changes at the right intervals so no fingers can be pointed at me. If they put in 7 quarts of oil, that's on them. I don't GAF.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I lease, so I don't really care what they do to this appliance. They own it at the end of the lease. LOL

I just make sure it gets the oil changes at the right intervals so no fingers can be pointed at me. If they put in 7 quarts of oil, that's on them. I don't GAF.
Don't get this logic at all, I've leased a couple vehicles and maintain them properly as I'd hope the previous owner did the same if I was buying used. I depend on my vehicles to get me from point A to point B with no issues along the way, I guess you don't GAF!

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I plan on doing my own oil changes and tire rotations myself. Too many horror stories reported with some of the idiot mechanics employed at the dealers. Also, being a business owner, where whenever I don't work I don't get paid, I cannot afford to take off and work within their time schedule. Besides, I'm actually looking forward to bonding with my JLRU... it's a "Jeep Thing", right? I miss tinkering with and detailing my vehicle while I wait for almost every drop of oil to drain out of the oil pan.

Sponsored

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
Don't get this logic at all, I've leased a couple vehicles and maintain them properly as I'd hope the previous owner did the same if I was buying used. I depend on my vehicles to get me from point A to point B with no issues along the way, I guess you don't GAF!
I didn't say anything about not maintaining it properly. I said I'd bring it in at the required intervals. That's where my liability stops. It's up to FCA to do the service correctly. It's their property. I just pay them $299 a month to drive it.

It's not a daily driver anyway, so if they screw up the service on their property, that's their problem and it won't impact my life significantly. For me itt's just a beach toy and a snowmobile when we get the occasional Mid-Atlantic snow.

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
This just reinforces my view on leased vehicles. There are loads of folks that feel the vehicle is only a tool not a family member. As for myself I would never purchase a used vehicle that had a lease history. I understand why the OP doesn't care how the dealer maintains the vehicle, he is right its their tool. Remember buyer beware..

Last edited:

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
For those that do your own oil changes...how EXACTLY is this done...step by step directions if possible. I haven’t taken delivery yet, hope soon, and I don’t have a garage....so?? Thanks in advance

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm about 4,500 miles in on my 2019 Jeep Moab. 2 questions:

1) I was told by the dealership (2 hours away) that I have 4 free oil changes and tire rotations. Can I get the oil change at any Jeep Dealership?

2) Would you guys suggest me to do oil changes at dealership/local oil change service, or just do it myself?

Suggestions and feedback is appreciated!
Been Wondering about this. Are the free oil changes true for all new JL owners, or just people in certain states?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Been Wondering about this. Are the free oil changes true for all new JL owners, or just people in certain states?
Just for JL owners that are fine with epic disappointment :(

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those that do your own oil changes...how EXACTLY is this done...step by step directions if possible. I haven’t taken delivery yet, hope soon, and I don’t have a garage....so?? Thanks in advance
Easy job, a 5qt jug of 0w-20 oil, a 1/2" socket for the drain plug, a 15/16" socket for the plastic oil filter cover nut, a drain pan & a funnel. You will run the Jeep until warmed up (about a 5 minute run), then park on level ground. Take out the drain plug and let it drain out for 15 minutes, while it's draining you will remove the oil filter cover and remove the oil filter. It's even easier as it's located on top of the motor so you won't have oil dripping all over your frame and chassis parts :) Remove filter and replace w/ new one, just be SURE new one has O-ring installed, a little fresh oil on the O-ring is a good idea. Just lightly tighten oil filter cover (18-20 ft lbs), and tighten your drain plug, also to only 20 ft lbs. Best to have a torque wrench but if not, just a turn past snug will get you there as the filter cover is easy to over-tighten. Then just pour your entire 5 qt jug into the oil fill port.

Remember to save all your receipts (I scan them and put in one folder on my PC as these receipts tend to have ink that disappears over time) :(

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Any dealer will be able to run your VIN and see how many remaining Jeep Wave oil and tire rotations you have. I just used my first one today after 6200 miles and 8 months. I still had 38% life left according to my computer.
Where or how did you check oil life through computer? Can you tell I have not played with the computer stuff much? lol.

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
Easy job, a 5qt jug of 0w-20 oil, a 1/2" socket for the drain plug, a 15/16" socket for the plastic oil filter cover nut, a drain pan & a funnel. You will run the Jeep until warmed up (about a 5 minute run), then park on level ground. Take out the drain plug and let it drain out for 15 minutes, while it's draining you will remove the oil filter cover and remove the oil filter. It's even easier as it's located on top of the motor so you won't have oil dripping all over your frame and chassis parts :) Remove filter and replace w/ new one, just be SURE new one has O-ring installed, a little fresh oil on the O-ring is a good idea. Just lightly tighten oil filter cover (18-20 ft lbs), and tighten your drain plug, also to only 20 ft lbs. Best to have a torque wrench but if not, just a turn past snug will get you there as the filter cover is easy to over-tighten. Then just pour your entire 5 qt jug into the oil fill port.

Remember to save all your receipts (I scan them and put in one folder on my PC as these receipts tend to have ink that disappears over time) :(
I’m not mechanically inclined, but it seems doable. Do you think I could do this on the road or parking lot? I don’t have a garage, I live in a coop apartment
Thanks so very much!
Sponsored