12V Fridge & freezer

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I recently purchased a small electric cooler for my weekend camping trips. It draws 5.8A constantly (no thermostat) through the 12V cigarette plug. Curious as to how long this could run without the Jeep running. I do have the tow package and AUX switches with the upgraded "650-amp maintenance-free battery with run-down protection".

Seeing some of these posts with others running large coolers for over 24 hrs makes me wonder that my little one could run for much longer.

Also, does the Jeep's "run-down protection" mean it will shut off power to the outlet if the voltage gets too low?

I've attached a link to the cooler:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/igloo-iceless-portable-electric-cooler-28-qt-0370710p.html#srp

The coolers have an auto off feature when the voltage drops to a certain level. The jeep does not have the auto power off, believe me it they can kill your battery without the cut off value in 2-3 days normal temps and little more than 24 hrs with high heat
Sponsored

Reactions: r-d

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The coolers have an auto off feature when the voltage drops to a certain level. The jeep does not have the auto power off, believe me it they can kill your battery without the cut off value in 2-3 days normal temps and little more than 24 hrs with high heat
I'd be a bit surprised if the Jeep itself doesn't have battery run down protection, especially with all the tech wizardry in it. BUT, I won't be the one to test that out! Lol!

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
This is a very informative thread!

I'm curious as to how much food one of these can reasonably carry. Max capacity would be determined for 2-3 day camping trip with wife and 2 kids. I realize that capacity depends on size so I'm guessing between a 37 and 50 would be best for me, but honestly, I have no idea or experience with these.

I would also likely use this about 5 times a year for camping but likely use most weekends for travel baseball and soccer for drinks and snacks.

Thank you.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
This is a very informative thread!

I'm curious as to how much food one of these can reasonably carry. Max capacity would be determined for 2-3 day camping trip with wife and 2 kids. I realize that capacity depends on size so I'm guessing between a 37 and 50 would be best for me, but honestly, I have no idea or experience with these.

I would also likely use this about 5 times a year for camping but likely use most weekends for travel baseball and soccer for drinks and snacks.

Thank you.
2 people and kids? Get at least the 50 for 2-3 days. Especially if you plan to put some drinks in it as well.

I was loading drinks and bbq stuff into my 50 and quickly realized I was glad I went with the 50 not the 37. I did put a lot of drinks in it though..lol.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, too, it doesn't line up with the capacity of a traditional cooler, because you don't need ice. You also don't have to pack as carefully because there is no worry of water penetrating your food packages. As for drinks, you can get by with a smaller size by replacing drinks with a warm one whenever you grab one.

Based on my experience with a 35L, a 50 would probably be best for 3 days with 4 people. That said, I think I could get by with that crew with my 35L if packing carefully. Not everyting you eat has to be refrigerated, so I'd use it for eggs, lunch meat, some fruits/veggies, drinks, milk. It is surprising how much you can get in there and how much it can do, especially if you are rotating drinks to save capacity for other things.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I'd be a bit surprised if the Jeep itself doesn't have battery run down protection, especially with all the tech wizardry in it. BUT, I won't be the one to test that out! Lol!

It does not. At least the 2.0/8speed doesn’t. I have accidentally left mine in D twice now. It shuts off, but stays on ACC indefinitely.

Dead as a stone in the morning.

Idiotic. Both me and the programmer.

It turns off the dome lights every 5 minutes when I’m trying to cook at night, but stays on ACC forever if I leave it in Drive.

One more reason I pack the generator. The ultimate dumbass mistake eraser.

I come from a lifetime of manual transmissions, and haven’t fully ingrained the “put in Park” thing yet.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
I'm loving the "ultimate dumbass mistake eraser"

That's great.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I can say for sure my battery died when had the arb set to low in 115 deg sun for more than a day.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Just got back from trip. Weather was 75 high maybe 40-45 low.

Fridge ran for about 25 hours without starting the Jeep. Set at 31 degrees. Opened constantly for drinks and for dinner/ breakfast items.

I did not use the stock 12v plug. I wired in the ARB wiring kit with the 8 gauge wire.

Fridge went from 12.6v to 12.2v when I started it up. That’s not bad at all.

I might buy the Jackery 290 that’s a 21ah lithium. That’ll run it for about 24 hours for sure. Then if I need more I’d just connect to the Jeep.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
I did not use the stock 12v plug. I wired in the ARB wiring kit with the 8 gauge wire.
I did not exactly follow this comment. Doesn't this still use the battery, and when the jeep is not running it is a drain on the battery? I am wondering how to run a fridge and not drain the battery when the jeep is not running.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I did not exactly follow this comment. Doesn't this still use the battery, and when the jeep is not running it is a drain on the battery? I am wondering how to run a fridge and not drain the battery when the jeep is not running.
Yes it is still draining the main battery.

It is simply a thicker gauge wire that is wired directly to the battery and then to the fridge, mainly to prevent power loss and unnecessary running time of the compressor. I cant say how much loss of efficiency there actually is using the stock Jeep 12v wiring from the factory but I just did it to make sure I am getting the best results. Also, the plug in the rear takes up a bunch of cargo space because it sticks out so far when the plug is is.

If you want to run the fridge without using the main battery there are a lot of options. Dual battery kit, single AGM deep cycle, or one of those portable power packs like goal zero or Jacekry.

I actually just bought the Jackery 290 lithium battery pack. It is only 20.3ah but if my math is right I should be able to run the fridge off of it for about 24 hours, depending on conditions. I think I will also buy their 60watt solar panel that is foldable and that should be more than enough to run the fridge for my needs (which is generally around 2 nights max camping in one spot). You can charge the Jackery via 12v or solar or 120v. All while powering whatever you want. Fridge, computer etc.

Ill report back after my trip this weekend.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
I actually just bought the Jackery 290 lithium battery pack.
With my setup, and while driving across states, I assume the battery pack is plugged into the JLUR rear jack to charge it, and he fridge is plugged into the battery pack. When the JLUR is off, the battery pack keeps the fridge going.

While tent camping, the solar thing would be used to charge, and when hotel camping electricity would charge it.

That pack is less than half the price of the other one I saw on this site, it was the "LITHIUM444 POWER PACK BY FLEXOPOWER". I dont know much about comparing them, looks like 40ah to 20ah, but I dont see where I would need more at this time.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
With my setup, and while driving across states, I assume the battery pack is plugged into the JLUR rear jack to charge it, and he fridge is plugged into the battery pack. When the JLUR is off, the battery pack keeps the fridge going.

While tent camping, the solar thing would be used to charge, and when hotel camping electricity would charge it.

That pack is less than half the price of the other one I saw on this site, it was the "LITHIUM444 POWER PACK BY FLEXOPOWER". I dont know much about comparing them, looks like 40ah to 20ah, but I dont see where I would need more at this time.
I will probably just have the fridge plugged into the Jeep while driving and the battery pack plugged into the Jeep as well. Then switch the fridge to the pack when stopped.

I found some guys over on overlandbound froum talking about all sorts of problems with their lithium444. Not charging from the 12v car source, not providing anywhere near 40ah of battery power and the meter is 4 blinking lights to let you know how much battery you have left.

A lot of money for something with no screen and poor reviews. So thats why I went with the jackery.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I’m 6 days into a wheeling/camping trip in the Colorado high country, with my new ARB fridge.

It’s working like a champ.

I’m unplugging it every night when I bed down, for a few reasons:

1.My sleeping bag could block cooling vents as I toss during the night.

2. It eliminates all concern regarding “will Jeep start in the morning?”.

3. The compressor starting in the night wakes me up. I’m a light sleeper, especially in the backcountry.

Last night fridge temp was 25 degrees at 2100 when I unplugged.

It was 29 degrees at 0600.

9 hours. Up 4 degrees.

I’m coming to realize that a large part of the efficiency of these rascals is that they are so very well insulated.

I’m a very happy camper.

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I’m 6 days into a wheeling/camping trip in the Colorado high country, with my new ARB fridge.

It’s working like a champ.

I’m unplugging it every night when I bed down, for a few reasons:

1.My sleeping bag could block cooling vents as I toss during the night.

2. It eliminates all concern regarding “will Jeep start in the morning?”.

3. The compressor starting in the night wakes me up. I’m a light sleeper, especially in the backcountry.

Last night fridge temp was 25 degrees at 2100 when I unplugged.

It was 29 degrees at 0600.

9 hours. Down 4 degrees.

I’m coming to realize that a large part of the efficiency of these rascals is that they are so very well insulated.

I’m a very happy camper.
JOE, do you have a thermal bag around fridge?
Sponsored