Cargo security covers: Diabolical Slipstream vs. JL Backbone

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
Need something to provide minor security over rear cargo area. Trying to decide between Diabolical Slipstream and the JL Backbone.

Haven't seen either in person, but from watching install videos and reviews, the Slipstream has the advantage of easy folding up for access or larger storage needs and built-in tiedowns to carry stuff on top of the lid when needed. Also has the rear-seat locking access door, which seems handy. The BackBone looks more finished and may be less prone to rattles and squeaks from all those metal-on-metal pins and hinges on the Slipstream.

Any owners want to comment on their choice and if they looked at both options? Any other opinions welcomed...
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I think you hit on the primary differentiator between the two. There’s plenty of happy customers for both. I went with Diabolical specifically because I wanted the flexibility of the removable/foldable panels. Not sure if this is your first Jeep or not. If it is, honestly maybe hold off on getting either until you’ve had it for quite a while and know how you’re going to use it. I’m on my first Jeep and I went almost a year without a security cover and it was fine. Then when I finally did buy, I was pretty confident in my choice.

OP
OP
joshg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I think you hit on the primary differentiator between the two. There’s plenty of happy customers for both. I went with Diabolical specifically because I wanted the flexibility of the removable/foldable panels.
Are you getting the rattles from the lock pins that others have complained of? Have you pasti-dipped them to try to remedy it?
Not sure if this is your first Jeep or not. If it is, honestly maybe hold off on getting either until you’ve had it for quite a while and know how you’re going to use it. I’m on my first Jeep and I went almost a year without a security cover and it was fine. Then when I finally did buy, I was pretty confident in my choice.
Yep, awaiting delivery on Thursday of my first Wrangler. Probably good advice to wait a while... Thanks.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the backbone for a few months. Easy to install compared to the other. Easy to remove too for carrying larger items. You can't go wrong with either one.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I've had the backbone for a few months. Easy to install compared to the other. Easy to remove too for carrying larger items. You can't go wrong with either one.
Can you post a pic or two showing what it looks like installed? I’ve seen the slipstream but not backbone...

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I haven’t had any rattles yet so haven’t bothered with plastidip. The install was definitely not easy but hey what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. LOL

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for slipstream due to the flexibility. I have the option of getting a 6 inch raised cover if i wanted to convert to a fridge w/ slide. Also the tie downs help a lot for when i go offroading to safely secure my gear. I picked mine up used from someone on the forum and he already plastidipped the retainers. My retainers do not rattle but it was a pain to get it installed.

igB4Z24.jpg

Z8svjta.jpg

vEUedQC.jpg

joshrude

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Will this fit on a 2 door? I plan on removing my rear seats.

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Security Cover.jpg
Need something to provide minor security over rear cargo area. Trying to decide between Diabolical Slipstream and the JL Backbone.

Haven't seen either in person, but from watching install videos and reviews, the Slipstream has the advantage of easy folding up for access or larger storage needs and built-in tiedowns to carry stuff on top of the lid when needed. Also has the rear-seat locking access door, which seems handy. The BackBone looks more finished and may be less prone to rattles and squeaks from all those metal-on-metal pins and hinges on the Slipstream.

Any owners want to comment on their choice and if they looked at both options? Any other opinions welcomed...
I had a 2018 JL Sahara soft top and purchased the JL Backbone. A friend had bought the Slipstream and when you rode in his Jeep it rattled like crazy. The Backbone is thicker material, easy to install and remove and absolutely no noise. I am selling mine because I bought a 2019 JL Sahara with hard top and the Backbone wont fit. I want $300 for it and it's in excellent shape. Email me at [email protected] if interested.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Security Cover.jpg

I had a 2018 JL Sahara soft top and purchased the JL Backbone. A friend had bought the Slipstream and when you rode in his Jeep it rattled like crazy. The Backbone is thicker material, easy to install and remove and absolutely no noise. I am selling mine because I bought a 2019 JL Sahara with hard top and the Backbone wont fit. I want $300 for it and it's in excellent shape. Email me at [email protected] if interested.
So let me start by saying THANK YOU!

I appreciate you sharing these details!

Will this work with a soft top and hard top?

I just created my own custom rack and I see they are using the same mounts on the tub..

Thanks for your help..

TC

rack-rear.jpg

Sponsored

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So let me start by saying THANK YOU!

I appreciate you sharing these details!

Will this work with a soft top and hard top?

I just created my own custom rack and I see they are using the same mounts on the tub..

Thanks for your help..

TC

rack-rear.jpg
The Backbone site sells the separate security covers for the soft top versus the hard top. I think there may be minor differences that's why separate covers. Let me tell you, the Backbone is by far the best of the tops mainly due to it's thickness and the way it covers the entire back area. It looks more finished then the Slipstream and there are only three sections to install versus multiple pieces with others.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
The Backbone site sells the separate security covers for the soft top versus the hard top. I think there may be minor differences that's why separate covers. Let me tell you, the Backbone is by far the best of the tops mainly due to it's thickness and the way it covers the entire back area. It looks more finished then the Slipstream and there are only three sections to install versus multiple pieces with others.
I found this video to be helpful as well..
Sponsored