Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Have you considered replacing the drain plug with a hose fitting, a drain hose, and a cap on the drain hose that is easier to access when under the vehicle like most motorcycles use on their airboxes?
We did try using out drain kit with a butterfly valve however, we threw a CEL after the first time emptying it during testing. We believe a piece of carbon or other particulate caused very small air leak in the valve and the pressure sensor was sensitive enough to pick it up. For that reason, we decided the risk of adding a valve to the production kit was too high.

The Fumoto valve may work, but we also would recommend avoiding adding volume to the can—IE if you add a valve, add it to the 3/8th NPT port in the bottom of the can, don't add a barb to the bottom of the can and run a line to the valve. That also kind of defeats the purpose of the valve since you'd have to snake your arm around the intake to open it anyway. :(

That's the only pic I took that day, lol...

A1AEED71-5C9C-46F4-B250-E2AD3FDB321B.png
Posted pics - a couple times ;) - anything else I need to do?
Nice! Thank you! If you just PM me your order number or your shipping address, I'll get your swag bag sent out today or tomorrow!

@Minty JL @Turbo_punkn you guys should have received your bags yesterday!

Thanks again everybody,
-Steve

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Installed mine.

To add to the tips for install...

As mentioned earlier, the catch can is TIGHT, so loosen it before you install it. Install the bracket on it & you can use it as a lever to give you more torque & you can unscrew it by hand & not have to use a vise. The install is also easier if you install the catch can on the bracket first (tons of clearance).

Install took about 45 mins taking my time. Quality piece...we’ll see how much oil I catch in it by my next oil change (just had it changed at 5,000 miles).

964B3A09-7E6E-4507-A790-60BE7DE8061E.jpeg

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
@Mishimoto

Steve, I can confirm delivery of the swag bag. Thanks alot, the beanie was my favorite part!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
@Mishimoto

Steve, I can confirm delivery of the swag bag. Thanks alot, the beanie was my favorite part!
Awesome, glad you liked it! I figured the beanie would come in handy around there; I know the wind off the bay can be killer in the winter.

Installed mine.

To add to the tips for install...

As mentioned earlier, the catch can is TIGHT, so loosen it before you install it. Install the bracket on it & you can use it as a lever to give you more torque & you can unscrew it by hand & not have to use a vise. The install is also easier if you install the catch can on the bracket first (tons of clearance).

Install took about 45 mins taking my time. Quality piece...we’ll see how much oil I catch in it by my next oil change (just had it changed at 5,000 miles).
Thank you for sharing! Did you happen to notice if the large o-ring on the catch can lid had oil on it? They should be oiled during assembly to make opening them easier, but it seems like I might have to check on that.

Thanks again!
-Steve

Last edited:

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Awesome, glad you liked it! I figured the beanie would come in handy around there; I know the wind off the bay can be killer in the winter.

Thank you for sharing! Did you happen to notice if the large o-ring on the catch can lid had oil on it? They should be oiled during assembly to make opening them easier, but it seems like I might have to check on that.

Thanks again!
-Steve
I don't recall. They're definitely on there tight though. The bracket being installed made it pretty easy to open, but opening it without the bracket would be nearly impossible by hand.

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just happens to be sitting here in my desk. I can confirm they are indeed very tight and that mine did not have an oil on the O-Ring.
911DD85D-7DD9-4166-B32A-F36F12B186D4.jpeg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Mine just happens to be sitting here in my desk. I can confirm they are indeed very tight and that mine did not have an oil on the O-Ring.
Same here, very very tight.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I'm thinking about a Fumoto like valve on bottom of the oil can and a length of tubing off that vavle. That way for an oil change just put a container under the tube and flip the valve....

Will also be pressure sealed so not CIL and other fun.

I use a Femco valve for the oil pan but would be a pain to thread it on to bottom of the catch can every 1000 miles or so.

LOL, I suggested the EXACT same thing to Mishimoto in a private message last week. I use Fumoto on a bunch of my applications.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Interesting, thank you! I'll chat with the team and see if that's something we can change for future orders.

@Mishimoto jusy got the bag the other day. Thank you very much! Love the beanie too!
Awesome, glad you like it!

Thanks everybody,
-Steve

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I'm on the fence on this one. I'm familiar with GDI and carbon on the valves, but I'm a worrywart despite the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. I contacted my local Jeep dealer and they were cryptic about it, basically implying that "Hey, if something goes wrong with your engine and there's a catch-can on it, it probably won't be covered."

Am I being overly cautious about my warranty?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I'm on the fence on this one. I'm familiar with GDI and carbon on the valves, but I'm a worrywart despite the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. I contacted my local Jeep dealer and they were cryptic about it, basically implying that "Hey, if something goes wrong with your engine and there's a catch-can on it, it probably won't be covered."

Am I being overly cautious about my warranty?
It all depends on the dealership; but from what I've seen if a dealership denies a warranty claim due to a catch can, an email to corporate usually gets the issue resolved. In order for them to deny warranty due to a catch can, they'd have to prove that the catch can is the cause of the issue. A good dealership isn't going to give you a hard time, but there are some bad dealerships out there that will do anything to avoid warranty work. The good thing about a catch can is that it only takes a few minutes to remove, so if you need to go to the dealership for a warranty claim, you can return it to stock very easily.

Hope that helps,
-Steve

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
1E558F2C-47FD-43A5-B510-03A90426769D.jpeg
57AFBA85-9279-4A12-91E1-F22B7310048F.jpeg
CDB12210-1EFB-4931-A5EA-F025057F22C7.jpeg
E62FEA57-09EA-4A25-B5B7-3CD082A7FF1D.jpeg
A5253DAF-3E73-46FF-A04B-8AAF7537CF9C.jpeg
26114F16-7E37-4A05-8209-60E0A3B2D39A.jpeg
Got my kit installed today, glad I did I had a nice coating of oil all over the turbo inlet.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.