Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hey All,

Ive been researching this quite a bit and cant find any solid information into this.

I "should" be taking delivery of my Rubicon next month and the biggest thing i need asap is a hitch and wiring harness for the trailer plug as without it, it delays me using the car and selling my current car as i am using a camper trailer all winter season long down at the snow an obviously need the ability to tow it.

Now, i do know there will need to be some modifications to the rear bar to allow for the current available hitches which im fine to cut away at. The problem im having is the wiring harness.. There doesnt seem to be anything available from what i see in relation to get a flat 7 pin socket added to the car. Only the american 7 pin round and 4 pin connectors which run differently. I think there is a way to use a bunch of different adapters to get it to work, but that looks like a mess.

Does anyone have any other details on this from maybe even your dealerships as my dealership at this stage has no information on hitches and wiring harnesses for them.

cheers.
Sponsored

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Thanks Jaydee/Chad,

I took delivery of my JL Rubicon last month. I too have been researching tow hitches and wiring harnesses. Soooo disappointed FCA (Australia) has nothing available. My vehicle was delivered with the Electrical Package. Noting the Electrical Package in the States includes the Trailer Group, but no mention of that here in Australia.
Also noting the hitch in USA is rated approx 1500kgs, so that wont do if I want to match the Unlimited's tow capacity of 2495kgs. I contacted Hayman Reese a few weeks ago. They should have a heavy duty tow hitch available in a few weeks time. I think the setup bolts to the chassis rails rather than the cross member. Similar to JK setup. That will solve the hitch issue, but the wiring harness remains a mystery.
Not sure if the Mopar wiring will suit the RHD vehicles. We have separate stop and indicator circuits, which I believe is different to the USA setup. Has anyone had experience of this? Will need to consider, brake controller set up as well.

All the best.

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hey Rubi D,

Ive been looking into this heavily.. looking at placing an order tonight for a hitch from quadratec.

I also emailed Hayman Reese weeks ago but never heard back from them =/ Either way.. they make a universal ecu that taps into the brake lights and takes power from the battery. This is looking to be the best option as i can see it at this stage.

I think the rear bar will need to had a small cut out for the hitch and then i was going to place the rear plate on a flip up hinge that i can lift up when towing a trailer..

This is the option until i find something better or simply replace the entire bar.

The american Mopar trailer wiring just wont work for us unfortunately =(

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jaydee_S,

Thanks for the update on the Hayman Reese ECU. Here's hoping they do a Smart Click solution.

Agree with your solution for the rear bar. After market is proving difficult with reverse sensors. What is the tow rating on the Quadratec hitch?

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Latest word from Hayman Reese is that the heavy duty tow hitch is due for release mid-September at this stage. The towbar will come with a SmartClick wiring solution.

Invech

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl Rubicon
Will get my Rubicon next week, did some research for hitch, found on line in Mel, does anyone has experience with this product?

Rugged Ridge 2" Receiver Hitch for 18-19 Jeep Wrangler JL with Optional Wiring Kit

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will get my Rubicon next week, did some research for hitch, found on line in Mel, does anyone has experience with this product?

Rugged Ridge 2" Receiver Hitch for 18-19 Jeep Wrangler JL with Optional Wiring Kit
Hey Sean,
A couple of things to note. These hitches like the Mopar hitch are all rated at 3500lbs. That translates to approx 1500kgs. A JL Unlimited is rated to tow 2495kgs (approx 5500lbs). Basically, these hitches are OK for a two door, but the four door with greater towing capacity needs a heavier duty tow set up.

I mentioned the Hayman Reese option because it will match the vehicle rating. From what I can make out, I think the technical difference is in the way it attaches to the vehicle. The lighter hitches bolt to the rear cross member, whereas the heavy duty hitches attach to the chassis rails. See the JK setup on the Hayman Reese site as an example.

Really all depends on what you are wanting to tow.

I am going to hold out for the Hayman Reese heavy duty. The SmartClick wiring solution should also mean that the harness plugs into existing connectors. Will know more once it becomes available.

chkoh

First Name
Chin Hao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Is there an official 13-Pin Wiring harness for our Jeep JL Wrangler? I know it has been shown in other threads but I cant seem to find anyone retailing the 13 Pin Wiring harness at all!

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there an official 13-Pin Wiring harness for our Jeep JL Wrangler? I know it has been shown in other threads but I cant seem to find anyone retailing the 13 Pin Wiring harness at all!
The Hayman Reese setup is imminent. Expecting release this week. The wiring harness is meant to be packaged with the heavy duty tow hitch. Yet to see what the connector will look like.

I have seen the 13 pin wiring harness from the US, but their wiring is different, so I am much more interested in local content. I assume Singapore gets the same Euro version Wrangler we do?

Sponsored

chkoh

First Name
Chin Hao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
The Hayman Reese setup is imminent. Expecting release this week. The wiring harness is meant to be packaged with the heavy duty tow hitch. Yet to see what the connector will look like.

I have seen the 13 pin wiring harness from the US, but their wiring is different, so I am much more interested in local content. I assume Singapore gets the same Euro version Wrangler we do?
yes Singapore gets the same euro speced wrangler, with the ugly front bumpers and non-halo led headlights!

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I had Jeep Australia install the towing package on my 2 door JL. It is a 7 pin plug. I have not towed anything to date.

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I had Jeep Australia install the towing package on my 2 door JL. It is a 7 pin plug. I have not towed anything to date.
what tow package?

It was my understanding that the official jeep tow package wasnt available yet?

That also said, i was at the caravan and camping show at homebush in Sydney on Sunday, spoke to the guys at hayman Reese and they had no idea about their solution for the JL yet... Anyone have any more solid information about that?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
My order included the Jeep tow package
My Jeep was delivered on 24th July
My dealer called and the tow package was installed a month later.
The number plate had to be moved to accommodate the tow package. It is all Jeep stuff. No third party.

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
My order included the Jeep tow package
My Jeep was delivered on 24th July
My dealer called and the tow package was installed a month later.
The number plate had to be moved to accommodate the tow package. It is all Jeep stuff. No third party.
My jeep dealership was saying this didnt exist... Ordered the car start of Feb, Finally........ taking delivery today apparently and no tow package.. i'll ask them about it when i pick it up, but did you have any details on the tow package like part numbers or anything just in case my dealership says anything?

Also when did you place the order for your car?
Sponsored