Map Lights - Any good solutions?

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Hey guys. I'm loving my JLU, but one feature I've had on all of my previous cars that I don't have now are overhead map lights that I can easily reach to illuminate the front seats of the cabin when needed. The dome lights are nice, but they're a little too far back for what I'm thinking.

Has anyone found or come up with any good solutions to add some in (without having to hardwire anything)? I saw this at Extreme Terrain, and while I like the function, I don't love the overall aesthetic.

TIA!
Sponsored

richsteele

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 OB JLR
@Jeepmarkjl had a good solution. Haven't tried it myself but I had bookmarked the post to remember it later if I saw the need.

Picked up some LED clip lights since the lighting in JL is weak. Mounted on to each visor clip. Stowed position is up out of the way. Could also put them on the Air Vent. Swivels for specific area to illuminate. Doesn't rattle around or move. Found them at HomeDepot but you can them on Amazon too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackfire-Clamplight-Mini-LED-Flashlight-BBM890XHD/206610715

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 10.48.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 10.47.32 AM.png

Buttsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
There are so many “LED” battery powered self adhesive lights now a days I would venture to guess a local Hardware or Building Supply store will have something you can pickup? LED lights will go forever on 2 x AA Batteries and are cheap as all get out.

Good Luck.....

Sponsored

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Hey guys. I'm loving my JLU, but one feature I've had on all of my previous cars that I don't have now are overhead map lights that I can easily reach to illuminate the front seats of the cabin when needed. The dome lights are nice, but they're a little too far back for what I'm thinking.

Has anyone found or come up with any good solutions to add some in (without having to hardwire anything)? I saw this at Extreme Terrain, and while I like the function, I don't love the overall aesthetic.

TIA!
Holly Hell, that install video was funny..."...and a small drill bit...and now a larger one, that one was too small..."
sounds like one of my How-to videos, one take and no editing...
:giggle:

I think I'll work on some 12v powered LEDs in the plastic rollbar cover...but will be following this thread for ideas...

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've yet to see an clean install that doesn't involve cutting up the factory plastic and something beyond a stick on flashlight. I didn't buy a brand new Jeep just to stick on $1 LED lights or hack up my new interior.

vap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've yet to see an clean install that doesn't involve cutting up the factory plastic and something beyond a stick on flashlight. I didn't buy a brand new Jeep just to stick on $1 LED lights or hack up my new interior.
There's nothing wrong with cutting up the factory plastic in Jeep. Buying a new trim part from a dealer won't cost you a leg, should you ever decide to roll back to stock configuration.

Sponsored

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Been looking into this as well, not been happy with my findings so far here are a couple depending on if you want to wire or battery.

Wired Low Profile with switch

Quick easy rollbar mount using batteries

I'm more of the wired setup person, but need to do more research before I pull the trigger.
some decent options here, but I'd like to tap into some power (mirror, airbag lights, etc) and put a couple of little LEDs behind the plasic cover or perhaps behind the mirror itself and install some basic on/off switch. Amazing how dark the front of the jeep gets in the winter...
Sponsored