Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

When the minivan turns into an adventure buggy each weekend, it is good to have a way to talk to your fellow adventurers. Some guys like to rely on their cellphones, others use CB radios, while a few get the amateur radios. Regardless of your preference, if your group uses a form of communication that you do not have, you’re screwed.

What type of communication technology do y’all use or is more common in your area?

Follow-up question: what is your area?
Sponsored

Last edited:

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Located south of the DFW area we use CB's and couple of us have extra handheld CB's that can be handed out for those with no comms. Their are a couple of people that have ham radios but most don't seem interested in transitioning yet.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
@smarshall what do you use?

@Hibypass do you have any plans to switch to another form of communication?

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
@smarshall what do you use?

@Hibypass do you have any plans to switch to another form of communication?
I haven'y done any large organized groups so a few GMRS radios (and yes I have my license before anyone asks) have been adequate so far. I just recently got my Ham technician license so will probably be going that route when the time comes.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
My local club uses CB, so that's what I have installed. I've had my amateur radio license since I was 12, but nobody I know uses ham radio for running trails so I didn't bother to install a second radio for that. The kids find listening to the truckers a great form of entertainment, so I guess CB does have some other benefits.

Edit: Just noticed this was in the Texas forum, please pardon the unintended intrusion from this Northerner. :)

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The 4x4 club I ride with uses FRS radio for trail comms. I have a CB in my Jeep and a lot of Jeep events use that. I have a Ameture Radio License and have a little $20 Baofeng 2m/70cm HT in the Jeep, also, but not sure how much that's listened to now days. Cell works fine in most populated areas. If Ims solo and get into a real bind, I do have a Spot Satellite Messenger that I also use on Off Road Motorcycle trips.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I have a CB that I should install, but so far I have not seen the need for it like I did when I first started wheeling. It was pretty much the first step back in the 90's. But now I use the Bluetooth and call the person directly. It's integrated into the vehicle and everyone has a phone, while not everyone has a CB or GMRS. Located in College Station.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I use CB and GMRS but prefer GMRS by a wide margin for its range and clarity. The license is good for 10 years, requires no test, and family members are covered by it.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
I use a CB on the road and find it very useful on trips, Also carry a Baofeng hand held in case its needed (SHTF) ! Its important to be versatile with others running different radio setups.
Sponsored