XPEL self install?

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Looking for first hand insight on PPF self install for XPEL. I really want to protect my sides/doors from branch scratches on the trail. Figure that XPEL Ultimate is the best product for it. I've done window tint and seen several youtube installs. For a larger flat surface like a door this seems pretty manageable.

Any practical experience / advise would be appreciated?

Also looking for a source to buy at a decent rate. I know the film isn't cheap but most of the cost should be install labor. Not finding any prices that seem reasonable online.

Thanks!
Sponsored

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Looking for first hand insight on PPF self install for XPEL. I really want to protect my sides/doors from branch scratches on the trail. Figure that XPEL Ultimate is the best product for it. I've done window tint and seen several youtube installs. For a larger flat surface like a door this seems pretty manageable.

Any practical experience / advise would be appreciated?

Also looking for a source to buy at a decent rate. I know the film isn't cheap but most of the cost should be install labor. Not finding any prices that seem reasonable online.

Thanks!
Kevin,

Thank you for choosing XPEL. Our ULTIMATE PLUS film is by far the industries most advanced and durable film. As far as DIY Install, we highly recommend having a certified installer complete the work for you. It may be worth calling around to get quotes from the installers nearest you.

If you do decide to do a DIY Install. Our Pre-Cut kits are available for purchase on XPEL.com. You also may be able to purchase the kits from a local installer. While flat pieces are generally easier to do, there is important prep work in the beginning, and if you want wrapped edges you'll need to know how to do that properly so the film doesn't come up.

You can reach our support team at [email protected] or by calling 1-210-678-3700 for assistance.

Let us know if we can help. Good luck!

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
While I appreciate the response and even agree that it would be better to have an installer take care of it.... I've investigated pre-cuts and was surprised the quotes don't really save that much. I like/want the product and this is truly a budget conscious decision to take it on myself for the easy areas that will likely take the most abuse. I'm surprised more people haven't taken this on...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I had a full wrap done Hood, 4-Doors, 4 fenders, 4 fender flairs (I have painted flairs) everything except tailgate. Cost installed $1600. 3M has a 10 year warranty and on top of that they will pay up to $3500 to repaint if you get rock chip that penetrates the film. most of the shops here in the NW are 3M installers and server have recently switched from Xpel to 3M, When asked why they said Better finish, better warranty.

Before I decided I looked at a car that had both films installed 3M and Xpel the 3M had a better gloss finish, which is also reported by many online.

I would suggest you also look at 3M also it has a little better finish than Xpel (which has a slight orange peel). Also keep in mind the warranty is possibly compromised if you self install (the adhesion part of the warranty).

Here is the reflection off my door with the 3M the Gloss is better than stock

3M%201_zpsbm5zxbfz.jpg

OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had a full wrap done Hood, 4-Doors, 4 fenders, 4 fender flairs (I have painted flairs) everything except tailgate. Cost installed $1600. 3M has a 10 year warranty and on top of that they will pay up to $3500 to repaint if you get rock chip that penetrates the film. most of the shops here in the NW are 3M installers and server have recently switched from Xpel to 3M, When asked why they said Better finish, better warranty.

Before I decided I looked at a car that had both films installed 3M and Xpel the 3M had a better gloss finish, which is also reported by many online.

I would suggest you also look at 3M also it has a little better finish than Xpel (which has a slight orange peel). Also keep in mind the warranty is possibly compromised if you self install (the adhesion part of the warranty).

Here is the reflection off my door with the 3M the Gloss is better than stock

3M%201_zpsbm5zxbfz.jpg
Thanks for sharing! I've looked into 3m a bit. I think XPEL may be the better product for impact/scrapes but I certainly haven't tested it myself. My Punk'n Orange seems to hide imperfections pretty well so far. My former silver LJ never had PPF and was great for hiding dust and blemishes. I have a black sedan and only wish I had access to a product like your 3m finish back when I bought that. Black is sexy as hell when clean and shinny but shows scratches & dirt so quickly!

Again my focus here is self install. I more than understand the PPF install is an art form as much as function and will likely pay to have sections of the Jeep done that are beyond my skills. But I'm pretty sure I can tackle a removable door with some patience and the right tools. But never hurts to try and learn from others who have done the same.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
Arkewn

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
There is a seller online that sells the pre cut pieces what is unique about them is they have a insurance option meaning you can pay a slightly higher price (10%) upfront and if you screw it up they will send you a second piece at no additional cost. I almost went this route myself.
Nice! First time I've ever seen a self install insurance option. Oddly they don't seem to list/show Rubicon doors. Still, that's a solid alternative to Tintzoom.com which is similar with the pre-cuts and appears to specialize in XPEL.

I'm still struggling with the cost per foot and $500+ for the doors in raw material - but still is probably worth it. More R&D required!

Appreciated!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Doors should be the same. The only difference between Sport/Sahara and Rubicon is Hood and front fenders the rest is the same. Frankly the reason I abandoned the DIY is because the material cost )retail) was as much as it was to have it installed with full warranty and accountability. If you self install and it lifts in say 1-5 years there is NO warranty coverage. The warranty for these PPF's is very comprehensive for 10 years, when you DIY you forfit much of that. Like I mentioned 3M covers up to $3500 for rock chips/damage that may penetrate the film but that only applies to professionally installed PPF. If my film lifts or separated over the 10 years they will replace it. There is value with the pro installed warranty.

While the doors may seem easy since they are flat there is actually a level of difficulty involved in the wrapping of the edges.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
1500 miles and my xpel is done for. No warranty "it did it's job". I'm going to try the 3M.
Sponsored