So I used the Taser JL...

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Hey guys, so I got a Tazer JL Lite. I have 35's now so I set it to 35.05. I did read on here that you are supposed to measure the tire but I was told with the JL you do not have to do that you just set it to what is written on the sidewall. I have a true 35... Anyway, so after I set it the Speedo is now 1mph off. Better than the 6mph before at high speeds. Now to my question. The Jeep feels a lot more sluggish now. Not sure if it's in my head or some type of placebo affect. I tried not to look at the Speedo and just focus on throttle response and feeling. I felt like I have to accelerate a little harder to get up to speed. Anyone else have this impression? Did I do something wrong? I got a Sport S btw.
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
With a 3.45 ratio and 35ā€ tires, I have to think that the sluggishness that you are noticing is real.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
The 35's would make your Jeep more sluggish... Now that you are reading the correct speed your mind is noticing/processing it more?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just have one question: Why does everyone in FL have the same style low profile-ish tires? Why is everyone in FL copying each other?

Why did I ask two questions when I said I only had one?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, so I got a Tazer JL Lite. I have 35's now so I set it to 35.05. I did read on here that you are supposed to measure the tire but I was told with the JL you do not have to do that you just set it to what is written on the sidewall. I have a true 35... Anyway, so after I set it the Speedo is now 1mph off. Better than the 6mph before at high speeds. Now to my question. The Jeep feels a lot more sluggish now. Not sure if it's in my head or some type of placebo affect. I tried not to look at the Speedo and just focus on throttle response and feeling. I felt like I have to accelerate a little harder to get up to speed. Anyone else have this impression? Did I do something wrong? I got a Sport S btw.
Are you saying that it feels sluggish after you calibrated the speedometer, or after you put on the 35s ? Calibrating the speedometer would not effect performance.

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I havenā€™t played with the gear ratio config but maybe that is something I should look into?

V6 Motor

Yea, I tried not to look at the speedo to eliminate the placebo affect. Not sure if itā€™s my mind playing tricks on me.

LOL, well since we (MIAMI) donā€™t have any real trails down here most Jeepers prefer wheel/tire combo for looks ie bigger wheels and lower profile. If I lived in Utah Iā€™d go smaller wheels, and lift. Speaking for others that have a similar setup to mine. But I agree you will see a wide variety of looks and styles in FL.

After I calibrated the tire size. Obviously I did notice sluggish after the 35s but I got used to that. Iā€™m saying additional sluggish after the speedo config. But maybe itā€™s me...

Speedo reading 1mph faster. Before it was 6mph faster.

Reason I say true 35 is because I have 35x12.50R20LT not an in between measurement but maybe you know more than me here.

Yea I see a huge debate on if it does affect throttle response , shift points , mpg. It almost seems like people are 50/50. I know the transmission ā€œlearnsā€ so did not know if it learned after the speedo change. But could very well be in my head.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The sluggish feeling is in your head. It does not affect shift points or throttle response. Adjust the tire size as necessary to make is as accurate as possible, regardless of actual tire size.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

dont mess with the gear ratio on the tazer. only if you change the gears. the jeep may feel more sluggish because you just did massive increase to the wheel's OD. do you have manual? i have the 8 speed and its not really very noticeable. of course i went from 285/70/17 to 315/70/17. not from 245 to 315. that's a big jump. so maybe that's why you're noticing it more

I just have one question: Why does everyone in FL have the same style low profile-ish tires? Why is everyone in FL copying each other?

that's three questions....

Sponsored

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automatic

I wonā€™t mess with the gear ratios, thanks.

and yes 3 questions lol

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

Damn you, @JLUin818 ā€¦ me too slow!

three.gif

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I havenā€™t played with the gear ratio config but maybe that is something I should look into?

V6 Motor

Yea, I tried not to look at the speedo to eliminate the placebo affect. Not sure if itā€™s my mind playing tricks on me.

LOL, well since we donā€™t have any trails down here most Jeepers prefer wheel/tire combo for looks ie bigger wheels and lower profile. If I lived in Utah Iā€™d go smaller wheels, and big lift.

After I calibrated the tire size. Obviously I did notice sluggish after the 35s but I got used to that. Iā€™m saying additional sluggish after the speedo config. But maybe itā€™s me...

Speedo reading 1mph faster. Before it was 6mph faster.

Reason I say true 35 is because I have 35x12.50R20LT not an in between measurement but maybe you know more than me here.

Yea I see a huge debate on if it does affect throttle response , shift points , mpg. It almost seems like people are 50/50. I know the transmission ā€œlearnsā€ so did not know if it learned after the speedo change. But could very well be in my head.

Thanks to all for your replies.
When you put larger tires on the speedo will read slower than you are actually traveling until you recalibrate. So I'll assume it was 6 below before and 1 under now. I would suggest measuring the tire then entering that number. See how it feels.

As for tire size, what is written on the sidewall isn't what the tire will measure under the weight of the jeep. Most 35s end up measuring 33-34".

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ll keep adjusting, Iā€™m close, only off by 1mph. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Sponsored