irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Stock front lca?
Im thinking about doing the rock krawler stock mod and fox shocks, similar to yours
Yes, LCA's are stock. I'll eventually swap them out for Synergy's, but don't feel the need currently.
Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
With the rear bumper and skids added - how much sag how you had with this Dynatrac lift?

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the rear bumper and skids added - how much sag how you had with this Dynatrac lift?
Skid and glide plate only added 35 lbs. The rear bumper actually was 5 lbs less than the stock plastic bumper. I just measured and it's 1.75" front and 2.25" rear. Keep in mind, on a JLU the lift will be a little less than this.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Love your build. I''m planning on going a similar direction on my 2 door sport. I was gonna go with 35's but looking at your jeep those 37's are calling to me but I'd need new flares for that. Might add a set of Rubicon flares. Thanks for posting 2 door lift heights on the Dynatrac kit verifies this is the lift I want to go with. Is there any noticeable axle offset? I was thinking I might want adjustable track bars but will hold off if tire stick out is about the same on both sides of your jeep.

Have you noticed any rub at full compression?

I also appreciate the feedback on the Teraflex carrier marking it off my list.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love your build. I''m planning on going a similar direction on my 2 door sport. I was gonna go with 35's but looking at your jeep those 37's are calling to me but I'd need new flares for that. Might add a set of Rubicon flares. Thanks for posting 2 door lift heights on the Dynatrac kit verifies this is the lift I want to go with. Is there any noticeable axle offset? I was thinking I might want adjustable track bars but will hold off if tire stick out is about the same on both sides of your jeep.

Have you noticed any rub at full compression?

I also appreciate the feedback on the Teraflex carrier marking it off my list.
Thanks Ed.

The axles are not noticeably off-center. I think I measured it after i installed the lift and it wasn't much to worry about. I want to say 1/8" but I'll re-measure this evening. If you go with the Dynatrac lift, you'll probably see more lift than me. The Rubicons start off a little higher than the Sports. 37's look amazing on a 2 Door, but I would caution you about just slapping them on a Sport. Not sure your axles can take it long-term and you'll probably need to re-gear as well. You may be aware of the expense already. Just throwing it out there. The Dynatrac lift is good for 35's on a Sport with stock flares. Might want to just start with that. I was wheeling this past weekend with @Hydroboy35th and he has 35" STT Pros on his 2 door and it looked awesome and was extremely capable on the trails.

Only rubbing i noticed was in the rear on the bottom of the plastic inner-liner. It's very minor and to be honest it probably hasn't been fully stuffed yet. So, it may rub more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, those 37’s look very good! I like your build, why wouldn’t I, we have similar build ideas going on. My JLR(white) has an aluminum RockHard front bumper,Smitty Bilt winch, GenRight rear bumper(alum),Rancho diff. guards(Blk LOL),LCA sliders(Blk). I pulled the rear seats and built my own raised platform and have an ARB twin (M.O.R.E. mount) and a C.B. kit from CoolTec.
But my build has stalled out. Still running stock suspension, wheels and tires to date. Haven’t found a lift kit yet, struggling to find one that’s just enough to clear 35’s. Also hunting for a aluminum belly pan(like Artec) and Alum. boat sided rocker guards(Like GenRight). I will be looking into converting to true coil over shocks or ORI struts in a couple months. I’ve run out of time for now and will be on a road trip starting next week. this trip I’m headed for Colorado and Wyoming, where I’ll be attending some 4x4 venues I’ve joined. Get out there and start enjoying you rig, summers daylight is burning. Maybe see you on the trail. Cheers! Hope you don’t mind my posting BTW.
Your setup looks pretty sweet. Honestly, with a 2 Door Rubicon you really don't need a lift with 35's. I wheeled with a guy at Windrock who ran 35's on the stock suspension and he had zero issues.

I'm looking to add sliders or a step and wanted to keep it aluminum to match the bumpers. Only ones in aluminum I've seen are the Genright's and I don't think they make a 2 door version. Plus I'm not keen on cutting up my flares to make them fit and drilling into the body for the rocker guards.

I here ya on just getting out there. I'm just about done with building for this season. just waiting on that damn rear tire carrier. I'll be out in CO in August. Back to Windrock in October. Some camping and local off-road park in between. Work has a tendency to get in the way of my playtime.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Your setup looks pretty sweet. Honestly, with a 2 Door Rubicon you really don't need a lift with 35's. I wheeled with a guy at Windrock who ran 35's on the stock suspension and he had zero issues.

I'm looking to add sliders or a step and wanted to keep it aluminum to match the bumpers. Only ones in aluminum I've seen are the Genright's and I don't think they make a 2 door version. Plus I'm not keen on cutting up my flares to make them fit and drilling into the body for the rocker guards.

I here ya on just getting out there. I'm just about done with building for this season. just waiting on that damn rear tire carrier. I'll be out in CO in August. Back to Windrock in October. Some camping and local off-road park in between. Work has a tendency to get in the way of my playtime.
Nemesis make their aluminum Billy Rockers for the 2 door ... not on the website, of course, but my understanding is that they have them.

This is the JK version for the 2 door, just to give an idea of what they look like.
https://www.nem-ind.com/products/jeep-wrangler-jk-accessories/rockers/jk-2-door-billy-rocker.html

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just called Nemesis. Salesman said no JL 2 dr., maybe in a few months. He also said when I asked about how much it will weigh. "It will be a significantly heavier with steel sub-structure with aluminum skin. Necessary because Jl's body tub has no strength like JK. Jl needs to be frame mounted in a different design." Good to know...
Ah, good info. Thank you.

Interesting about them not being ready yet … I read somewhere that their rockers were already available. That's what I get for believing the internet. I did post a question on the Nemesis website, but hadn't heard back to confirm what I read.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just called Nemesis. Salesman said no JL 2 dr., maybe in a few months. He also said when I asked about how much it will weigh. "It will be a significantly heavier with steel sub-structure with aluminum skin. Necessary because Jl's body tub has no strength like JK. Jl needs to be frame mounted in a different design." Good to know...
At least they are working on them. Most places treat the 2 Door like the plague.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I do like the nemesis rockers as seen on the Teraflex Slimer build, I am almost certain they won't work with the stock flares without trimming. I'm trying to avoid that. Just looks half-assed to me. I really like the stock Rubicon flares and have no desire to change them out ATM.

Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Ed.

The axles are not noticeably off-center. I think I measured it after i installed the lift and it wasn't much to worry about. I want to say 1/8" but I'll re-measure this evening. If you go with the Dynatrac lift, you'll probably see more lift than me. The Rubicons start off a little higher than the Sports. 37's look amazing on a 2 Door, but I would caution you about just slapping them on a Sport. Not sure your axles can take it long-term and you'll probably need to re-gear as well. You may be aware of the expense already. Just throwing it out there. The Dynatrac lift is good for 35's on a Sport with stock flares. Might want to just start with that. I was wheeling this past weekend with @Hydroboy35th and he has 35" STT Pros on his 2 door and it looked awesome and was extremely capable on the trails.

Only rubbing i noticed was in the rear on the bottom of the plastic inner-liner. It's very minor and to be honest it probably hasn't been fully stuffed yet. So, it may rub more.
Pro rock 44 front, 4.88's gears, and arb lockers on both ends are on my list already. I have the m220/Dana 44 limited slip rear. I figured that about the height on the sport mainly concerned about tire clearance.

1/8th inch will be hard to notice. Thanks for the feedback.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I do like the nemesis rockers as seen on the Teraflex Slimer build, I am almost certain they won't work with the stock flares without trimming. I'm trying to avoid that. Just looks half-assed to me. I really like the stock Rubicon flares and have no desire to change them out ATM.
Will be interesting to see what they come up with. I am not interested in changing out the Rubicon flares either. Nemesis makes nice stuff, if the Billy Rockers need to mount to the frame for rigidity, maybe that will put them low enough to retain the stock flares. I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, I will continue pestering certain companies to come out with stuff for the 2 door.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added a few items in preparation for my Colorado trip this week.

Finished off my light armor with the EVO rear shock skids (no pics) and the EVO exhaust loop skid. Shout out to EVO on helping me out with this. The first skid I received did not fit. They quickly sent me out a new one with almost no questions asked. The new one bolted right up.

IMG_3153.JPG

Added a Garvin roof rack. I needed it last week for a trip down to Gatlinburg, TN as I had passengers this time. Also needed it for the Colorado trip. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a temporary solution for me. I'll probably go with a more permanent rack next year. For now, this will have to do.
IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3158.JPG

Also added comms - Midland Micro Mobile GMRS MXT115 and a couple of GXT1000 walkies to go with it. We had a lot of fun with them on the trip down to Gatlinburg.
IMG_3143.JPG
IMG_3141.JPG

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can You Overland in a 2 Door?

Good question. Here is my opinion on the matter after returning from my Colorado Adventure.

I've been camping off and on for most of my life. I love it. But, I'm relatively new to wheeling. I love that just as much. The Youtubes told me I could combine the 2 and be an OVERLANDER!!! Sweet. Sign me up. What's not to love, right? Combining 2 of my favorite things couldn't have any negatives right? Wrong. Surprisingly, I didn't really care for what they call Overlanding. Maybe I just don't have the right lift kit for overlanding. That very well could be the case. Maybe it was the 2 Door size? I don't know. What I do know is this; the dynatrac lift, if it has a shortcoming, is handling added weight.

Obviously, I have superior organizational skills. ;) This is me all loaded up and ready to roll. Gear for days. All 500 lbs of it. I don't know if that is considered a lot of added weight or not. For my rig and the way it's setup... it's a lot.
IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

All that gear had me squatting pretty good. I only had about 2" off space between the bumpstop and the jounce bumper. Upon arrival to Colorado and driving on the dirt access roads to my AirBnB (plan was to stay 3 nights and overland the rest of the trip) I was bottoming the suspension out. I knew very quickly i may have to make some adjustments. After my stay, I loaded back up and headed to Ophir Pass. I camped at the trailhead and packed back up and headed out the next morning.

IMG_3753.JPG

It made it but I had to travel super slow. Still bottomed-out numerous times. After Ophir, I headed up to Alta Lakes. Same deal.

All-in-all it just wasn't fun for me. All that added weight, the bottoming-out, the slow travel, the camp kitchen rattling around, the water sloshing around... Maybe this Overlanding just isn't my style. The other thing was making camp in the evening and then having to pack it right back up in the morning is a total pain in the rear. I can see the appeal of the RTT, but that's just 150-200 lbs more weight added. I can't imagine that. I don't know how the TrailRecon's and the OvrlndX's of the world do it. I found it cumbersome.

Maybe I could lighten the gear load. I'm most certain I could. I didn't even touch half the gear I packed. I could maybe shave off 100-150 lbs. Not sure that would make that much of a difference. I could add spacers in the rear to help alleviate the bottoming-out problem. I could get a larger lift with stiffer springs. Or, I could just not overland per se. I'm leaning towards just wheeling or just camping. If I do combine the 2, I would probably just base camp and stage out of one location. The packing up in the morning just really sucks. I still love the Dynatrac lift. The ride is great both on and off-road. It's done everything I've asked of it so far. I'm pretty reluctant to change that out.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to hear your setup did not work out for you especially with as much effort as you have put into it. Sounds like your on the right track to solve your situation.

My wife and I loved camping but as we got older we hated breaking camp. We started base camping by setting up the tent for about a week in an area we wanted to explore and made day trips. That worked pretty well but I bought us a teardrop camper that allowed us to move daily if we wanted to with little effort. Although we typically still stayed in one spot for at least a few days. It also solved the issue we had with to much stuff in the vehicle. It's not overlanding per say but you gets almost the same results. You just miss out on staying overnight in those really rough remote spots. I've been down a few trails I would not want to pull the teardrop.
Sponsored