Sponsored

Diode Dynamics Video: How to Install 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Switchback Turn Signal LEDs

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
The inactive amber turn signal bulb on the Sahara would be lit up WHITE when not in use and AMBER when in use.
If it's single filament, they would only light up amber when the turn signal is activated. You wouldn't see the white portion, since it's a single-filament socket.

We are going to find one here in St. Louis to film videos with, etc etc

Thanks!
Nick c.
Sponsored

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
If it's single filament, they would only light up amber when the turn signal is activated. You wouldn't see the white portion, since it's a single-filament socket.

We are going to find one here in St. Louis to film videos with, etc etc

Thanks!
Nick c.
I just read the owners manual Nick. The amber is a 7440NA (single filament) the DRL is 7443.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I was referring to DD's FUTURE turn signal switchback bulbs :cwl:
I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get the bulb to stay white when not in use. Such as wiring it to the DRL and using the turn signal as some sort of relay to activate the amber

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I was referring to DD's FUTURE turn signal switchback bulbs :cwl:
I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get the bulb to stay white when not in use. Such as wiring it to the DRL and using the turn signal as some sort of relay to activate the amber
Our engineering team is always on exciting new products here in St. Louis. Still looking for a Sahara JL to bring into our studio here soon!

Thanks,
Nick C.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
So, trying to get this straight:

I ordered a Sport S. It does NOT have LEDs anywhere in the front, which means there’s no DRLs/ running lights that automatically on when driving. If I get the switchback LEDs for the fender flare lights would I then have white running lights w/ out having to turn the lights on?

Question regarding the resister: since my JLU will have rear LEDs, do I still need resistors for the switchbacks? With factory LEDs in the back wouldn’t there already be resistors installed? Or are they location specific (I.e. rear left, rear right, etc)?

Finally, any members have them yet? Thoughts?

Sponsored

LailaiJl

First Name
Laina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Jl Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Question on the resister, plug and play or wiring needed? I'm hoping it's plug and play.

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

I ordered a Sport S. It does NOT have LEDs anywhere in the front, which means there’s no DRLs/ running lights that automatically on when driving. If I get the switchback LEDs for the fender flare lights would I then have white running lights w/ out having to turn the lights on?

Question regarding the resister: since my JLU will have rear LEDs, do I still need resistors for the switchbacks? With factory LEDs in the back wouldn’t there already be resistors installed? Or are they location specific (I.e. rear left, rear right, etc)?

My assumption only would be that the front and rear are two different circuits. Therefore you would need a resistor on the front circuit to stop "hyperflash" on the inside.

Cledus601

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Question on the resister, plug and play or wiring needed? I'm hoping it's plug and play.[/QUOTE=

It has a splice clip on it that you wrap one end around one wire and one end around the other. When you clip it, it splices into the wire. Fairly simple noncomplex design.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler

If you have a Sport S model without the LED package and it has one incandescent turn signal, this switchback kit is what you are looking for. Our HP24 switchback bulbs have a white running light and flash amber when the turn signal is activated. They will turn on in the same manner as the OEM incandescent bulbs.

The JL Wrangler we had in the studio did not hyperflash on the exterior of the vehicle with LEDs installed, but you will need to add resistors to prevent the bulb out warning on the dash. You will only need one set if you are only doing the front of your JL.

The resistors are very simple to install, here's a video demonstrating that process:

Thank you!
Nick C.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I’m getting a Sport with incandescent turn bulbs front and rear. I don’t like the idea of having to install resistors. Can the hyperflash problem be solved by replacing the flasher?
The JL Wrangler doesn't use a flasher module. It's digitally controlled through the BCM. Resistors are the only solution for this application.

Thanks!
Nick C.

Sponsored

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think you're going to offer a full kit for Sport models, including headlights, fog lights and signals?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Do you think you're going to offer a full kit for Sport models, including headlights, fog lights and signals?
Eventually we will have replacements available for every location. They are typically listed by application vs. a full kit. We do it this way so you can pick and choose your brightness options for each location.

Thanks!
Nick C.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
Anyone install the switchback in their Sport S? Any photos of standard head and dogs w/ switchbacks on?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone install the switchback in their Sport S? Any photos of standard head and dogs w/ switchbacks on?
We will be adding customer submitted photos as they continue being sent in. Thanks!

Nick C.
Sponsored