Tire/backup camera dilemma

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The ParkSense system does not use the camera for detecting anything. They are completely separate. If your rear-mounted spare is causing issues with the sensors, you should probably mount your tire higher. The two center sensors (image below) must "see" the bottom of the the tire and get confused. There are four sensors mounted on the rear bumper that use ultrasonic pulses to judge distance.

@Slaughter, have you resolved this at all?

IMG_1545.JPG
Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
The ParkSense system does not use the camera for detecting anything. They are completely separate. If your rear-mounted spare is causing issues with the sensors, you should probably mount your tire higher. The two center sensors (image below) must "see" the bottom of the the tire and get confused. There are four sensors mounted on the rear bumper that use ultrasonic pulses to judge distance.

IMG_1545.JPG
WOW! I feel stupid. THANKS SO MUCH! So what we really have is 2 issues. 1. The 35" tire is not allowing the sensor to work auto disabling and 2. The 35" tire/wheel is covering a good amount of the backup camera.

Wish their was a 1 stop shop solution but to fix the sensor issue I assume either Mopar Oversize Spare Tire Carrier Mounting Bracket ($275) or aftermarket DV8 Off-Road Tailgate Mounted Tire Carrier ($224) should fix the issue. The keyword is should* now we also have the Rough Country spare tire relocation bracket for ($80). This uses the stock tire bracket system. Does anyone here have any confirmed solutions to regain the functionality of the sensors? Also what would be better, the oversize carrier or just the relocation bracket.

As far as the camera I've been thinking of maybe taking it apart and trying to find longer screws to push out the camera out some like someone mentioned here. The license plate relocation is a bit of an extreme mod and I want to keep my stock rear bumper. Wish aftermarket had something for this or maybe even a decent temp mod solution.

Thanks again and now I need to see what I'm going to do because at the very least I'd like to fix my sensor issue first and then work on the camera. Better yet is a 1 stop shop solution...

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IMG_1545.JPG
Ok so after some research I have a little more info. The Rough Country relocation will relocate the tire but does nothing to reinforce and prevent issues with he tailgate as a result of all the added weight. It is still up in the air if a 35" will hurt the tailgate with no reinforcement. I saw a video that the JL tailgate is much thicker and stronger than the JK tailgate but it's still rated at much less than what a 35" with aftermarket wheel causes. Time will tell I assume. The Mopar Oversize is dependent on the Mopar Reinforcement which together is $900+ which I think is crazy expensive. The DV8 does both at a fraction of the price. I wish more reviews were out to see if this is a solid budget route. Needless to say this is all just to clear the sensors and reinforce. The camera issue is still present unfortunately. Again wish we had a 3 for 1 solution. Also a good question is how does the DV8 handle an extreme offset like the one I have...

https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-offroad-tailgatemounted-tire-carrier-2018-jl.html

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI I did the rough country relocation and sensors work just fine. I mentioned this on another thread order directly from them because first batch did not clear sensors but the last batch works.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so after some research I have a little more info. The Rough Country relocation will relocate the tire but does nothing to reinforce and prevent issues with he tailgate as a result of all the added weight. It is still up in the air if a 35" will hurt the tailgate with no reinforcement. I saw a video that the JL tailgate is much thicker and stronger than the JK tailgate but it's still rated at much less than what a 35" with aftermarket wheel causes. Time will tell I assume. The Mopar Oversize is dependent on the Mopar Reinforcement which together is $900+ which I think is crazy expensive. The DV8 does both at a fraction of the price. I wish more reviews were out to see if this is a solid budget route. Needless to say this is all just to clear the sensors and reinforce. The camera issue is still present unfortunately. Again wish we had a 3 for 1 solution. Also a good question is how does the DV8 handle an extreme offset like the one I have...

https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-offroad-tailgatemounted-tire-carrier-2018-jl.html
So, just to be clear, does the Mopar Oversize and Reinforcement solve the issue with the camera and sensors?

Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, just to be clear, does the Mopar Oversize and Reinforcement solve the issue with the camera and sensors?
Apologize for the late response. Nothing at this current time fixed the issue with the camera. Now as far as the sensors keep in mind the oversized tire carrier is one part and the reinforcement is another part. As far as the oversized tire carrier could possibly fix the sensor issue but the rough country is a fraction of the price and resolves the issue just fine. The reinforcement only does what it says it does, reinforce the tailgate, has nothing to do with sensors. Hope this helped.

heidiferring

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Zo6
Apologize for the late response. Nothing at this current time fixed the issue with the camera. Now as far as the sensors keep in mind the oversized tire carrier is one part and the reinforcement is another part. As far as the oversized tire carrier could possibly fix the sensor issue but the rough country is a fraction of the price and resolves the issue just fine. The reinforcement only does what it says it does, reinforce the tailgate, has nothing to do with sensors. Hope this helped.
I have the mopar oversized tire carrier with 37 tires. It didn't fix my sensor problem

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the mopar oversized tire carrier with 37 tires. It didn't fix my sensor problem
I have the Rough Country and it almost fixed it. I get a ghost beep every now and again.

Sponsored

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the Mopar reinforced tier carrier with 35" BF Goodrich tires. The rear park sensor has been false alarming consistenly since I put the bigger tires on.

Yesterday my son and I investigated and devised the following cheap fix.

We removed the tire and tried rotating it several times (as other threads had mentioned this as a possible fix), but it didn't work for me.

So after further investigation we found that tilting the tire up eliminated the problem.

We installed washers on the bottom lug bolt (wnough to make about a 1"inch thich gap.

Then reinstalled the spare tire and vuala, problem is resolved and we dont get any false beeps anymore.

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
We installed washers on the bottom lug bolt (wnough to make about a 1"inch thich gap.

Then reinstalled the spare tire and vuala, problem is resolved and we dont get any false beeps anymore.

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG
Interesting. Let me know how it holds up over the coming weeks.

I had no issues with back up sensor until the Jeep dealer rotated the tires. I was going to call the shop that put the 35's on and ask. Now I see why. It may be that they put a slight spacer on the bottom and when they dealer rotated, they didn't replace.

JAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
I looked at so many posts to fix the backup camera/backup sensor issue with the larger tires and wanted to add to this one with my fix. After I added 20" wheels and 35" tires to my 2020 Wrangler JLU, I had the constant backup sensor beeping when in reverse. After adding the TeraFlex JL Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit, the sensor noise is gone when in reverse. The spare tire is mounted on the third mounting position at the top(vertical adjustment). The tire carrier is completely adjustable horizontally as well allowing it to be mounted close to the vehicle and use the original tire bumpers that are already there. As recommended for this size tire, a tailgate reinforcement panel was added as well and I used the Red Rock 4X4 HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel. The TeraFlex Mount has a relocation for the third break light bringing it out of the line of sight in the rear view. The tire sits at a good place to see well out of the rear view mirror. The only issue that we still have is the small amount of the spare tire in the rear view camera. I would love to have that fixed but it's a small price to pay for the new larger tires which were non negotiable! See the photos attached for tire spacing, bracket, and rear view camera.

Jeep Rear Camera View.jpg

Jeep Spare Tire and Tailgate Reinforcement Side View.jpg

Jeep Spare Tire Side View.jpg

Jeep Spare Tire.jpg

Jeep Tailgate Reinforcement Panel.jpg

Jeep Teraflex Tire Carrier.jpg

Revjonesy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sahara
Hey sorry for the delay. He was on vacation.

He jerry rigged it with a spacer he had from misc. parts from his XJ. Nothing to write home about. Not a long term solution, and I have to say - doesn’t work 100% of the time. I would probably invest in the quadratec replacement just to have it permanently go away.
Can you post a link for the quadratec part

reddog187

First Name
erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Dark Gray
The Rough Country Relocation Plate resolved the problem. Camera and park sensors are working properly.
Sponsored