Sponsored

FCA - you have a liability issue with the LED indicator lights!

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I ordered Mopar kit 82215743AC from my local Jeep dealer and had them install the kit on my 2018 Wranger JLU with manual transmission. (Notice the closed loop here.. purchased a manufacturer supplied kit, supported for my vehicle, using factory trained technicians at a factory authorized facility)
From the first trip home, the front LED indicators failed. I am able to make them work again by setting the front fender LEDs to Yes using my Tazer JL. The dealer does not have a code, or any method to do this. The issue comes when I take my Jeep in for service. The dealer is troubleshooting an issue with installing the LED headlight kit on my jeep. As part of that process, they are updating computer settings. When they do this, the setting for the front LED indicators reverts back to "No" Basically, my LED front indicators get in to, and remain in a failed state until I get around to updating the configuration with the Tazer JL.

In case the problem is not clear, to the folks at FCA that read this forum, how do you think this is going to look if I get into an accident and the issue with these front indicator lights comes up!?

I reached out to Jeep Cares.. they told me to talk to my dealer. My dealer isn't getting far with FCA. Reading the forums here, other dealers are not getting far with FCA either.

This is really dumb. FCA must fix this. It makes ZERO sense that a third party device, an unsupported hack, can fix a settings issue and the dealer cannot.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I ordered Mopar kit 82215743AC from my local Jeep dealer and had them install the kit on my 2018 Wranger JLU with manual transmission. (Notice the closed loop here.. purchased a manufacturer supplied kit, supported for my vehicle, using factory trained technicians at a factory authorized facility)
From the first trip home, the front LED indicators failed. I am able to make them work again by setting the front fender LEDs to Yes using my Tazer JL. The dealer does not have a code, or any method to do this. The issue comes when I take my Jeep in for service. The dealer is troubleshooting an issue with installing the LED headlight kit on my jeep. As part of that process, they are updating computer settings. When they do this, the setting for the front LED indicators reverts back to "No" Basically, my LED front indicators get in to, and remain in a failed state until I get around to updating the configuration with the Tazer JL.

In case the problem is not clear, to the folks at FCA that read this forum, how do you think this is going to look if I get into an accident and the issue with these front indicator lights comes up!?

I reached out to Jeep Cares.. they told me to talk to my dealer. My dealer isn't getting far with FCA. Reading the forums here, other dealers are not getting far with FCA either.

This is really dumb. FCA must fix this. It makes ZERO sense that a third party device, an unsupported hack, can fix a settings issue and the dealer cannot.
You mentioned the dealer also installed mopar LED headlights so I take it your JLU did not have the LED option from the factory.

I did notice when reading the description for part #82215743AC, it specifically states only to be used on vehicles with Factory LED option. Obviously there is some reprogramming that needs to be done in order to run LEDs vs Halogen lamps.

I would say if the dealer has upgraded your headlights to LED then they should know how to program the vehicle properly for LEDs for the entire vehicle.

If you hadnā€™t mentioned the LED headlight upgrade by your dealer, then I would favor FCA in this matter and simply defend Moparā€™s statement that LED fenders are not intended for use with Halogen vehicles. In that case, your dealer should have not installed the LED fenders.

You can probably get some better advice in the Lighting forum. I believe a LED sales code has to be programmed in the body module. Some talk about this when trying to get Mopar LED Halos to work on non-LED vehicles.

Hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I did notice when reading the description for part #82215743AC, it specifically states only to be used on vehicles with Factory LED option. Obviously there is some reprogramming that needs to be done in order to run LEDs vs Halogen lamps.
Do you have a link to a source where you found this? There was nothing listing this restriction when my dealer ordered the part. I also don't see any restrictions on mopar.com, nor in the instructions that come in the kit. The Jeep Performance Parts Catalog just says "2018 2 door or 4 door JL". In fact, this third party site says it "fit all 2018-2019 two door Jeep JL Wranglers"

I do see the restrictions you mention listed on a third party site, moparonlineperformance.com. I would like to get a link from something official from FCA.

It is still odd that I can make it all work with a third party device, but the dealer can't enable it using FCA provided methods and tooling.

The setting for the front indicator LEDs is a different one than the one for the LED headlamps. The headlamp kit instructions include instructions for setting the head lamp LEDs in the computer. The fender instructions include no direction on computer settings at all.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Do you have a link to a source where you found this? There was nothing listing this restriction when my dealer ordered the part. I also don't see any restrictions on mopar.com, nor in the instructions that come in the kit. The Jeep Performance Parts Catalog just says "2018 2 door or 4 door JL". In fact, this third party site says it "fit all 2018-2019 two door Jeep JL Wranglers"

I do see the restrictions you mention listed on a third party site, moparonlineperformance.com. I would like to get a link from something official from FCA.

It is still odd that I can make it all work with a third party device, but the dealer can't enable it using FCA provided methods and tooling.

The setting for the front indicator LEDs is a different one than the one for the LED headlamps. The headlamp kit instructions include instructions for setting the head lamp LEDs in the computer. The fender instructions include no direction on computer settings at all.
I just looked at one of the first hits after doing a google search of the part number you listed. I didnā€™t do an exhaustive search.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215743ac-fs.html

Which model do you have? Sport, Sport S, Sahara?

The Sport does not include daytime running lights on the fenders. Could that be part of the problem?

Also, was the dealer able to get the Halo working on your Mopar headlights?

See this thread starting at post #215. These members can probably help you.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-led-factory-upgrade-kit.31897/page-15

Last edited:
OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I just looked at one of the first hits after doing a google search of the part number you listed. I didnā€™t do an exhaustive search.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215743ac-fs.html

Which model do you have? Sport, Sport S, Sahara?

The Sport does not include daytime running lights on the fenders. Could that be part of the problem?

Also, was the dealer able to get the Halo working on your Mopar headlights?

See this thread starting at post #215. These members can probably help you.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-led-factory-upgrade-kit.31897/page-15
First, thank you for taking the time to respond! I really do appreciate it. This forum has been great for information.

I do have some active threads going on in the lighting forum.

I have kept this as closed loop as I can, to limit the potential for finger pointing. Mopar accessory kits, ordered by the dealer, installed by the dealer.

I have been sharing the information that I have been finding with the dealer service manager. There are obvious reasons why the service manager cannot use third party tools, or take info directly from the internet. For example, may be a bit hard to explain in FCA on a warranty claim. My hope is that they would use the info to help guide FCA to drive a solution.

At some point, I have to play the consumer part and say "Hey, this is all manufacturer stuff, installed by manufacturer trained reps.. I have paid my money. Make it work".

I do find it interesting that the dealer is working with FCA and is not getting the problems solved.

I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S.

These things are like lego though. There is no reason that they can out something on at the factory, and not be able to put it on at the dealer. Some of the installations are a bit convoluted. The dealer installed the tow package, which required a crazy amount of labor to modify the wiring harness.

The LED headlamp "kit" is complete, with detailed wiring harness modification instructions and programming information to update the compute and sales system.

I have been following the threads on the side lamp LEDs, and I have seen how the wiring harness may need a 12V wire added for the Sport. It is surprising that MOPAR put that in the head lamp kit, but not in the front indicator kit.

I will update the info on the lighting forum as I find out more.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It sounds like the software they use to update/flash the car is using the defaults for your VIN. Part of me wants to say "this is what happens when the people in charge 'don't do tech'", but I guess I can see that happening. The dealer and the people who made the software probably did so under the assumption/rule/policy that vehicle X will always and forever only have features A,B,C and no exceptions should be accommodated for.

Looking at it this way makes it truly absurd though: Imagine if you reupholstered your Jeep with green leather seats. Afterwards, you have a problem with your windshield wipers! So you bring it into the dealer, they fix it, and when you come to pick up the jeep it has black cloth seats again. "WTF?" You ask. The service advisor looks at you puzzled, scratches his head, and says "well, it came from the factory that way."

lol.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

This system where you have to update the computer on the vehicle when you make any changes seems unnecessarily complex. There are many companies out there that can design LED light systems that work on higher power circuits, with no issues, and no computer updates required. It is a thing! This system in the Jeep is cool in a lot of ways, and I can see some neat things that it can be used for.

The part that I don't get is why FCA puts artificial constraints in the way of getting this fixed. I can clearly demonstrate that as the thing exists, I can change a software setting and make it work. Why FCA won't give the dealer the same access makes zero sense.

Even dumber, their liability here is pretty much an open and shut case. You would think their legal department would be pushing a fix right away.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
This system where you have to update the computer on the vehicle when you make any changes seems unnecessarily complex. There are many companies out there that can design LED light systems that work on higher power circuits, with no issues, and no computer updates required. It is a thing! This system in the Jeep is cool in a lot of ways, and I can see some neat things that it can be used for.

The part that I don't get is why FCA puts artificial constraints in the way of getting this fixed. I can clearly demonstrate that as the thing exists, I can change a software setting and make it work. Why FCA won't give the dealer the same access makes zero sense.

Even dumber, their liability here is pretty much an open and shut case. You would think their legal department would be pushing a fix right away.
I understand your frustration. The takeaway with all this, as you mentioned in the first post, is that the dealer installed a Mopar part on your vehicle that does not work and they canā€™t get it to work. A front turn signal is required by Federal law. I agree with you thatā€™s itā€™s a huge liability for FCA and you would think they would have enough sense to get it sorted before they start releasing aftermarket parts for sale. This was a similar problem for the Mopar Headlights but Iā€™ve heard they updated the kit to include the proper wiring harness and now allow the dealers to program the proper sales code. Sounds like they need to do the same for the fenders.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

The good news is that I have documentation that Jeep knows about the issue, which is the first step to getting it solved. The dealer has a Star case number, which I have, and I now have a Jeep Wave Premium Care case number, which references the Star case number.

We shall see how long this takes to actually get resolved!

The funny thing, the dealer also installed the 82215136AD headlight kit. The LED headlights work. The halo components do not. This one is more of an issue with not all of the functionality is working. The irony with this one is there are plenty of "existence proofs" on this forum that show that these lights should work as advertised on my year, model, and version of Wrangler. I have participated in the forums here on that topic as well. There is a separate Star case on this one. I am sure this will get sorted out as well.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I heard back from @JeepCares. They called at 5:30AM Pacific time this morning, so that tells me their feedback system is oblivious to time zone differences.

Basically, here is the low down:
My purchasing a Mopar accessory kit from the dealer: doesn't matter.. this is no different than any other third party accessory kit, as far as Jeep is concerned. They see this as no different than purchasing a third part y accessory at Autozone (the guy actually said this!)

My having the dealer install this accessory kit: doesn't matter. As far as jeep is concerned, this is no different than having anyone else install the kit.

The kit doesn't work: Well, there are no guarantees that an accessory will work. The only guarantee that it will work is to have the option installed at the factory.

When I questioned if Mopar was part of FCA? No answer.
When I questioned if the part in the Mopar kit was identical to the factory kit, as this is advertised by Mopar? No answer
I offered for Jeep to purchaes the vehicle back, and I would order the Jeep with the accessories I wanted preinstalled. No answer.

Case closed....

Not a happy customer. This is about as closed loop as you can get, and Jeep/FCA does not stand behind it... @JeepCares, the right answer here is to support your product and make it work. The right answer is NOT to make the customer care about your organizations disorganization.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I heard back from @JeepCares. They called at 5:30AM Pacific time this morning, so that tells me their feedback system is oblivious to time zone differences.

My purchasing a Mopar accessory kit from the dealer: doesn't matter.. this is no different than any other third party accessory kit, as far as Jeep is concerned. They see this as no different than purchasing a third part y accessory at Autozone (the guy actually said this!)

My having the dealer install this accessory kit: doesn't matter. As far as jeep is concerned, this is no different than having anyone else install the kit.

The kit doesn't work: Well, there are no guarantees that an accessory will work. The only guarantee that it will work is to have the option installed at the factory.

When I questioned if the part in the Mopar kit was identical to the factory kit, as this is advertised by Mopar? No answer
I offered for Jeep to purchaes the vehicle back, and I would order the Jeep with the accessories I wanted preinstalled. No answer.

Case closed....

Not a happy customer. This is about as closed loop as you can get, and Jeep/FCA does not stand behind it... @JeepCares, the right answer here is to support your product and make it work. The right answer is NOT to make the customer care about your organizations disorganization.
Wow, thatā€™s some great customer service.

I guess your next step is to take it up with Mopar and your dealer.

Does Mopar sell the fenders with the halogen lights also? I guess this would be stock Rubi replacement parts.

I donā€™t understand how the dealer can install a mopar part that does not work and also violates federal regulations then simply wash their hands clean of any liability.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Wow, thatā€™s some great customer service.

I guess your next step is to take it up with Mopar and your dealer.

Does Mopar sell the fenders with the halogen lights also? I guess this would be stock Rubi replacement parts.

I donā€™t understand how the dealer can install a mopar part that does not work and also violates federal regulations then simply wash their hands clean of any liability.
I will file a case with Mopar. I am dumbfounded that I have to do this. A few interesting quotes from the Jeep Performance catalog...

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/performance-catalogs/JeepPerformancePartsCatalog.pdf

"Simply put, aftermarket companies just canā€™t compete with our rigorous testing processes. Weā€™re the same factory engineers that designed your vehicle in the first place and we have access to the full range of FCA US LLC state-ofthe-art design, engineering and testing resources." (page 5)

"BE ORIGINAL ā€” NOT A KNOCKOFF. Our engineers live by a pretty simple philosophy: Original Equipment Specs. Integrated Engineering. Robust Design. Rigorous Testing. Thatā€™s why authentic Jeep Ā® Performance Parts fit right, install easily and work like they should ā€” on Day One ā€” and for a long, long time afterwards. You see, when you drive to the ends of the earth and beyond, our reputation is on the line too and we take pride in providing the parts that will get you there ā€” AND back" (page 5)

"JeepĀ® Wrangler Fender Flares allow you to install larger wheels, larger tires and Lift Kits* on your vehicle without tire interference in the wheel well. Assembly creates a low center of gravity for on-road comfort and off-road capability. These high-top flares are the same as production RubiconĀ® with either LED or halogen daytime running lights. Kit includes four different flares, one designed for each wheel well. Fender Flares meet all FCA US LLC standards." (page 37)

Basically, Mopar boasts about how their kits are tested to work, and yet, this one does not...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Case closed....

Hi willcasp,
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I have reached out to engineering regarding this, and they informed me that because your JLU Sport does not have all the necessary electrical equipment installed from the factory, your vehicle is not equipped to support this.
Alex
Jeep Social Care Specialist

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Wow ! Talk about being "Left at the Altar"... not a good response for a vehicle that's supposed to be customized and modified. Now what ?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers are independent of manufacturers, so FCA is not responsible for what a dealer does or does not do. The fact that a dealer installed the part does not implicate FCA in any way for modifications a dealer installs (whether or not it's a genuine Mopar part or accessory).

It would be reasonable to think that a Jeep dealer installing Mopar parts would be a sure thing. But again, the dealer is the only one responsible for the modification, not FCA.

No way in hades will FCA buy back the vehicle because you didn't purchase it the way you wanted it. If the dealer made promises or commitments regarding what could be added your case would be with the dealer.

I understand your frustration but it doesn't work the way you think it should. Not saying it's right (I've run into fighting with dealership more than once and the manufactures really won't get involved) but that's just how it is.

Seems you have 2 choices:
1. Put it back to stock so it works as is.
2. Get aftermarket programmer to make it work like you want it too.

But FCA bears no responsibility in this situation. If your dealer made false representations (saying this would work when in fact it can not), then they are the only ones who can rectify it. If they just did what you asked... well... then that's on you.
Sponsored