2019 JL Sahara
Check out Chris Fix on YouTube. Great glass cleaning technique
Sponsored

mywrangfirst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler, Toyota Camry
What I use is just my regular car soap and if there are still some stains after washing it, I scrub it with a mix of vinegar and baking soda. Watched it in a random hack in youtube.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll second (or third) using newspaper. Been using that trick since I was a wee lad washing Mom’s car in the 90s. Works great and doesn’t leave streaks.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
0000 Steel Wool

I agree, that's what I use. You can also stop by your local auto supply store. They usually carry a spot remover for windshields that works good with the 0000 steel wool.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Maybe try CLR or white vinagar, there are water spot removers if you search autogeek too. I've had good luck with one from 3D called Eraser, I think autogeek or amazon would have it. My opinion on clay - Mothers is ok, ClayMagic is good, can't say I liked Meguairs, but they were all useless on waterspots. Griots Garage has a glass polishing kit if all else fails!

Sponsored

thestein13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Auditor
I would try a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and distilled or RO water to remove the spots you have now. This has always worked to remove water spots from boats. In the future, make sure the windows are not hot from the sun when you spray them with well water.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Magic Eraser or clay works well on glass. Never use the Magic eraser on clear or paint though.

Deleted member 35398

Frank,
Windows drive me crazy! Seems like i can NEVER get them clean enough.............until now! Just recently, I tried Griots glass cleaning clay............UNBELIEVABLE! My windows have never been this clean, completely spot free, and it wasn't really that difficult. Your windows look like they've been hit with hard water sprinklers, you may have to use some glass polish with an orbital polisher as well. Griots has you covered there as well. GO to their web page and check out their "how to videos". https://www.griotsgarage.com/category/how+to/how+to+glass.do I'm sure there are other products which work just as well, but Griots is so easy and everything you need is right there at your fingertips...........plus I like to support a fellow Hoosier. Also, their PFM Dual Weave Glass Towel is magic. I'm not associated with Griots in anyway, I just love it when I spend money on a product that really works. Good Luck.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Admittedly this really isn’t just a Jeep issue, but you all are helpful, so...

My wrangler is new, and I’ve been washing by hand. I have (hard) well water at my house, but have been using a softener for the first few washes. Today I didn’t use the softener to test the difference.

Basically, there’s a film on all of my windows that won’t even scrub clean. It looks like water dried on the windshield without it being wiped off, but I’ve hand dried it while still wet, and attempted to re-wet and scrub the stuff off. Nothing. I’ve also used an organic window spray (similar to windex) and that doesn’t help at all.

Any thoughts? I doubt it’s calcium or other mineral deposits because I’ve been using soft water, but maybe it’s salt deposits that just bake on at the slightest hint of being dried? Tips on preventing this and cleaning the stuff off that’s stuck on there?

Photo attached.

D365636B-DFB0-4A3D-A2AB-FF541F8C6671.jpeg
That looks like a problem I had with my Jetta. However I tried to clean it,nothing worked. It was mostly in the early morning when wet with dew that I noticed it. Turned out they had to replace the windshield because it was the deterioration of the lamination in between the two layers of glass. The dealer sad in 20 years it was only the second time he had seen it. Yours looks very much the same .. Hope not.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thanks everyone! These responses have really confirmed the value of this forum to me. Really appreciate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Frank,
Windows drive me crazy! Seems like i can NEVER get them clean enough.............until now! Just recently, I tried Griots glass cleaning clay............UNBELIEVABLE! My windows have never been this clean, completely spot free, and it wasn't really that difficult. Your windows look like they've been hit with hard water sprinklers, you may have to use some glass polish with an orbital polisher as well. Griots has you covered there as well. GO to their web page and check out their "how to videos". https://www.griotsgarage.com/category/how+to/how+to+glass.do I'm sure there are other products which work just as well, but Griots is so easy and everything you need is right there at your fingertips...........plus I like to support a fellow Hoosier. Also, their PFM Dual Weave Glass Towel is magic. I'm not associated with Griots in anyway, I just love it when I spend money on a product that really works. Good Luck.
Thanks Denny! Based on some of the earlier comments about clay and your response here, I'm going to order some of these products. Just went on the website and really appreciated the tutorials. Thanks!

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
That looks like a problem I had with my Jetta. However I tried to clean it,nothing worked. It was mostly in the early morning when wet with dew that I noticed it. Turned out they had to replace the windshield because it was the deterioration of the lamination in between the two layers of glass. The dealer sad in 20 years it was only the second time he had seen it. Yours looks very much the same .. Hope not.
Yeah let's hope not! That being said, the windshield is already cracked, though, so it won't be too long before I'll need to replace it.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
White Vinegar.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Lots of great options and discussion here.

I want to add though - if you have hard water get a good filter for your hose. I use the Mr. Clean sprayer that has a filter in it, but there are also inline filters you can get. No amount of cleaning will get rid of hard water spots if they just go back on in the final rinse.