Sponsored

35" and 37" JL pics with lift kit

mbuck45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have seen some negative feedback on the highway handling with the 37s. I really like the look of the 37s with the 2" lift but I am torn between 35s and 37s. Majority of time with be a DD and some highway travel but I want to also be able to offroad.

I am interested in performance loss for lower and higher speeds with the larger tires as well as overall handling. If you have been able to see the impact to fuel economy, I would like to know what I am up against before doing it as well.
You and I think alike! I am in the same boat and have been going back and forth between 35's and 37's. However, because mine is also a DD, the 35's probably make more sense as Jeep designed the new Rubi to take 35's easily with the 2" Mopar lift. I don't think the minimal gains of the 37" tires are worth the hit in gas and drive-ability. Then again, this is my first Jeep and that statement is only based on assumption, not experience. I am hoping others will chime in as most, if not all forum members here are way more knowledgeable than me :) Would I like to have the 37's? Heck yes, but at what cost? If other members can confirm that the difference between both sizes is minimal, then I may be persuaded to go 37's. Ultimately, I want a fairly compliant ride on road, but still want great capability off-road and I know 37's would be better for the latter, but by how much?
I can tell you the difference is minimal in terms of fuel cost, throttle responds and handling. I have maybe lost 1 mpg. It may be because of the wheel and tires I went with. KO2’s are on the smaller side, good road manners and light. The extra height is cheaper than changing my lift and it looks great! Regardless, 35’s and 37’s are a great fit for JLs.

mcclain

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - White
@SKT - you have been working overtime bro, nice work on all these pic, thanks from all of us arm chair jeep watchers!!! :)

This pic you got from Cross is money, really shows stock vs a typical stage 1 build (35's and 2")... i actually cancelled my 37's this morning... these drive so nice stock i hate to mess it up to much for the few times ill be taking it off road... i think itll just be 35's for me to start and then the lift...
I got my rims last week, and i'm wanting to order my tires this week. This is my 3rd jeep, and the JL drives so nice i'm really having a hard time figuring out whether to order the Toyo R/T 33 or the Nitto Trail grappler, but really arguing with myself to take it on up to a 35", but I cover alot of miles, and I won't be able to get my lift for a long time probably (college student and waiter) If anyone has insight it would be great, if someone has driven both. On my first JK I ran with 35's and a 3.5 inch lift, and it was sluggish, but it was the 2010 model. I really like the way this thing handles right now on stock, but i'm sure curious for real experience on how the 35's are handling on the sport vs the 33's. Thinking the 33's would keep the performance close to what it is now, wondering if the 35's push it

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZeeCutt

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR
I got my rims last week, and i'm wanting to order my tires this week. This is my 3rd jeep, and the JL drives so nice i'm really having a hard time figuring out whether to order the Toyo R/T 33 or the Nitto Trail grappler, but really arguing with myself to take it on up to a 35", but I cover alot of miles, and I won't be able to get my lift for a long time probably (college student and waiter) If anyone has insight it would be great, if someone has driven both. On my first JK I ran with 35's and a 3.5 inch lift, and it was sluggish, but it was the 2010 model. I really like the way this thing handles right now on stock, but i'm sure curious for real experience on how the 35's are handling on the sport vs the 33's. Thinking the 33's would keep the performance close to what it is now, wondering if the 35's push it
Congrats on such a cool rig for college!:)

I’d stay away from either Nitto or Toyos, I love them on my F150 and F350’s but they weigh a ton and ride stiff on a Jeep. If you went KO2’s you wouldn’t feel that much of difference bouncing up from 33’s to 35’s... the stock, tires are basically 33’s. If you really want a tougher look, MT’s, look at the Mastercraft Cousrser MXT’s (light, great tire, quiet, cheap and made by Cooper) or Cooper STT pros, similar to MXT’s but a little heavier, better looking and more money. Just my two cents.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician

Yes, Mopar beadlocks, Mopar 2” lift w/ Fox shocks and 37” BFG’s:

FFF3D8A1-C1F7-48C4-8F44-B8950C635120.jpeg
1B5C43DD-AB09-4CAA-BF60-A223501E663E.jpeg
6B47E13B-BEA4-4911-81E5-9550EB1F0F3F.jpeg
8098B77E-7F8B-4E5F-B9E9-F95C7454AB52.jpeg
996965A9-F21A-4345-815C-02D182C93A8C.jpeg
6A50762A-5772-433E-B5ED-C97DFCC062CE.jpeg
F9533E71-70BC-49D4-8FE9-6FD9075F89BB.jpeg
29E3EFF6-F5F4-4AC2-BF24-E26C5C0E1340.jpeg
7449218A-B903-40B9-BC6F-F7517CB2D96B.jpeg
0B6F0A1A-5A06-4BDC-9EF4-C81C1D733C1C.jpeg
E8E641D6-A954-4888-8198-71599BA08001.jpeg
How much for that wheel tire set up.. exactely what I want

mcclain

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - White
Congrats on such a cool rig for college!:)

I’d stay away from either Nitto or Toyos, I love them on my F150 and F350’s but they weigh a ton and ride stiff on a Jeep. If you went KO2’s you wouldn’t feel that much of difference bouncing up from 33’s to 35’s... the stock, tires are basically 33’s. If you really want a tougher look, MT’s, look at the Mastercraft Cousrser MXT’s (light, great tire, quiet, cheap and made by Cooper) or Cooper STT pros, similar to MXT’s but a little heavier, better looking and more money. Just my two cents.
Thank you! I put a ton of work into my first jeep, which really made it where I could get this one. I love this thing, if I hadn't gotten really lucky with my last 2 this one would have never happened, but I had alot in them that I got to use toward this one. I'm going to check those out for sure, I had not even thought about Coopers (or mastercraft) I really appreciate it. The KO2's are a nice looking tire, but I think I want a little more aggressive stance than that. I could only afford a sport, pretty much base package, so I've got some work to do on it, but i'll build her slowly over time, going to really try to do it right this go around and keep the integrity of the ride and the drive. Any idea if the 35's if I went MT would run sluggish on it?

OP
OP
ZeeCutt

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR
Thank you! I put a ton of work into my first jeep, which really made it where I could get this one. I love this thing, if I hadn't gotten really lucky with my last 2 this one would have never happened, but I had alot in them that I got to use toward this one. I'm going to check those out for sure, I had not even thought about Coopers (or mastercraft) I really appreciate it. The KO2's are a nice looking tire, but I think I want a little more aggressive stance than that. I could only afford a sport, pretty much base package, so I've got some work to do on it, but i'll build her slowly over time, going to really try to do it right this go around and keep the integrity of the ride and the drive. Any idea if the 35's if I went MT would run sluggish on it?
Not if they’re light MT’s like I mentioned... 62-65lbs... some 35” MTs can weigh up to 76-79lbs. The new 8spd, gear ratio and engine upgrades turn 35’s much better than the old JK. Go a 315/70/17 instead of 35x12.5, same size basically but less money. Here’s a great resource for shopping.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Nitto/Trail-Grappler-MT-315-70R17.htm

Sponsored

cliff538

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cliff538.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon