Pulled over for no doors

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Not really true. A judge can determine the law is not valid, for any number of reasons, and toss it out. What reasons those might be for a doorless Jeep, who knows. "My first amendment rights are violated when you require a door! I am making a statement about how much of a good time I'm having and the government can't censor that!" #jeepsmarchonharrisburg #breezyballs
A judge will always side with an officer over the citizen. Best one can hope for is fight the ticket and hope the cop doesnt show. Not even sure that would work if the law is on the books.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
If you cant do the time, don't do the crime. I always thought that was a funny saying. I here a bunch of whiners who apparently dont like police, or just dont like them enforcing the laws they like to violate. If you whiners dont like the laws, try to get them changed, dont break the laws, or roll the dice and break it. But be men about it, and stop whining. It was probably your attitudes that got you tickets. If you were pulled over, for a violation you committed, and werent issued a citation, then stop being a titty baby and be grateful. Man up guys.
Yeah that's it we all hate cops. lol I have family in the police, friends too, they will be the first to tell you there are some lame officers. They are also the first to say there are some really dumb laws that they arent going to waste their time on. Now if joe citizen does something else that's against the law that's a little more sane they are on it and if the perp gets chitty with them they get everything throw at them, sane and insane.

The cops I know would laugh and the door law. Of course if no mirrors maybe not.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yes, and no. Attitude has a lot to do with Police Digression. Also, there are very few Police Officers who go out there and try to enforce every miniscule violation they see. If a warning is given, then be thankful, and see about getting the issue corrected.
If some idiot is pulled over, by me, for a clear violation, that I intended to just give a verbal warning for, and he/she says I should be fighting real crime, instead of picking on them, for a nothing violation, they get the entire ticket. Respect, and good attitude will get you out of a ticket faster than a piss poor attitude, and arguing, every time.
BTW, I rarely ever write citations, but when I do, they are well deserved.
My buddys brother is an officer and has the same thoughts. He pulled some teens over for throwing trash out the window. Their attitude was respectful and he gave them a choice of a littering ticket (hefty sum) or get out of the car and clean up all the trash they saw for X amount of time. They eagerly chose the latter.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What about the person that has to scoop your brains off the highway? And what about your parents? Significant other? Kids? Friends? Tax payers that have to pay for the ambulance, fire truck, and police that show up, and the clean up of the incident? There is no such thing as "it's my life". Its not just yours, it impacts all if us.
Wow! Take a Xanax, relax.

Sponsored

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
funny i just spoke to the State Police in PA last week about this very thing. I own a CJ and because they were an option it is no problem to drive with no doors. however the new Jeeps that come with hard doors only and not as an option it is considered safety equipment. the state trooper (Jonestown Pa barracks) told me most of the state police overlook it but the local cops are another story.
WE NEED A GROUP JUST LIKE THE MOTORCYCLISTS TO GET A LAW PASSED TO MAKE IT LEGAL IN PA.
It is the only way we will get a change. There have to be enough of us in PA to get this done.
anyone know a lobbyist or legislator that is a Jeeper??
Well .... for starters, our Govenor Tom Wolf owns a Jeep Wrangler......

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
And just because a law is being ignored, doesn't make it right.
And just because a law exists, doesn’t mean it’s right either. As already pointed out, plenty of stupid laws still exist, yet they aren’t enforced!

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Yep. All they need is a slight reason to pull you over.
back in college I went to court for a traffic ticket (speeding) and not wearing my seatbelt. Basically I was driving my 1994 taurus with a busted transmission down a busy road. The thing would slam from first to second gear, chirping the tires. Being poor my work around was floor it through first gear, when it was reving good and high, let off the gas it'd shift smoothly, then back on the gas moderately. Well some undercover cop saw those shenanigans and called for a marked unit to stop me for speeding, which he did. When I got stopped, I took off my belt so I could reach my wallet in my back pocket. Cop writes me the speeding ticket on his undercover's word and wrote me a ticket because he didn't see me remove my seat belt. I go into traffic court, both the officers are in there. I present my side to the judge, the prosecuter asked me some questions and asked the officers some as well. So I asked the officers some dumb questions (uniformed officer did not hit me with radar, undercover did not have radar, both just paced me, undercover said I was doing 50 (total BS), uniform did not observe me speeding and paced me at he said 3 under. I show the judge a photo of my car with its tinted windows and a print out of some website about how the taurus transmission is a pile of shit. Judge said in his view it came down to my word vs undercover's word no evidence there and the seat belt issue there was no way the officer could have seen if I removed my belt before he got to my window. He ruled in my favor on both tickets. So not always, there are good judges (and good officers) out there. Of course there are bad ones as well, just a roll of the dice on who you'll be dealing with.
And this right here is a HUGE problem.

What kind of BS is that? Cop calls another cop on you? Neither actually knew if you were speeding or not. Give a citation anyway? So guilty without evidence and then you have to go through the BS of defending it? Taking time away and money away from you?

I live in Orlando, FL. The amount of times I see cops pulling shady things on the road is ridiculous ive been thinking of buying a high quality dash cam and reporting them all with video evidence. Sometimes Ill see 2 LEO SUVs rushing to a 4 way stop, briefly turn their lights and sirens on and squeeze past the turning lane vehicles with one side of their SUV on the median almost hitting the vehicles that are going to turn. Once they make their turn, sirens and lights turn off and they speed off. Maybe their going to a call, maybe not? Who knows? But if theyre rushing that bad, they should have their lights/sirens on at all times.

I have a lot of respect for law enforcement. I gym with a few of them every day. But just because youre LEO doesnt mean you above anyone else and/or the law. If Im getting pulled over for silly things, I think its fair that these cops should all be reported for all the crap they do...at least the stuff I can see on the road. Who knows what other stuff theyre pulling.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
If Jeeps were able to defeat Adolph Hitler then they can also defeat Tom Wolf! They can't stop us all! We won't even need some silly naruto run, we'll just park our Jeeps on the steps of the capitol and demand our rights!
....WE NEED A GROUP JUST LIKE THE MOTORCYCLISTS TO GET A LAW PASSED TO MAKE IT LEGAL IN PA.
It is the only way we will get a change. There have to be enough of us in PA to get this done...
Yes, this is how you get it done. Keep in mind the motorcyclists didn't get their way the first time around either. If enough of you are persistent about it, they'll change it.
Added bonus if you can make a level headed argument for how it's no dangerous rather than just complaining that you don't like the law.

"late signal"
8MPH over (really....?)
having iPad on mount in front of passenger side... facing passenger side... OFF. LOL

petty losers :)
These all sound like pre-textual stops or random attempts to find an impaired driver. Petty yes, but valid PC to stop a car and dig deeper. You may not like it but the United States Supreme Court upheld it as a legal seizure (Whren vs U.S.). That's federal case law not just some Podunk Court siding with the local police. It went all the way to the top and was deemed constitutional.

OR, the cop can use his discretion and choose not to enforce ignorant laws. It happens all the time. There’s plenty of actual crime out there that cops can focus on, instead of just revenue generation.
For starters the OP was NOT ticketed, and therefore the officer didn't take enforcement.
That said, isn't it possible the officer was just looking for a more significant crime?
A lot of criminals are caught by "stupid" violations like a plate light out, minor speed infraction, cracked windshield, or no front plate. All these violations seem petty and maybe they are. In some cases they aren't even a safety concern, but at the end of the day it's all VALID probable cause for the officer to stop the vehicle. Once they've got it stopped, more serious crimes can be detected.

To give an example. Timothy McVeigh detonated a bomb at a Federal building killing nearly 200 people (including children). He was later stopped for a license plate violation by an Oklahoma State Trooper. It wasn't a pre-text with him being a suspect of the bombing either. It was just an officer doing his job and stopped a truck for a minor violation. This "stupid" violation lead to him being taken into custody for a weapon violation and ultimately charged/convicted of the bombing. So yes, "real criminals" are being, and caught via these "petty" offenses. If you get a warning or ticket and sent on your way that just means you're not the criminal they were hoping to find.

I live in Ohio. We can drive with our doors off and window down as long as we have eye protection, seatbelt fastened, and a functioning mirror:like:
Yup, I see it all the time. No doors, no roof, windshield folded down and every variation in between. It's all legal too. Ohio is open air friendly.

Individual choice or not, you seem to forget that we all live in places with laws. Perhaps you should confine yourself to private property to excuse yourself from the majority of vehicle code violations.
Or take public transport. You won't get pulled over if you're riding the bus. Driving is a privilege not a right.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
What about the person that has to scoop your brains off the highway? And what about your parents? Significant other? Kids? Friends? Tax payers that have to pay for the ambulance, fire truck, and police that show up, and the clean up of the incident? There is no such thing as "it's my life". Its not just yours, it impacts all if us.
Yes and if everyone stand in the house all those people would be out a j
Yes, this is how you get it done. Keep in mind the motorcyclists didn't get their way the first time around either. If enough of you are persistent about it, they'll change it.
Added bonus if you can make a level headed argument for how it's no dangerous rather than just complaining that you don't like the law.

These all sound like pre-textual stops or random attempts to find an impaired driver. Petty yes, but valid PC to stop a car and dig deeper. You may not like it but the United States Supreme Court upheld it as a legal seizure (Whren vs U.S.). That's federal case law not just some Podunk Court siding with the local police. It went all the way to the top and was deemed constitutional.

For starters the OP was NOT ticketed, and therefore the officer didn't take enforcement.
That said, isn't it possible the officer was just looking for a more significant crime?
A lot of criminals are caught by "stupid" violations like a plate light out, minor speed infraction, cracked windshield, or no front plate. All these violations seem petty and maybe they are. In some cases they aren't even a safety concern, but at the end of the day it's all VALID probable cause for the officer to stop the vehicle. Once they've got it stopped, more serious crimes can be detected.

To give an example. Timothy McVeigh detonated a bomb at a Federal building killing nearly 200 people (including children). He was later stopped for a license plate violation by an Oklahoma State Trooper. It wasn't a pre-text with him being a suspect of the bombing either. It was just an officer doing his job and stopped a truck for a minor violation. This "stupid" violation lead to him being taken into custody for a weapon violation and ultimately charged/convicted of the bombing. So yes, "real criminals" are being, and caught via these "petty" offenses. If you get a warning or ticket and sent on your way that just means you're not the criminal they were hoping to find.

Yup, I see it all the time. No doors, no roof, windshield folded down and every variation in between. It's all legal too. Ohio is open air friendly.

So basically your saying petty laws are just another way of saying "your papers please". What a country. ;)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That's one way to look at it. Though anyone can easily avoid "your papers please" by not doing illegal stuff. Follow equipment and traffic laws and the officer has no reason to stop you. Another alternative is to walk or take public transport, and there will again be no reason to contact you. Easy peasy.
What a county? Indeed. I love it. Not many places allow you to complain about your country/state/govt and face no repercussions? Heck the USA will let you burn the very symbol of freedom (our flag) as protected by your rights. So you can use the rights of the country to protest that same county?. Man that's as free as you're gonna get. So yeah, what a country. Love it or leave it. It may not be perfect, but good luck finding somewhere better.
Sponsored