Sponsored

103 degrees out -- top back on?

Do you put your top back on and run the A/C when it gets really hot?

• Total voters

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Saw the weather report yesterday morning and we are back to 100+ temps up here in the greater Sacramento area. I was heading to a lake to do some bass fishing and took the time to put the top back on before I left. Just couldn't stand the thought of sitting at the stop lights on the way out of town with it so hot out.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I've had a few days in the 90's with the top down and decided to go safari mode to at least keep the sun off of me. Doing that plus rolling up the windows and blasting the A/C wasn't too bad. But I'm assuming you only have a hard top so probably not so much help.

Like @mwilk012 said, shade would at least help. Of course I saw plenty of Wranglers around with their hard tops on so that's a legit option too if that's what you wanna do.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I run a soft top in the summer here in Texas and when it's >95 degrees, that top typically goes back up and the AC comes on. Same for no doors and top down, I like under 95 degrees and no rain in the forecast but I've only lived here for 6 years so I'm still adjusting to the furnace that is Texas summer. I do have a sun shade which helps but...103 degrees while sitting at a stop light is miserable.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
You guys turn your AC off when your top is down? Weird.
Yeah, it serves very little purpose except wasting gas for what little it helps but I do it anyway (only when top is up but soft windows are out so at least you get a cool breeze in your face). I do that with heat when it's kinda cold in the morning too. DON'T JUDGE ME! :CWL:

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You guys turn your AC off when your top is down? Weird.
Yup, then turn it back on at lights or long stops if it's too hot and you feel like you're just sitting there cooking. In motion the ac is not needed at all.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
For me, depends on how humid it is. We had a few days a couple weeks ago that were only around 90-95, but with humidity the index put us at "feels like 105" territory. Without the humidity, I wouldn't mind it, but that moisture...

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with the alien shade on hot days. Lets me open the top and feel like I'm sitting in the shade, while still getting light and fresh air. The missus made me get it (she gripes about direct sunlight, the heathen), but I'm pretty happy I did. So my vote is for leaving the top down, but getting yourself a shade.

Sponsored

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
We had unexpected rain a few days back so I put the freedom panels on for my short drive to work. Now it’s in the 90’s with some humidity and I have left the panels on. Much more comfortable and I actually feel the A/C. I kept the trail doors on.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I don’t turn on the ac, but I do run the fan to circulate air a bit when I’m at a light. About the only time I alter that is turning on the heater from time to time. I just bring myself to using ac and no top. Seems weird.