Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
That’s the setup I’m looking for! I have a Uniden bearcat 880 and am not a big fan of the small handheld units. Doesn’t look like you used anything special? You have a write up?
I have pics and everything, I just haven't had a chance to gather them and write it up yet. I was planning on doing one because I've seen some alternatives going for $100+ online and I feel like that is complete and total BS, so if I can share what I did and help some people save some money that is better spent elsewhere (armor, suspension, tires, winch), then I really want to do that.

That said, I had to take it back out of the Jeep. I installed the soft top and the door surrounds have ~1" plastic nub with a threaded sleeve inside that goes into the roll bar for the bolt to go through. The bolt itself is 7/16" so it works with my hardware, but the hole in the roll bar is 1". Trying to see if i can find L bracket hardware with that dimension, or if i'm going to have to spend $30 for a 1" drill bit. I'm getting real close to just biting the bullet and getting the drill bit because I would really like this project to move forward before I ship out for vacation at the end of July.
Sponsored

Smike83

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport
Yeah I seen that bar too.. found it and thought yep this is getting ordered right now. Seen price and moved on lol. I can’t see how or why that it’s over $100. I didn’t even realize your pictures were for a hard top. Mine is a soft top also. That big nub on the roll bar bracket is what I’m having trouble with.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yeah I seen that bar too.. found it and thought yep this is getting ordered right now. Seen price and moved on lol. I can’t see how or why that it’s over $100. I didn’t even realize your pictures were for a hard top. Mine is a soft top also. That big nub on the roll bar bracket is what I’m having trouble with.
Yeah, that thing is a major stumbling block for me, did not expect it. I have a buddy who has some step up drill bits so I think we are going to try to bore out the hole in my L bracket to 1" diameter.

the long and the short of it: I cut the ends off the old 1/4" steel tubing I used for my TJ mount, bought 4 L shaped stainless steel brackets at a hardware store (I THINK they're used for reinforcement of wooden fences and gates, but they were stainless). I doubled them up so the thickness was about 1/4", then drilled holes in my steel tubing bar and bolted through with a 7/16" bolt and nylock nut. snugged those down and uses the larger 7/16" bolts to mount it to the roll bar.

I have a bunch pics and stuff, and I need to start a build thread for my Jeep at some point, so hopefully I'll get that squared away after work this week. I will tag you and link here to the write up for anyone interested when I get it posted.

Smike83

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler sport
I was looking at them L brackets today at the local hardware store. They were to skinny to fit the large hole though. Need to shop around and see what I could find. I have a piece of square stock left over from an old project that would work great for the cross member. Now I need to figure out what I’m going to do to mount my antenna. Build or buy.....

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I was looking at them L brackets today at the local hardware store. They were to skinny to fit the large hole though. Need to shop around and see what I could find. I have a piece of square stock left over from an old project that would work great for the cross member. Now I need to figure out what I’m going to do to mount my antenna. Build or buy.....
I'm probably going with stainless angle iron bracket from the same Hardware store for an antenna mount... If not I'll probably hammer some 1/4" Flat stock into an L and paint it black... lol.
Being on my 3rd Jeep build, I've started to gain a real appreciation for DIY solutions that are clean, effective, and cheap. If i can save $20-60 on an antenna mount and $100 on a CB mount... that pretty much pays for some other stuff (like the Alien Sunshade I got, or money toward other critical components like Skidplates, winch, bumper, or even fuel/admission for a Rausch Creek trip/ Vacation road trip)

Sponsored

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just finished installing the Uniden 560 CB in my JLUR. I used the Cooltech kit. I routed antenna cable through the rear tailgate (actually cut a hole in the grommet and ran cable through it; it was a pain in the butt to cut a hole in that thing). Then routed cable under the carpet/trim along the passenger side of the Jeep to the passenger front floor board. The cable goes along the right side of the footwell, across the very front of the footwell (way up under the dash), and then along the left side of the footwell against the center console. I mounted the transceiver on that raised area under the passenger seat, in between the seat rails. The seat still has room to slide forward and backwards and the box is out of sight, except when the seat is all the way back.

I have the Trailer Tow/HD electrical package and learned that there is actually six wires available when Jeep added the auxiliary wires. There are the four for the auxiliary switches, and then there is a red/white that goes directly to the batter, and a orange/pink that is wired through the ignition. Both of these colored wires are 10amp wires. I connected to the ignition wire so that when the ignition is turned off, the CB also turns off. I can run the CB in ACC, RUN, and ON modes of the ignition. I grounded the black wire to a bolt attached to the transmission tunnel. If you pull back the carpet that runs along the transmission tunnel/center console, you will see a bolt that has a 10mm head. I loosened that and attached the black ground wire to it and tightened the bolt back down.

I have not done the SWR test yet. I had to order a SWR tester and waiting on it.

With the Cooltech kit I got the 4' black Firestick antenna. Cooltech threw in a Firestick QD because the mic holder is made for the Cobra and not the Uniden. I hot glued the plastic holder that came with the Uniden to the metal frame of the mic holder. It seems to hold pretty well, so far. If it doesn't hold permanently I will order that metal clip mentioned elsewhere on this thread.
Ref to the 6 wires...where exactly is the ignition wire (orange/pink) wire located? Is it located in the area that the dooring wiring harness is that we unplug to remove the doors?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Uniden CMX760 mounted in the passenger foot well, with a Quadratec tailgate mount kit. I haven't mounted a hook for the speaker-mic yet, but I have a RAM ball mount on the dash that will hold it. I also installed the Quadratec trail flag kit. The hardtop glass will rub on the antenna if the tailgate is not open all the way. I imagine the Cool Tech bracket would be even worse since it's closer to the hinge.

IMG_20190711_144005.jpg
Quadratec-Trail-Flag-CB-Mounts-Installed-TC-SG.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...o-antenna-rear-tailgate-mount-48-antenna-jeep

I leave both the 4' CB antenna and 5' flag off and tied to the roll bar under the hardtop when not in use.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I leave both the 4' CB antenna and 5' flag off and tied to the roll bar under the hardtop when not in use.
Can you post a pic of how you store the 4’ CB antenna?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Can you post a pic of how you store the 4’ CB antenna?
The pic won't really show anything... Left side, on top of the roll bar, with Velcro straps inside the rear door... Clear as mud? Ok, so here's a mock-up of what I'm talking about... 4' Firestik antenna and 5' Firestik flag stored.

FlagStorage.jpg

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
I want to run the antenna cable through the cable protector in the tailgate and behind the plastic near the sub. Any ideas on where to start removing the plastic without breaking it?

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I finished up the CB install tonight. I used the CoolTech kit, and added a spring and quick disconnect. No way I can get into my garage with a 4' antenna.

It took me longer than I thought, the hardest part being routing the coax cable to the front of the Jeep. Lots of trim to take off and put back on, but I just took my time and zip tied it to the existing wiring.

IMG_2076.png

IMG_2078.png

IMG_2080.png
With the spring attached does your antennae bang against your hard top? I'm considering this set up.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
With the spring attached does your antennae bang against your hard top? I'm considering this set up.
Hi Jim

Yes, when I have the antenna on and it hits branches or after big bumps, etc. it will bang against the hard top. I keep the antenna off except when I know I'm going to be on the trail that day, and the banging doesn't annoy me that much, but you may feel differently. So far no real mark on the top from the banging, but I have black hard top touch up paint, so I can "fix" it if needed.

And if I get tired of it, I'll just remove the spring or figure out something else. :like:
Sponsored