Sponsored

New TSB JL 2018 2019: Vehicle wanders requires constant small steering corrections - New Track Bar

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was planning on adjusting more, now that there is a new revision of the steering box and pcm flash, I will be working with dealer to get that done next.

I've looked at it, looked for play, had two dealers look at it, had independent mechanic, independent alignment. One dealer says its fine, other says its not right, but drive similar to other Jeeps on lot. We all feel it is in box and steering assist. Decided to wait a bit to see if new box was coming, sound like it is here now.

Air pressure is 30-32 cold.

I would do as advised and see how you like it... this is the fourth steering box revision and we are not sure even if its going to work and if FCA is even looking to fix this issue.
Sponsored

Darkcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I brought my vehicle into the dealership for this TSB today. They took it for a drive and agreed that it was a candidate for the fix (2018 Sahara built last June). They have ordered the part and will call me when its in. I will report back if there is any improvement.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I brought my vehicle into the dealership for this TSB today. They took it for a drive and agreed that it was a candidate for the fix (2018 Sahara built last June). They have ordered the part and will call me when its in. I will report back if there is any improvement.
Which part(s)? Just the track bar?

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my 20 minute drive home from the dealer today, the new track bar does help with the wandering even though they inflated the tires to 39 (dropped it off at 34). Makes the steering feel heavier outside of the middle "dead zone" but if you have a large dead zone this will not solve your problem. I'm debating whether to go back about the steering gear or just living with it. 2018 JL sport.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Do any 2 doors have this issue?
Absolutely. I have a 19 JLR. Like others have noted, I have a baby death wobble; bump steer; constant pull to the right; wandering that went from frightening to just eye-wide-open (as if that's better) by lowering tire pressure; and a fair amount of play in the steering wheel.

Sponsored

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Based on my 20 minute drive home from the dealer today, the new track bar does help with the wandering even though they inflated the tires to 39 (dropped it off at 34). Makes the steering feel heavier outside of the middle "dead zone" but if you have a large dead zone this will not solve your problem. I'm debating whether to go back about the steering gear or just living with it. 2018 JL sport.
The dealership replaced my gear box and that made the most impact on my loose steering.
Since then I've replaced:
steering dampener with Falcon 2.2
Adjustable lower control arms from Teraflex
adjustable Yeti track bar from steersmart
Reduced my tire pressure to 34psi
had them re-torque all other front end components

Still the biggest impact was the gear box, so yes, if I was you I would have them do it

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
The dealership replaced my gear box and that made the most impact on my loose steering.
Since then I've replaced:
steering dampener with Falcon 2.2
Adjustable lower control arms from Teraflex
adjustable Yeti track bar from steersmart
Reduced my tire pressure to 34psi
had them re-torque all other front end components

Still the biggest impact was the gear box, so yes, if I was you I would have them do it

That would make sense that at the steering wheel, that would have the biggest impact.

Got quoted $695 for the newest gear box version plus an extra $75 until they get your old one back for a core exchange. Yikes.

Last edited:

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Do you have the V41 recall done?
I've never had over inflated tires cause wandering like this in anything other vehicle, but this is my first solid axle so I'm not sure what to expect. If they are 65mph vehicles, they're 65mph vehicles. That'll make for scary road trips as people blast by at 75-85mph, but at least I'll stay in my lane haha.
It just seems like the tire pressure is just masking problems.
I don't think so. Mine was built 2/19. I've checked and my vin shows no recalls. As for solid axles being different from other cars, yea, true, but neither my YJ or XJ drove like this. I can never remember being scared of either of those cars.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wonder how many dealers will just say "that's how they all drive".
Your chances are much better if you find another JL on the lot that drives right and go on two test drives, and bring printouts of all of the steering related TSBs and Star Cases.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Anyone feel like the wandering comes from the rear end? More often then not that's the feeling I get. Could be wrong. Wondering what to check under there?

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
LMAO that's totally right.

Maybe it'll respond to clicks...
I have a 2019 two door JL Rubicon with a Tereflex 1.5" spacer lift with 35" KO's and new 17 X 9 wheels. Had serious issues. Brought it in and they tightened / torqued everything plus an a alignment. Drives great. They had my Jeep for a week. Maybe they did something else but it was not on the repair order. A week to do just that but it worked. I only had 500 miles on it. December '18 build.

There's a video on youtube where the owner claims a flash fixed it, if I remember right he said his computer was programmed as a 2 door and he was 4.
Do any 2 doors have this issue?
Like you said, it feels like an electrical issue, not a mechanical issue. Is there a way to disconnect the electric assist, fuse maybe? It would be interesting to test this theory.

ShannonC

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I JLU
This is very helpful...

I just had the dealer replace the drivers side ball joints on my new 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon and adjust the alignment, which helped reduce the wandering, but did not eliminate it - they should have been tight from the factory with only 2000 miles on it now, but weren't.

Mine was built in early December 2019, so it qualifies for this TSB. And the part number of my track bar is: P68317849AA vs those noted in the TSB as the new part numbers.

But, I have no idea of what the RHD and LHD means? I assume it means "Right Hand Drive" vs "Left Hand Drive" (UK and Postal Workers)

I've notified my Service Rep, and I assume he'll schedule mine for replacement.

Thanks...
RHD - Right Hand Drive
LHD - Left Hand Drive

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
I don't have the death wobble nor major wandering but I do have to do micro-adjustments non-stop. Jeep made March of 2019, picked up in june. Had the v41 recall done before purchase.

Call this morning and got the "have you owned a jeep before" line. I don't expect much from this dealer visit. Outside of Toronto here.
Sponsored