Sponsored

handheld CB radio

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350, Ford F150, Kawasaki Teryx Sport
Hi, here in Canada the sale of CB radios is regulated and so I hope to pick up some type of small size radio device in the US and honestly I am not sure where to start and what to get. I may be traveling along some routes where there is poor cell signal coverage and I think a little handheld radio could be somehow useful to carry along for the trip. I certainly am not interested in the bulky truck driver style CB radio but just a little one with a scanner, AM / FM and an option for emergency calls. And yes I do not wish to spend too many $$$ , after I bought the Jeep the few $$ are at the bottom of my boots.
Best small CB radio option for the jeep is the Cobra 75 with a good 3 or 4 feet outside mounted antenna. Thats what I have in my 2018 4 door Rubicon and it works great and stores in the center consol when not in use. I also have a Midland 822? which is supposed to be one of the best portable "hand held" units on the market and receive/transmit distance is crap with the antenna that is included with the radio. You will need a good tall antenna for the Midland radio to work well in your jeep (just like any other CB radio). Both these radios have weather band and similar features.
The favorite of the small CB radios seems to be the Cobra 75 which works good when trail riding in close proximity. Check prices on the internet for best deals.

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
In Canada CB is not regulated. HAM, UHF, VHF, HF is regulated
right, thanks, I know I was going to get the baofeng radio on amazon.ca and it is not available in Canada but I understand what you mean, thanks

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F...aofeng+bff8hp&qid=1563939959&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This is not CB radio but a great little radio to learn and use in an emergency. I have one in the Jeep and one in a bug out bag. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to setup and use.
Correct...that is NOT a CB..it's a 2m/70cm amateur radio and it requires at the very least an FCC issued Technician Class license that you MUST test for. The FCC is serious about illegal operation of those radios in the US and have been known to track illegal users down, confiscate the equipment and fine and jail users. Just sayin'... so beware. :bandit: I'm sure Canada has similar regulations as well.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Hi, here in Canada the sale of CB radios is regulated and so I hope to pick up some type of small size radio device in the US and honestly I am not sure where to start and what to get. I may be traveling along some routes where there is poor cell signal coverage and I think a little handheld radio could be somehow useful to carry along for the trip. I certainly am not interested in the bulky truck driver style CB radio but just a little one with a scanner, AM / FM and an option for emergency calls. And yes I do not wish to spend too many $$$ , after I bought the Jeep the few $$ are at the bottom of my boots.
CB radios are not regulated in Canada. At least no more so than the US. Your rig has to conform to broadcast standards for max power, minimal channel bleed, noise, etc. HAM is regulated and licensed. I'm running a Cobra 75 that I pulled from my wrecked '16 trailhawk.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
CB radios are not regulated in Canada. At least no more so than the US. Your rig has to conform to broadcast standards for max power, minimal channel bleed, noise, etc. HAM is regulated and licensed. I'm running a Cobra 75 that I pulled from my wrecked '16 trailhawk.
Your Cobra 75?
The mic also has the radio controls and speaker, correct?
What's the volume like of the speaker?
I use external speakers but looking at these small units.

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Correct...that is NOT a CB..it's a 2m/70cm amateur radio and it requires at the very least an FCC issued Technician Class license that you MUST test for. The FCC is serious about illegal operation of those radios in the US and have been known to track illegal users down, confiscate the equipment and fine and jail users. Just sayin'... so beware. :bandit: I'm sure Canada has similar regulations as well.
I have read that only in cases of serious emergency one can call for help otherwise it is illegal to do so and in Canada they are not available for sale at all

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Your Cobra 75?
The mic also has the radio controls and speaker, correct?
What's the volume like of the speaker?
I use external speakers but looking at these small units.
Volume isn't too bad - usually I have my passenger run the rig, as I'm dead in one ear and don't always pick up what is being said. Like any CB, there's noise and such. When I do use it, I find it decent. I may install one of the external speakers for it though.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Volume isn't too bad - usually I have my passenger run the rig, as I'm dead in one ear and don't always pick up what is being said. Like any CB, there's noise and such. When I do use it, I find it decent. I may install one of the external speakers for it though.
Thanks for your help. My earing is shot as well, the reason I run external speaker in my truck.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I have read that only in cases of serious emergency one can call for help otherwise it is illegal to do so and in Canada they are not available for sale at all
I don't know where you're reading that, but 2m radios are easily available in Canada. You do need to be licensed as a HAM radio operator, however. The network is great in emergencies and natural disasters. If you're looking to keep in touch with others while running trails, get a Citizen’s Band radio, or FRS handheld. If you're really using a radio to call for help when out of cellular service a 2m rig would be a good start, but you need to be licensed.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I’d forget CB. As others have said, the range is pretty limited. You can get a ham licence with little effort or expense, and then you can use more power as well as using repeaters. Dual band radios are generally pretty cheap, with Baofeng 5’s being amongst the more popular of the cheap ones .

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 4xE, '15 Outback, '09 FZ1
Best small CB radio option for the jeep is the Cobra 75 with a good 3 or 4 feet outside mounted antenna. Thats what I have in my 2018 4 door Rubicon and it works great and stores in the center consol when not in use. I also have a Midland 822? which is supposed to be one of the best portable "hand held" units on the market and receive/transmit distance is crap with the antenna that is included with the radio. You will need a good tall antenna for the Midland radio to work well in your jeep (just like any other CB radio). Both these radios have weather band and similar features.
The favorite of the small CB radios seems to be the Cobra 75 which works good when trail riding in close proximity. Check prices on the internet for best deals.
I have used the Midland 75-822 for a long time in the JK. Used the coax connector, antenna kit from Quadratec, and a Firefly antenna I was able to get 2+ miles. The great part was being able to jump out, and throw the battery on, and you're mobile. Get a longer antenna at least 1m. All that being said, I am looking into Ham Radios now.
Sponsored