Sponsored

Uhaul won't rent a trailer if you have a soft top Jeep?

fdavid

First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Why?
Sponsored

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
U-Haul has this policy for many years (for all SUVs with soft tops, not only for Wranglers). It has probably something to do with rollover safety - I know, it's stupid...
BTW, I did not find anything about Wranglers with Sky Power Top - did anyone with a power top try to rent a trailer?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Short wheel base not considered ideal for towing? :lipssealed:

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
When they denied me a trailer for my JKU back in 2007, they said it was because if the jeep flips the trailer could then hit the soft top and go right through it.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Wow I didnā€™t know this. Thatā€™s stupid.

I could break my neck getting out of bed in the morning, but I still get out of bed in the morning...

Thatā€™s likely slim to happen but I guess there must be a statistic out there in the ethos somewhere they are going by to justify their policy...

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
A lady I work with was just complaining about this a few weeks ago. I offered to let her borrow my hard top if she wanted to. Normally I would be a little anxious about lending it, but I kinda want to see how dumb a Firecracker JL would look with with a Mojito hard top on it!!! :CWL:

CJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have tried and failed. Uhaul told me that soft tops were more likely to flip... Iā€™m no mathmagition but I donā€™t see how.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Probably similar to the reason they wont re t to Ford Explorers either.

ā€œU-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul ā€” we have built our success for over 60 years by saying ā€˜yesā€™ to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.ā€

Sponsored

Heelfan4life

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Been there done that, had to hit up a mom & pops uhaul place to get my trailor. Found it strange that for many years i could tow a uhaul trailer behind my ford mustang convertible but they required me to roll up with my hard top before theyā€™d give me my trailer.

Sherifftruman

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUS
We had the same issue a few years back with our LJ. They said the hard top would be fine and I told them it says right on there that it isnā€™t for occupant safety and would do nothing. We went back and forth and eventually I told the guy, oh, did I say Wrangler? Itā€™s a Cherokee. Those were the magic worlds.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Found it strange that for many years i could tow a uhaul trailer behind my ford mustang convertible but they required me to roll up with my hard top before theyā€™d give me my trailer.
Mustang has a significantly lower center of gravity than Wrangler.

The potential for a roll over accident is higher when towing a trailer.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Probably similar to the reason they wont re t to Ford Explorers either.

ā€œU-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul ā€” we have built our success for over 60 years by saying ā€˜yesā€™ to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.ā€
Unrelated, that policy stems from the Firestone fiasco.