First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So this weekend I did my first oil change at around 6500 miles. I realized oil life was at like 8%.

Im coming from a 2005 Tacoma and 2005 IS300. Both of which would turn on a maintenance light at around 5k miles to indicate oil change needed. Does the Jeep not do this?
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Use the up or down button on the left side of the steering wheel to menu #2 "Vehicle Info" in the dash center screen, then use left or right buttons to scroll through the items to Oil Life and hold "OK" to reset.

Gregj
Only on a Rubicon it is menu #3.

Gregj

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I believe what the OP is asking is about an indicator/warning for the oil change coming due.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I see that now. You will get a message in the dash when oil change is due, I think it is 5% remaining. His was at 8% so not due yet, but I tend to change much more frequently than that.

Gregj

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it will pop up and tell you oil change needed soon.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine popped up at less than 5% remaining, displayed a message on startup

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Yes, I see that now. You will get a message in the dash when oil change is due, I think it is 5% remaining. His was at 8% so not due yet, but I tend to change much more frequently than that.

Gregj
Ah ok, so its at 5% or less. Interesting. I always did mine at 5k.

Im wondering, if the the ~15 year diff between my Tacoma and IS300, have engines gotten that much better/cleaner? Again, I was hitting 6500 and still at 8%. Or should I stick to 5k still?

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Im kinda trying to trust the "computer." This is bar far the most tech advanced vehicle ive owned. AGAIN...coming from 2005s vehicles.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
OP, the Toyota/Lexus you previously owned was like most other vehicles with a “generic” maintenance light coming on every 5k or whatever interval the owner wants it set at. The JL, among all the other newer FCA vehicles actually calculate your oil life percentage. The vehicle is constantly taking in many factors such as engine speed, rpms, ambient temp, engine run time, etc. to calculate the oil percentage. That being said, you will probably notice during colder weather (if you live in a cold climate—didn’t check) you’ll need an oil change a lot sooner.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
OP, the Toyota/Lexus you previously owned was like most other vehicles with a “generic” maintenance light coming on every 5k or whatever interval the owner wants it set at. The JL, among all the other newer FCA vehicles actually calculate your oil life percentage. The vehicle is constantly taking in many factors such as engine speed, rpms, ambient temp, engine run time, etc. to calculate the oil percentage. That being said, you will probably notice during colder weather (if you live in a cold climate—didn’t check) you’ll need an oil change a lot sooner.
I guess this is where I wanted to get to. Should I trust the computer and wait for the indicator? Or would it be beneficial to change a lot sooner?

Thanks for your info!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On older vehicles the service required light was strictly mileage based, now the PCM monitor's how the vehicle is used and sets the service light based on that and probably many other parameters as well. The frequency of those maintenance required tasks also factors into the cost of ownership for various ratings (Consumers Reports, etc) so you have to consider FCA took that into account when they programmed that notification and it *may* not be as frequent as the Engineers wanted.

I don't wait for that light to tell me when to change the oil.

hth
Gregj

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I guess this is where I wanted to get to. Should I trust the computer and wait for the indicator? Or would it be beneficial to change a lot sooner?

Thanks for your info!
You can trust the computer if you want, many people do and I have yet to see any problems come through at work because of that (work in the service department at a Jeep dealer). However regardless I wouldn’t exceed 8k between changes even though Chrysler says never exceed 10k which is just absurd IMO. Even 8k is pushing it in my mind but sometimes the computer can go out that long...
Sponsored